Not open for further replies.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
@PJReid — I was wondering if you would be able to help me with some percentages. I want to make a Creme De Cassis. I have FA Black Currant and will buy VT Russian Vodka. I am not sure however thinking VT Russian Vodka may be the best booze to use however open to alternatives. I will then use this in a recipe. Much appreciated for any input you can provide.

I think VTA Russian Vodka would work but to get any alcohol flavor you will need to go up to 5%. What are your plans for the Creme part? The first thing that came to mind is to use HIC's Heart of Andes and sub FA Black Currant for the Peppermint. I up the percentages by half - 1.5% of everything except the Peppermint and I also add 1.5% VTA Sweet Cream. HIC says his Heart of Andes makes a good Creme de Menthe in a recipe, so that is probably why I thought of it for the Creme De Cassis.

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
I think VTA Russian Vodka would work but to get any alcohol flavor you will need to go up to 5%. What are your plans for the Creme part? The first thing that came to mind is to use HIC's Heart of Andes and sub FA Black Currant for the Peppermint. I up the percentages by half - 1.5% of everything except the Peppermint and I also add 1.5% VTA Sweet Cream. HIC says his Heart of Andes makes a good Creme de Menthe in a recipe, so that is probably why I thought of it for the Creme De Cassis.

Thank you so much.

Heart of Andes has been a main stay in my supply of juices. Last week I ran out and became extremely annoyed with myself that I had not paid better attention.

When I use to work in Brazil they had a simple blended dessert made with papaya and ice cream. They would ask if you wanted Creme de Cassis and I always did. They would then drizzle a shot or so on top of the papaya ice cream. I think it is an excellent idea to use Heart of Andes without the peppermint. This means I have two choices — how does this look to you?

1. Mix Heart of Andes without the Peppermint and add 5% VT Russian Vodka, around 1-2% FA Black Currant and 2-3% FA Papaya.
2. Mix 5% VT Russian Vodka, 2-3% FA Papaya, 1-2% FA Black Currant and 3-4% FA Vanilla Gelato.

Option 2 would be the easier one to mix because of less flavors being used.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
@NotSoMini - Both options sound great. If it were me, I would go with option one because I prefer creams to ice cream and gelato flavors. For you, option 2 might be ideal. I think you have a great start there and I will look forward to hearing how it turns out.

I am going to start mixing my own one-shots of my amped up version of Heart of Andes. That will definitely cut down on the time it takes to mix a bottle to vape. I don't know why I haven't been doing that already.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thank you so much.

Heart of Andes has been a main stay in my supply of juices. Last week I ran out and became extremely annoyed with myself that I had not paid better attention.

When I use to work in Brazil they had a simple blended dessert made with papaya and ice cream. They would ask if you wanted Creme de Cassis and I always did. They would then drizzle a shot or so on top of the papaya ice cream. I think it is an excellent idea to use Heart of Andes without the peppermint. This means I have two choices — how does this look to you?

1. Mix Heart of Andes without the Peppermint and add 5% VT Russian Vodka, around 1-2% FA Black Currant and 2-3% FA Papaya.
    2. Mix 5% VT Russian Vodka, 2-3% FA Papaya, 1-2% FA Black Currant and 3-4% FA Vanilla Gelato.

Option 2 would be the easier one to mix because of less flavors being used.
    I would pick No 2. Actually might make a note of that for when I get back to mixing. Ty for the idea:)

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2014
    @NotSoMini - Both options sound great. If it were me, I would go with option one because I prefer creams to ice cream and gelato flavors. For you, option 2 might be ideal. I think you have a great start there and I will look forward to hearing how it turns out.

I am going to start mixing my own one-shots of my amped up version of Heart of Andes. That will definitely cut down on the time it takes to mix a bottle to vape. I don't know why I haven't been doing that already.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would pick No 2. Actually might make a note of that for when I get back to mixing. Ty for the idea:)

Thank you both and I agree that option 2 would be the easier one for me since I do not develop recipes. The difficult part will be determining the percentages for black currant and papaya. I attempted a papaya and lime mix last year that was not good even though IRL they go together. My percentages were off and if I remember correctly the lime over powered the papaya. I have vaped black currant before but it has been a while. Going from memory a strong flavor.

I am going to order VT Russian Vodka. Also VT Bourbon and Scotch Whiskey maybe. Any other booze I should buy? I have FA Brandy, Jamaican Rum, Red Wine and Whisky. FA Whisky is an Irish Whisky so possibly similar to VT. I do like the FA version so not necessarily trying to replace it unless VT is good by itself or combined with say FA.

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Thank you both and I agree that option 2 would be the easier one for me since I do not develop recipes. The difficult part will be determining the percentages for black currant and papaya. I attempted a papaya and lime mix last year that was not good even though IRL they go together. My percentages were off and if I remember correctly the lime over powered the papaya. I have vaped black currant before but it has been a while. Going from memory a strong flavor.

I am going to order VT Russian Vodka. Also VT Bourbon and Scotch Whiskey maybe. Any other booze I should buy? I have FA Brandy, Jamaican Rum, Red Wine and Whisky. FA Whisky is an Irish Whisky so possibly similar to VT. I do like the FA version so not necessarily trying to replace it unless VT is good by itself or combined with say FA.

I have never used Black Currant or Papaya, so I am no help there. Sorry. As for booze flavors, VTA Botanical Gin is very, very good. VTA Light Rum mixes well with FA Jamaican (I use a mix of the two in my Piña Colada recipe.) I have no real experience with Bourbon or other whiskey flavors. You might find some good notes on Reddit.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire

The VTA Light Rum is a good one.Liking the FLV Bourbon also.

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2014
    I have never used Black Currant or Papaya, so I am no help there. Sorry. As for booze flavors, VTA Botanical Gin is very, very good. VTA Light Rum mixes well with FA Jamaican (I use a mix of the two in my Piña Colada recipe.) I have no real experience with Bourbon or other whiskey flavors. You might find some good notes on Reddit.

The VTA Light Rum is a good one.Liking the FLV Bourbon also.

VT Scotch Whiskey is a must have.......IMO.

LOL — I have the three flavors the both of you mentioned on my to buy list and for whatever reason did not mention them. I do have FLV Bourbon however the recipe I use it in pairs it with TFA Kentucky Bourbon. The TFA flavor fades very fast and then I cannot taste the FLV Bourbon so I do not know if TFA is cancelling out FLV for my taste. I may just wait on this one until I try FLV without TFA.

Do either of you have recipes you can share that uses VT Botanical Gin?

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    LOL — I have the three flavors the both of you mentioned on my to buy list and for whatever reason did not mention them. I do have FLV Bourbon however the recipe I use it in pairs it with TFA Kentucky Bourbon. The TFA flavor fades very fast and then I cannot taste the FLV Bourbon so I do not know if TFA is cancelling out FLV for my taste. I may just wait on this one until I try FLV without TFA.

I do have a couple gin recipes somewhere but Pam has a whole bunch of them. Do you have the Tonic Water?

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia

Gin & Tonic V1
    Aurora (FA) .5%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed) (FA) .5%
    Soda Base (SC) (Real Flavors) 2%
    Tonic Water (VTA) 3%
    WS-23 30% .75% (lower or higher, depending on how much ice you like)
    This is good as a S&V, but better with a 7 day steep.

Aurora also brings fizz and pure lime zest. It is not like any other lime out there. It is pure magic in a cocktail vape.

Lime Tahity is here for the refreshing, tart, and realistic lime juice.

VTA Botanical Gin tastes like a well balanced, high-end gin with some citrus and just enough juniper to not be overpowering. The botanicals come through with a 7 day steep.

Soda Base brings the fizz and also some mouthfeel and texture and wetness that stands up to the drier flavors of Aurora and Tonic Water. The fizz holds up in a steep. Soda Base is sweet but doesn’t impart much sweetness to this mix for my tastes.

VTA Tonic Water has a light quinine bitterness that peaks at the end of the vape. It starts off wet but becomes dry at the end of the vape due to the bitterness. The missing component in the Tonic Water is fizz. The quinine flavor develops at day 7.

WS-23 is there for the ice since a Gin & Tonic is On The Rocks! Use the amount that gives you the right amount of ice. If you fill your glass with ice, use more. If you drop in one ice cube, use less.

Gin & Tonic V2
    Aurora (FA) 1%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Cucumber (CAP) .25% (EDIT: I would use Molinberry Shape Up Pear instead of Cucumber)
    Tonic Water (VTA) 3%
    WS-23 30% .5 to .75%
    Good as a S&V. Better with a 7 day steep.

I made this version to try and create a Gin & Tonic without the sweetness of the Soda Base (which isn’t very sweet at all in the mix.) Aurora at 1% is still magical but gets dry. .25% cucumber added to bring some juiciness. The notes above apply to this mix.

Cranberry Gin On The Rocks (My favorite Gin recipe!!!!)
    Aurora (FA) 1%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Cranberry (TFA) 5.5% (EDIT: If you have it or can get it, Cranberry Super Concentrated, is wonderful and at 2-3%)
    WS-23 30% Solution .5 to .75%

Aurora is the magic once again. At 1%, it brings a lot of fizz but also some dryness. TFA Cranberry is also rather dry. This mix isn’t dry to my taste, so maybe the botanicals in the gin bring some moisture. If you find it dry, add a tiny bit of cactus, cucumber, or pear. My pick would be Molin Berry Shape Up Pear.

I mixed at least 8 different version of Cranberry and Gin. It was hard to get a balance where the gin didn’t overpower the cranberry flavor and vice versa. This one is perfect for me.

Cranberry Gin Fizz
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Cranberry (TFA) 4% (EDIT: If you have it or can get it, Cranberry Super Concentrated, is wonderful and at 2-3%)
    Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed)(FA) .5%
    Lime Tahity (Distilled) (FA) .25%
    Pink Champagne (FW) 2%
    WS-23 30% .5 to .75%
    Good as a S&V but the botanicals in the gin come through with a 7 day steep.

VTA’s Botanical Gin is the perfect gin for standing up to strong flavors. Not too much juniper, nice citrus undertones, all around great.

TFA Cranberry is tart and sweet with a moderate mouthfeel. I like the way it tastes so I use it here.

Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed) is used for the fresh, tart, realistic lime juice.

Lime Tahity (Distilled) completes the lime flavor by adding in the zest. (FA’s Aurora might be a better option here but I haven’t mixed this recipe that way yet.

Pink Champagne brings fizz, mouthfeel, and some sweetness.

WS-23 30% for the ice cubes.

Basil Gimlet V2
    Aurora (FA) .5%
    Basil (FLV) .15%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Lemon Lime (CAP) 4%
    WS-23 30% .5 to 75%
    Give this 9 days for the basil to meld.

This is refreshing and lovely. I tasted the basil on the exhale and lime and gin on the inhale.

Aurora is the magic ingredient in gin cocktails. Lovely fizzy lime flavor.

Basil adds a refreshing and interesting touch to the gimlet. Think Mojito with gin instead of rum and basil instead of mint.

CAP Lemon Lime is the base flavor here. The citrus is not strong but if brings lime, zest, and a nice, thick mouthfeel.

WS-23 30% for your ice cubes. You know what to do.

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2014

Already added to my list. Thanks for posting the discount code for Chefs. Will place my order hopefully tonight or tomorrow — do not want to miss out. If you or @PJReid are not ordering from Chefs and if there is anything you would like me to buy for you, just let me know.

Gin & Tonic V1
    Aurora (FA) .5%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Soda Base (SC) (Real Flavors) 2%
    Tonic Water (VTA) 3%
    WS-23 30% .75% (lower or higher, depending on how much ice you like)
    This is good as a S&V, but better with a 7 day steep.

Aurora also brings fizz and pure lime zest. It is not like any other lime out there. It is pure magic in a cocktail vape.

Lime Tahity is here for the refreshing, tart, and realistic lime juice.

VTA Botanical Gin tastes like a well balanced, high-end gin with some citrus and just enough juniper to not be overpowering. The botanicals come through with a 7 day steep.

Soda Base brings the fizz and also some mouthfeel and texture and wetness that stands up to the drier flavors of Aurora and Tonic Water. The fizz holds up in a steep. Soda Base is sweet but doesn’t impart much sweetness to this mix for my tastes.

VTA Tonic Water has a light quinine bitterness that peaks at the end of the vape. It starts off wet but becomes dry at the end of the vape due to the bitterness. The missing component in the Tonic Water is fizz. The quinine flavor develops at day 7.

WS-23 is there for the ice since a Gin & Tonic is On The Rocks! Use the amount that gives you the right amount of ice. If you fill your glass with ice, use more. If you drop in one ice cube, use less.

Gin & Tonic V2
    Aurora (FA) 1%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Cucumber (CAP) .25% (EDIT: I would use Molinberry Shape Up Pear instead of Cucumber)
    Tonic Water (VTA) 3%
    WS-23 30% .5 to .75%

I made this version to try and create a Gin & Tonic without the sweetness of the Soda Base (which isn’t very sweet at all in the mix.) Aurora at 1% is still magical but gets dry. .25% cucumber added to bring some juiciness. The notes above apply to this mix.

Cranberry Gin On The Rocks (My favorite Gin recipe!!!!)
    Aurora (FA) 1%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Cranberry (TFA) 5.5% (EDIT: If you have it or can get it, Cranberry Super Concentrated, is wonderful and at 2-3%)
    WS-23 30% Solution .5 to .75%

Aurora is the magic once again. At 1%, it brings a lot of fizz but also some dryness. TFA Cranberry is also rather dry. This mix isn’t dry to my taste, so maybe the botanicals in the gin bring some moisture. If you find it dry, add a tiny bit of cactus, cucumber, or pear. My pick would be Molin Berry Shape Up Pear.

I mixed at least 8 different version of Cranberry and Gin. It was hard to get a balance where the gin didn’t overpower the cranberry flavor and vice versa. This one is perfect for me.

Cranberry Gin Fizz
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Cranberry (TFA) 4% (EDIT: If you have it or can get it, Cranberry Super Concentrated, is wonderful and at 2-3%)
    Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed)(FA) .5%
    Lime Tahity (Distilled) (FA) .25%
    Pink Champagne (FW) 2%
    WS-23 30% .5 to .75%
    Good as a S&V but the botanicals in the gin come through with a 7 day steep.

VTA’s Botanical Gin is the perfect gin for standing up to strong flavors. Not too much juniper, nice citrus undertones, all around great.

TFA Cranberry is tart and sweet with a moderate mouthfeel. I like the way it tastes so I use it here.

Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed) is used for the fresh, tart, realistic lime juice.

Lime Tahity (Distilled) completes the lime flavor by adding in the zest. (FA’s Aurora might be a better option here but I haven’t mixed this recipe that way yet.

Pink Champagne brings fizz, mouthfeel, and some sweetness.

WS-23 30% for the ice cubes.

Basil Gimlet V2
    Aurora (FA) .5%
    Basil (FLV) .15%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Lemon Lime (CAP) 4%
    WS-23 30% .5 to 75%
    Give this 9 days for the basil to meld.

This is refreshing and lovely. I tasted the basil on the exhale and lime and gin on the inhale.

Aurora is the magic ingredient in gin cocktails. Lovely fizzy lime flavor.

Basil adds a refreshing and interesting touch to the gimlet. Think Mojito with gin instead of rum and basil instead of mint.

CAP Lemon Lime is the base flavor here. The citrus is not strong but if brings lime, zest, and a nice, thick mouthfeel.

WS-23 30% for your ice cubes. You know what to do.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You are absolutely amazing. I see a big Chef Flavours order in my very near future.

Regarding Cranberry, is the Super Concentrated version also TFA? MB Shape Up Pear will be my first MB concentrate. I know Vaperstek sells some however Chefs probably has a bigger selection. Any other MB that I should get? Both VT and INW have a Cherries in Liqueur. Based on the very little information I could find it appears INW might be the better bet. Nothing in mind for it however since I am shopping across the pond will add it. I have VT Marmalade on my list too. Dazcole has a recipe on ATF that sounds good to me that also uses the BG — marmalade G&T

I am so excited to be going down a different flavor path that I have only treaded lightly on so far.

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Regarding Cranberry, is the Super Concentrated version also TFA? MB Shape Up Pear will be my first MB concentrate. I know Vaperstek sells some however Chefs probably has a bigger selection. Any other MB that I should get? Both VT and INW have a Cherries in Liqueur. Based on the very little information I could find it appears INW might be the better bet. Nothing in mind for it however since I am shopping across the pond will add it. I have VT Marmalade on my list too. Dazcole has a recipe on ATF that sounds good to me that also uses the BG — marmalade G&T

I am so excited to be going down a different flavor path that I have only treaded lightly on so far.

Do you know about the Birthday Sale at Chef's - 20% off until March 31st? That code is SIXYEARS.

As for the Super Concentrated Cranberry, it is part of the Super Concentrates (SC) brand that some vendors rebottle and use their own label (FE Lemon is one.) I have only found the Cranberry at Vaperstek and Vapingzone. It needs a steep but is, IMO, the best cranberry flavor I have tried.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Already added to my list. Thanks for posting the discount code for Chefs. Will place my order hopefully tonight or tomorrow — do not want to miss out. If you or @PJReid are not ordering from Chefs and if there is anything you would like me to buy for you, just let me know.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You are absolutely amazing. I see a big Chef Flavours order in my very near future.

Got my eye on the Molinberry Glamour Chocolate that was recommended to me. It will be my first Moliberry flavor.

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2014
    Do you know about the Birthday Sale at Chef's - 20% off until March 31st? That code is SIXYEARS.

As for the Super Concentrated Cranberry, it is part of the Super Concentrates (SC) brand that some vendors rebottle and use their own label (FE Lemon is one.) I have only found the Cranberry at Vaperstek and Vapingzone. It needs a steep but is, IMO, the best cranberry flavor I have tried.

Yes, thank you. I saw @FranC post on the Random thread. I need to keep in mind the time difference between Chefs and us so I do not miss the deadline.

I saw your list on the Random thread and have added a number of flavors to my list. Any recommendations for Russian Vodka recipes in case I need to buy new flavors?

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I will order for you. No biggie as I have some other flavors I am holding for you so will just include MB.
    No no, but thank you so much.:wub: I still have my little stash of spending money and there are a couple other things I'm looking to get.

Reactions: IDJoel
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread