Lifespan of pre-built coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
hi all,

So I’m really enjoying my Geekvape Zeus RTA, but I had to get my co-worker to help with my first coil (didn’t have the right tools). The flavour is much better than the drop-in coils.

Ran into a bit of a hiccup though; the first coil started getting a bit of a burned taste to it, so I changed the coil out and now it’s shorting out (new wire/cotton). Checked back with my co-worker and his words were that the coil in an RTA would last longer than a drop in, and all you have to just change the cotton.

So my question is - is that the case? According to what he’s said the coil life lasts a lot longer and all it requires is changing the cotton out (his rda coils last about 3 months according to him).

For reference I’m using Demon Killer Flame Coil 316L 0.35 ohm 28GA*3 + 38GA (Clapton?). So hopefully that helps.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can dry burn (with caution some wires) and clean them. That means you can just rewick.

I am not of the opinion that RDA's coils last longer than an RTA's coil, it really will depend on a lot of factors, including how robust the coil is, how well you care for it and etc.

If you are looking for more longevity from your wick you may want to try rayon. There is a huge thread on rayon if you are interested, could search for the thread using the search function. I am very happy with rayon as a wicking material, I find it easier to work with (generally) pretty much tasteless (to me anyway) and it will last longer and it is also generally more forgiving as far as wicking. It may be worth a look for you.

But, with whatever wicking material, once it goes bad, you can gently remove it from the coil, and start cleaning and gently pulsing the coil (I find this works best, as far as scraping off gunked up crud, although I also will scrub it with a wire brush and swab any "gunk" out from underneath or inside the coil using q-tips dipped in alcohol, although everyone has their own method. But generally, coils last longer than wicks, so there is no need for a new coil every time you rewick.

Best of luck,

Anna

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
All good and valid info but if you build coils...wire is cheap,wrapping a new coil takes about the same time to dry burn and why use wire that has been stressed over time.

From my perspective I would prefer them to last longer and have the option to not have to switch them out.

The biggest problem I have with drop-in ones like my Vaporesso can be summed up in what happened when I bought it (nothing against the place I went to - they were super helpful and patient);

1) Buy Vaporesso, ask to buy replacement coils (GT8)

2) No; sorry we don’t have those but we only have the GT2 in stock.

3) Buy those instead

I searched through a few Australian suppliers and coils were in short supply (guessing the one I wanted was the most popular). Bottom line is when the coil goes it might not always be the wire, knowing what I know now. So could I repair a drop-in coil? No. Which is why I went for a rebuildable, because at the very least if I run out of coils I’m not going to be left high and dry I will be able to make one.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
All good and valid info but if you build coils...wire is cheap,wrapping a new coil takes about the same time to dry burn and why use wire that has been stressed over time.
Depends on the type of coils, for basic bare wire coils I would tend to agree. But for myself who my goto coils are SS Fused Claptons, no. I will use on average 28x2/38 317L SS @ around 0.15Ω which on average lasts 3-4 months. There are times when I'm in the mood to Vape on my Tootie Puffers with around a 32x2/40 317L SS Fused Clapton around 0.8Ω-1Ω, they'll last even longer around 5-6 months and sometimes longer easily. So much easier to spend a few minutes to clean the coil/coils then just rewick.

From my perspective I would prefer them to last longer and have the option to not have to switch them out.

The biggest problem I have with drop-in ones like my Vaporesso can be summed up in what happened when I bought it (nothing against the place I went to - they were super helpful and patient);

1) Buy Vaporesso, ask to buy replacement coils (GT8)

2) No; sorry we don’t have those but we only have the GT2 in stock.

3) Buy those instead

I searched through a few Australian suppliers and coils were in short supply (guessing the one I wanted was the most popular). Bottom line is when the coil goes it might not always be the wire, knowing what I know now. So could I repair a drop-in coil? No. Which is why I went for a rebuildable, because at the very least if I run out of coils I’m not going to be left high and dry I will be able to make one.

First thing I recommend is ditch Demon Coils, they're made of Chinese crapwire. Down under there are some good independent coil makers that use quality Sandvik wire, I know the Vaping Bogan has a few he recommends. To build your own basic coils insure you use real authentic Sandvik wire, it will make a lot of difference. Sandvik themselves have the patent on Kanthal for they invented it. Anyway don't get sucked into wire is wire rubbish, it's just that rubbish. Here in the States I stick to three brands of wire, Kidney Puncher, Atomizer Wick and Temco, they're all genuine Sandvik wire.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Depends on the type of coils, for basic bare wire coils I would tend to agree. But for myself who my goto coils are SS Fused Claptons, no. I will use on average 28x2/38 317L SS @ around 0.15Ω which on average lasts 3-4 months. There are times when I'm in the mood to Vape on my Tootie Puffers with around a 32x2/40 317L SS Fused Clapton around 0.8Ω-1Ω, they'll last even longer around 5-6 months and sometimes longer easily. So much easier to spend a few minutes to clean the coil/coils then just rewick.

First thing I recommend is ditch Demon Coils, they're made of Chinese crapwire. Down under there are some good independent coil makers that use quality Sandvik wire, I know the Vaping Bogan has a few he recommends. To build your own basic coils insure you use real authentic Sandvik wire, it will make a lot of difference. Sandvik themselves have the patent on Kanthal for they invented it. Anyway don't get sucked into wire is wire rubbish, it's just that rubbish. Here in the States I stick to three brands of wire, Kidney Puncher, Atomizer Wick and Temco, they're all genuine Sandvik wire.

Now that I can get behind. Always a sucker for well engineered products.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Now that I can get behind. Always a sucker for well engineered products.
Also the Bogan did a YouTube on coils and did a decent job explaining the quality wire vs cheap Chinese crap wire, check out his YouTube channel it's actually fairly recent. Plus I also believe he has sources for those of you down under.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Also the Bogan did a YouTube on coils and did a decent job explaining the quality wire vs cheap Chinese crap wire, check out his YouTube channel it's actually fairly recent. Plus I also believe he has sources for those of you down under.

I just watched the vid, not going to lie it puts me off making my own coils now, not because of the process but I would prefer to get pre-made ones I can drop in.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I just watched the vid, not going to lie it puts me off making my own coils now, not because of the process but I would prefer to get pre-made ones I can drop in.
Oh don't be put off with making your own, it's actually pretty easy for all it takes is a bit of practice.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Oh don't be put off with making your own, it's actually pretty easy for all it takes is a bit of practice.

I should clarify: it doesn’t put me off making them, it puts me off going to that extent right now. Right now I would rather get some pre-built ones ranging from cheap to expensive, seeing how they burn and how they last. Then I know what I’m looking for when I do make my own. Plus I’m not going to lie - some of the tubes they come in are awesome little carry cases; stock up on those :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread