Liquid darkening in genny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Its the juice. Three tanks isn't too bad at all. Dark juices, sweet juices, extracted tobacco juices. Long story short, some stuff doesn't vaporize. Sweet juices caramelize, seep back down and build up. Tobacco extracted juices have particulate matter in them, which darkens and seeps back down. I had a tobacco where I couldn't vape the 2nd half of a single tank. I've got citrus juices, where it takes, like 7-8 tanks.

just4747

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
This always happens to me as well with any Genesis Atty (Z-Atty U, AGA-T 2, etc) with darker, thicker juices like Alien Visions Boba's Bounty and Gorilla Juice. If the juice sits in the tank for a few days, and is only vaped here and there, I assume some of the juice that had gotten pretty far up the wick but didn't get vaporized yet seeps back down into the tank after being in the mesh, and darkens the tank juice.
After a few days, it can get pretty dark and doesn't taste as good. I noticed it also gets thicker in the tank and becomes harder to wick and usually needs to be tossed in unfortunately.

Yet, same situation with lighter or thinner juices like Namberjuice Glacier Banana or Fuzion Vapor Gumby Blood- they can sit in the tank that long and seem to stay the same viscosity, taste, and color.

Something like that anyway..

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I still torch my mesh and haven't seen the darkening liquid that I hear a lot about.

I vape ry4, vanilla, amaretto, menthol, and even occasionally clove in the same tank on the same torched wick and it stays just as clear as it is in my bottle.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that I consistently vape through a tank to empty then run a touch (0.2ml) of pure PG through the wick to clean it between flavors.

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
This constantly happens to me and I'm clueless as to what else I can do to prevent this and stop wasting half tanks of juice all the time.

I vape 18mg PG Dekang tobacco and that's it, it's slightly tan and clear but it never fails, when tank gets about half full (using Mini-DID clone) it gets darker and you can even see the dark part, almost looks like a dark cloud, suspended in the juice coming from the wick. I use 400 mesh and 32 gauge Kanthal. I've cleaned out the tank, rinsed the wick, dry burned it, etc. This happens no matter what I do in terms of oxidizing parts of the wick, the entire wick or even when I don't oxidize and use the pulse method. I only vape around 7.2 watts and my coils are around 1.6 ohms.

If anyone comes up with a solution or can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd sure be grateful.

Vape On!

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
Try torching / quenching your wicks only half way so that the wick that sits in the juice is non oxidized (just make sure your wick isn't touching the bottom or it may short out). My understanding is as you draw the juice rises to the top of the coil then as it cools it seeps back into the tank it carries the black oxidized soot into the tanks darkening the juice. The other thought is with a thick tube straw most the juice is pulled up, and some seeps through. If it gets thick it cant seep through the wick. I am tending to flush my tank with water before I refill just to get that thick juice out of there. I am also using .28 Kanthal @ .7 ohms and it seems to burn cleaner (IMO).

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
This constantly happens to me and I'm clueless as to what else I can do to prevent this and stop wasting half tanks of juice all the time.

I vape 18mg PG Dekang tobacco and that's it, it's slightly tan and clear but it never fails, when tank gets about half full (using Mini-DID clone) it gets darker and you can even see the dark part, almost looks like a dark cloud, suspended in the juice coming from the wick. I use 400 mesh and 32 gauge Kanthal. I've cleaned out the tank, rinsed the wick, dry burned it, etc. This happens no matter what I do in terms of oxidizing parts of the wick, the entire wick or even when I don't oxidize and use the pulse method. I only vape around 7.2 watts and my coils are around 1.6 ohms.

If anyone comes up with a solution or can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd sure be grateful.

Vape On!

My experience also. I never did solve it and finally just moved on to something else. I set one dud up for dripping and let the other go.

One of the the things I ran across but never tried was 500 mesh rolled solid. That's supposed to help with the runback, but I'm thinking run back is only part of the problem. I think the juice is being cooked too much also.

snickers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Los Angeles
The only thing I can add is that I get it horribly with some juices and barely at all with others. I do what is considered a medium to heavy oxidation of 400 mesh rolled with a paperclip hole. Highbrow decadent vanilla (I think was its name) was a terrible culprit. The juice left is syrupy, dark, and nasty. Doesn't taste totally disgusting but I sure as hell didn't like vaping it.

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
I'm prolly over-oxidizing, but the worst I've seen is Ahlusion Devil Dog. After a couple tanks thru my ZAP the juice is almost jet black. Next wick I think I'm gonna try oxidizing just the top half as suggested above.

The pulse method works as well, but I would try the top oxi first cause its easier and less time consuming.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
I don't believe it has anything to do with oxidation. I vape unflavored, which removes most if not all other variables, and I never get this flow back issue.

I don't get crazy with my oxidation, stove burner one side real quick.

Used to get it all the time with NET & darker flavored liquids.

Faxed in on the Mojo Wire

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
I don't believe it has anything to do with oxidation. I vape unflavored, which removes most if not all other variables, and I never get this flow back issue.

I don't get crazy with my oxidation, stove burner one side real quick.

Used to get it all the time with NET & darker flavored liquids.

Faxed in on the Mojo Wire

True, but color, flavor, and sweetener is what leaves the residue, not the PG / VG / Nicotine.

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
My experience also. I never did solve it and finally just moved on to something else. I set one dud up for dripping and let the other go.

One of the the things I ran across but never tried was 500 mesh rolled solid. That's supposed to help with the runback, but I'm thinking run back is only part of the problem. I think the juice is being cooked too much also.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks for the replies and unfortunately I don't think just oxidizing the top half would help as I've tried using an entirely non-oxidized wick (pulse style) and it didn't help either.

It's a shame as the vape I get when it's new and actually working is amazing but seems all the $ I save using my own wick and wire, I end up spending in all the juice I waste when it darkens and the taste becomes off. For now I am back to using a braided 1m cotton wick and or silica but even using that I still end up with dark juice but at least it's easier to remake these wicks than having to play with the mesh to remove the hot spots every time. With cotton/silica I usually get about two days or 2 to 3 tanks before the juice darkens and the coil and wick turn completely black.

I've been vaping since July 2010 and tried a lot of these and other popular methods and devices and its starting to get to be more trouble and hassle than its worth so I keep trying to hold out til I can find something that is somewhat more consistent and not so fiddly.

Again thanks for the help/advice and Vape On.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Krism

Verified Member
Mar 28, 2013
SF Bay Area
Hey guys,

Here is my take on this. carbon is black that is what is left from the burnt sugars, most juices have a sugar content, some more than others that is why some are worse. It is the nature of the beast as they say. Even a coil and silica/cotton setup wick will cause this after a few tanks because the sugars build up and burn and then slowly makes its way down the wick slowly. Then every time you refill it, it goes funky quicker and quicker. This can only be solved by either replacing the wick material or cleaning it very well with heat a little water ie dry burn with water on the wick or torch it.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
We looked at this in detail on another forum when I posed the same question. We had all the usual theories to start with but found that heat was the main culprit. We had members that didn't oxidize at all, some just the top, etc. One member even had a top fed Genisis w/ a non oxidized wick that darkened quickly. If memory serves me correct he had a sub ohm coil on that one. Solid wicks weren't in vogue then, so that may be worth a shot, but I still feel heat is the main culprit.

Backwash may contribute some too, but the real darkening seems to happen (for me) when I chain vape.

Krism

Verified Member
Mar 28, 2013
SF Bay Area
We looked at this in detail on another forum when I posed the same question. We had all the usual theories to start with but found that heat was the main culprit. We had members that didn't oxidize at all, some just the top, etc. One member even had a top fed Genisis w/ a non oxidized wick that darkened quickly. If memory serves me correct he had a sub ohm coil on that one. Solid wicks weren't in vogue then, so that may be worth a shot, but I still feel heat is the main culprit.

Backwash may contribute some too, but the real darkening seems to happen (for me) when I chain vape.

Yeah it does because the more you vape the more sugar that gets burnt. Once a wick starts to do this it will continue to get worse until it is replaced or cleaned very well

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I found this out by accident, ever since I started to actually use my fill screw not only did my gennies become completely pocket friendly but my juices seldom get darker any more. The caramelizing of the liquid will happen but when you vape with the fill screw in some how it doesn't get back into the tank. For me it has made a dramatic difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread