Linux/(Windows) Gourmet Recipe Manager (Gourmet AKA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Linux/(Windows) Gourmet Recipe Manager (Gourmet AKA)
I run Linux and I wanted a database manager to be able, among other things, to search all recipes that contained a certain ingredient.

If you have Windows, you probably might want to stick with an e-calculator that has a recipe database manager built in (more dynamic).
This post is mainly for Linux users who do not run Wine (Linux enabler for windows emulation) and do not want to deal with the program problems that Wine may (and will undoubtedly come up against --read multiple horror stories in ECF) encounter. I use an on line calculator with no accompanying database recipe manager. I could not find any e-juice calculator that has an accompanying data base manager for Linux users with out using Wine. I would tell which calculator I use, but I'm so tired of seeing this joke. I want to shout.

I installed and ran the program, entered a dozen or so recipes. Ran a search and the program did list all recipes with the search ingredient specified. I did get a couple of false positives on a few chemical-name type of ingredients but what the hay, it's near perfect for the things I want it to do. The program is pretty neat and free with excellent support.

You can install it from the software center by searching "gourmet".

You might want to do a Google search "Gourmet Recipe Manager' to learn more (see Re below for general comments/features). I did a search in ECF,Google and the GPR (Gourmet Recipe Manager) developers for use with DIY recipes and could not find any previous DIY use.

I will be checking this post for a few days to see if anyone has any general user questions not covered in your additional information search.

Re; Organize Your Recipes with Gourmet Recipe Manager See You Tube also.

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
Well... it works ok... needs work, but that's what GitHub is for ;)

For the unit of measure, I went with the % symbol, since that's what a lot of people write their recipes with... this is not a unit of measure that is already in the program though.

I would like to see those of us that use the program, start sharing our recipes in one way or another, so... "do as I do, not just as I say" applies... here is something I grabbed from the DIY section and entered just to give it a quick trial... "Claim\ Your\ Throne\ Clone.grmt"

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE gourmetDoc>
<gourmetDoc>
	<recipe id="1">
		<title>Claim Your Throne Clone</title>
		<link>http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/644216-claim-your-throne-clone.html</link>
		<ingredient-list>
			<ingredient>
				<amount>3</amount>
				<unit>%</unit>
				<item>TFA Brown Sugar Extra</item>
				<key>TFA Brown Sugar Extra</key>
			</ingredient>
			<ingredient>
				<amount>4</amount>
				<unit>%</unit>
				<item>TFA Vanilla Custard</item>
				<key>TFA Vanilla Custard</key>
			</ingredient>
			<ingredient>
				<amount>6</amount>
				<unit>%</unit>
				<item>TFA Sweet Cream</item>
				<key>TFA Sweet Cream</key>
			</ingredient>
			<ingredient>
				<amount>12</amount>
				<unit>%</unit>
				<item>TFA Butterscotch</item>
				<key>TFA Butterscotch</key>
			</ingredient>
		</ingredient-list>
	</recipe>
</gourmetDoc>

So... then I changed everything to how many ml would make a 30ml batch... but it rounds to the nearest whole unit... so <1ml becomes 0ml on the recipe card, but it keeps the true value in the recipe itself. This lead me to a 'best of both worlds' approach where I would set the default batch size to 100ml, but I recognize that only greatly reduces the issue.

Consider this my request for comments on the best (aka, common) way to enter/store a juice recipe.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
needs work, but that's what GitHub is for
True. I have talked to them before and they are helpful.

JimmyDB :
For the unit of measure, I went with the % symbol, since that's what a lot of people write their recipes with... this is not a unit of measure that is already in the program though.

I have not had a chance to look into the above statement. Your point is well taken. I will post a new thread if I find evidence of contrary. Good observation JimmyDB.

Your observation is appears to be correct. Makes sense. The cooking calculator portion is structured for teaspoons, tablespoons etc..I would feel safer sticking to a e juice calculator or a combination e juice calculator attached to a recipe database.
This thread is for Linux folks who do not want to mess with Wine.
I will stick with a cloud e juice calculator and use Gourmet for mixing searches/archive.
In the process of starting a new thread on what can be done to save DIY time and accuracy with Gourmet (GRP).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread