Lifespan of an atty??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnkeys

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
SW Washington State
More of an advanced question from a relative newbie.

Last Dec I ordered a pair of Joyce 510's and a few spare attys. A month later I ordered a pair of Riva 510's again with a few spare attys. And later a 5-pack of LR attys. (Liberty Flights). So in total about 17 attys. From what I've been reading, 10 months, 17 attys and 2 users, we're well ahead of the curve regarding their life span.

I had one fail a few months in, several more over the last couple months and I just placed a small order with a new vendor last night.

Mean time I've been cleaning and reading, trying to eek all the use I can over the ones we have left. I just went through this thread and learned how to use a voltmeter on attys I suspect are on their way out.

It's my understanding that a standard 510 atty, rated at 2.2-2.3ohm that has begun to show diminished performance, and is reading high, 4-5ohm, is about to die.

My question is what's 'causing this slow failure? I clean with either an alcohol soak, or an ultrasonic cleaner, followed by a hot water soak/rinse and overnight drying. Sometimes this'll revive one, sometimes not.

Is there anything else I can do (short of rebuilding the coil) to extend it's life? (maybe one day I'll look at coils, but I'm not there yet.)

Thanks for reading. :)

sbphotog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
O-H-I-O
www.facebook.com
There really no way to tell how long an atty will last or any proven way to extend it's life. there are several factors that come into play when it comes to an attys life span. liquid being one of them. different liquids can gunk up the atty faster shortening its life although cleaning can possibly extend the life. I've heard of attys lasting from 1 day to several months.
there just is no definitive answer.

As far as the ohms....I can't answer that. I don't really know anything about metering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread