Life Insurance???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratfink

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
I would love to save some money on my health insurance. It douples the price between a smoker and non smoker.
If anyone has been through this with there insurance company please comment.

You could try saying that you are using a nicotine inhaler and not using cigarettes, not sure if it would make a difference, but if you are tested you will show up either way.

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
You could try saying that you are using a nicotine inhaler and not using cigarettes, not sure if it would make a difference, but if you are tested you will show up either way.

I have thought about saying that I use the gum. It would obviously be in your mouth. However, the same rates may apply since it is nicotine.:confused:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I have a life insurance health test comming up. I havent smoked an analog in over 6 months but have been vaping. Should i put down that i am a smoker or not? They do a mouth swab test... Do you think that tests just for nicotine?

Kobayashi--with some of these companies--they take a hair sample that can trace way back. Ouch!!! I know that some goverment job applicants have had to do this as well as a few insurance companies but that is only for very large policie requests------Sun

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
I think most test's will search for the nicotine byproduct which is cotinine (cotine). TB mentioned in a thread long ago about tests for it when introducing new employee's into Public servant positions over in the US somewhere.

Cotinine is a metabolite (byproduct) of nicotine as it is “processed” by the human body. It is an indicator that nicotine has been inhaled or otherwise introduced into the body.

Cotinine is a chemical that is made by the body from nicotine, which is found in eliquid. Since cotinine can be made only from nicotine, and since nicotine enters the body with Vaping, cotinine measurements can show how much nicotine enters your body.

The only way to reduce your cotinine level is to stop or reduce your exposure to Nicotine.

Depending on how high your level is to begin with, your level could drop to that of a nonsmoker in 7 to 10 days

Last edited:

Kobayashi

Mar 5, 2009
I think most test's will search for the nicotine byproduct which is cotinine (cotine). TB mentioned in a thread long ago about tests for it when introducing new employee's into Public servant positions over in the US somewhere.

Cotinine is a metabolite (byproduct) of nicotine as it is “processed” by the human body. It is an indicator that nicotine has been inhaled or otherwise introduced into the body.

Cotinine is a chemical that is made by the body from nicotine, which is found in eliquid. Since cotinine can be made only from nicotine, and since nicotine enters the body with Vaping, cotinine measurements can show how much nicotine enters your body.

The only way to reduce your cotinine level is to stop or reduce your exposure to Nicotine.

Depending on how high your level is to begin with, your level could drop to that of a nonsmoker in 7 to 10 days

So if i dont smoke anything for 10 days do you think i will pass? I would even stay away from 0nic carts as there may be some traces of nicotine. The test they do are Blood, MouthSwab, and Urine. Not sure which test checks for Nic.

dohsma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
WI, USA
Most insurance companies use an oral swab. If you stay nicotine free for a week, I can't guarantee you'll be all right, but I would be a lot on it. They may say tobacco on their apps and whatnot, but they test for nicotine. Most insurance agents will perform the swab test and it's sent off to a lab. I had to be "certified" to do this process, which was a total joke. The certification consisted of watching a 10 minute video and taking a quiz which literally ANYBODY could have done. Kobayahshi, I think if you could avoid nic for a week, you'd be all right.

dohsma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
WI, USA
Won't the life insurance be disqualified if your family ever needs it and you were found to be using nicotine?

The answer to that may vary from state to state, but in my state the answer is no. Basically what they would do is calculate what you should have paid as a nic user and what you did pay. Then they will deduct that amount from the death benefit.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
ok so, wait.

health rates are crappy because we use NICOTINE?

that seems a little...backwards. the SMOKING is what is damaging, not the nic.

i know, totally another argument...

but still, what??

i'd assume it was the effects of smoking, the cancer, the tar, etc, that damages your health. not the nic.

that just sounds stupid.

i mean, sorry, more to the point that if they're testing for nicotine in your body and calling you a "nic user" then you must pay higher rates.

i've thought on the same thing, my rates are about double for my job for "tobacco" and non. of course most just lie, i don't think anyone bothers testing that i've heard of.

me...i'm the honest one that is now paying MORE bc i smoked on the weekends. by october when renewal comes around though, i'll be checking "non smoker."

B&BsMom

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
i've thought on the same thing, my rates are about double for my job for "tobacco" and non. of course most just lie, i don't think anyone bothers testing that i've heard of.

me...i'm the honest one that is now paying MORE bc i smoked on the weekends. by october when renewal comes around though, i'll be checking "non smoker."

Flitzanu, you’re making us Okies seem honest, lol. I checked Tobacco user in my insurance as well and am really hoping (my ecig should be here today or tomorrow) that when renewal comes around I will be checking no to the tobacco use. My insurance forms only ask about tobacco use though so I won’t be lying. If it asked do you use nicotine I would of course check yes but I’m hoping I’ll be able to honestly check no. Would they expect you to check yes if you used the patch or the gum? Neither of those are tobacco products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread