LifePo-4 vs AW IMR vs NIMh for 5v vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Try one of the NiMh batteries first. They are slightly under 5 volts rated, and under load they will probably drop quite a bit more, but I personally have never tried one. Those batteries are really pretty small and won't pack much oomph for very long.

For long term use, you'll probably want to 'Kick' that device to get a consistent hit and decent battery life.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Well, 5 hours is fine. I think I might get a couple AW IMR 18490's and the kick. It not only gives me variable wattage control, but extra safety features too. Something to play with until I break down and buy a Darwin or Provari.

That's the thing though. To use it in an epower you have to go to an 18500 or 18490. With that setup the OP's not going to get more than a couple hours. I already have a couple Buzz Pros and I tend to go back to them.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I can tell you how far the kick will get you with an 18490. About 2ml or 2.1ml vaped at 8.5 watts. For some people, that's all day... but for a guy like me, that's three battery swaps to get through the day.

The kick is a very cool idea for those who already possess appropriate mods to put them in. I like it. But I wish it could produce better efficiency. So, the cost savings takes a hit. The $45 kick plus no less than 3 AW 18490s for another $25.47... and honestly, having 6 batteries in case you're not near a charger all day is probably wise so you'll end up spending $51 on batts (That statement assumes someone like me who vapes ~6m/day). So, out of pocket is going to be $96 to be properly equipped... assuming you also have an appropriate charger.

rookbartley989

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
SoCal
I can tell you from my experience that the 4.8v NiMH batteries are good to get your feet wet in the 5v range but don't last long and drop under load fast. I bought 2 for a evercool mod I built and wound up buying a 7.4v 850mah 25C LiPo pack. The difference is like night and day the following week!

Ron -

P.S. I live in the Tustin area so anytime you are around drop me a PM, we can meet up for coffee and I will bring those NiMH's out and you can give it a go!

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have been using the 4.8v NiMH batteries for about 7 months now and I'm very happy with them.

They come off the charger at about 5.7 volts and by the time I need to recharge they are reading 4.7 volts.
I have heard that they put out much less power under load, but that kind of determination is way above my pay grade.

I can tell you that moving from my 18650 batteries to these NiMH batteries has ruined me for 3.7 volt vaping.
In fact, my Mini Reo is now useless to me, and it is gathering dust.

But without my Mini Reo I needed a new option for portability, so I recently bought a 650mah Twist.

Since I drip 100% of the time, always using the same atomizer, I can compare performance accurately...
And I would say that NiMH batteries hit noticeably harder than the Twist set at 4.8 volts, but it's close enough for government work.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I wasn't certain whether to invest in a variable voltage device, so I decided to give the 4.8 volt NiMh batteries a try on my 18650 battery APV. The 18650 and 4.8 NiMh are the same size. I rotate three of them. I have definitely noticed more vapor and throat hit, and improved flavor notes with certain juices. As expected, they don't last nearly as long as the 18650 AW IC 3100 mAh batteries I was using, but the quality of the vape is much more satisfying.

For those folks that are contemplating giving 5 volt vaping a trial, I can recommend these batteries. They are not protected, but they allegedly are a "safer chemistry" battery. They do need their own special charger (make certain you get the newer charger that lets you know when batteries are fully charged), but the recharging times are very reasonabe and I can get thru the day on 3 batteries with moderate vaping.

Somewhere in my future I will get a variable voltage device. Like others have said, once you experience higher voltage its a little tough to go back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread