Liquid starts out clear, then gets dark and thick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin S

Apr 28, 2013
Illinios
Hi wmhiggins, sometimes the same thing happens with mine with some juices. I would not worry about it if I were you as long as your not tasting any difference from when you first filled it. I DIY with ejuice from time to time and the juice almost always starts out clear and then begins to develop color anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks after I make it. I have found that that is when it tastes the best. Hope this helps!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Yeah, that happens.
My GUESS is that some ingredients just don't get vaporized or get to the coil, and therefore condense in the remaining liquid. Either that or the color changes just from the proximity to the heat of the coil. But I don't notice flavor changing during the course of a single tank - even a big one (I have one that's 5 ml).
If it gets really dark and murky - after a couple refills - I tend to dump the last drops and wash the thing out...thinking that darker juice is more likely to gunk up the coil...

river.guy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Bullhead City, AZ
This is sometimes referred to as caramelizing. You will notice it happening from sweetened liquids far quicker than ones that aren't. When juice travels up the wick to the coil, it is vaporized and some of the left over residues will intermix with juice in the tank. When I vape my DIY stuff, it doesn't really happen to me. When I vape one of my favorite all days, which is sweetened, it happens almost every time. Chain vaping (which I tend to do) exacerbates this while the occasional puff, set device down, puff will prolong the life of the fluid in the tank. The wick material is also a big factor. The better the fluid travels up and down the wick, the more it mixes in the tank.

Juice darkening in the bottle over time happens with steeping. Not exactly sure what causes it. My best guess is oxidation. The two are not really related though, just my experience.

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
i've been having this problem with everything. i've gone through alot of CE4 clearomizers (wicked and wick less) and most recently my Mini Davide glassomizer (going through one replacement head every other day). i don't know what the heck i'm doing wrong but at this rate i might go back to plain ol' cartomizers cuz i can't afford to keep buying clearomizers. my preferred juices are Coffee and Blueberry Kona Coffee by Apollo, which are dark to begin with. i'm starting to think they are the culprits and that i should try to find a lighter juice to vape.

river.guy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Bullhead City, AZ
I feel your pain. Used to have a problem with it big time in my CE style and Vivi stuff when starting out. Not such a big deal now that I rebuild. Have you tried getting a setup where you can replace or rebuild atomizer heads? Pre-built heads are fairly inexpensive on Fasttech and wick/kanthal is cheaper yet on Amazon and eBay (per build).

i've been having this problem with everything. i've gone through alot of CE4 clearomizers (wicked and wick less) and most recently my Mini Davide glassomizer (going through one replacement head every other day). i don't know what the heck i'm doing wrong but at this rate i might go back to plain ol' cartomizers cuz i can't afford to keep buying clearomizers. my preferred juices are Coffee and Blueberry Kona Coffee by Apollo, which are dark to begin with. i'm starting to think they are the culprits and that i should try to find a lighter juice to vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread