The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Liquor Flavors?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by FranC, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. NotSoMini

NotSoMini Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Jul 13, 2014
    I had to run out to take care of a couple of chores. I came close to bringing the tanks with me however decided against it. BTW the one with papaya in it is not as tart at the one without although still some has tartness to it. I had this when I was working in Brazil several times so must be unique to Brazil — I really do not know. If there was a liquor store that sold the small bottles like the airlines use I would buy CDC although not so sure this particular liqueur would be available in the small bottle size. The one thing for sure that I do remember is that it is a strong liqueur like most liqueurs tend to be.

The vodka comes and goes however I will wait till I add the red wine and then decide whether I need to add more vodka. How long do you normally steep your vodka flavors? Unless I know for sure that VT does not add any type of sweetener in their Sweet Cream, I will shy away for now.

Penny thoughts are always welcome. I agree that liqueur flavors are sweet and syrupy-like. I had considered adding Marshmallow so will do so for sure. I forgot I have FA Maple Syrup which I did use in a recipe at a low amount and did like it. I do not remember if it had a syrupy feel or not. I will leave this thought on the back burner for now.

Thanks @JPReid and @IDJoel — For my next mix, I will add 1% FA Marshmallow to both recipes #1 and #2 unless either of you do not agree with the percentage. Also either 0.3 or 0.4% FA Red Wine to both recipes — help me decide. I will hold off adding more Fresh Cream to #1 for the time being so see what happens with the Marshmallow. I think #2 as is fine with the 1% Vanilla Gelato. If anything maybe an additional 0.5% but will hold off on this too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I agree with you, for the most part. I use marshmallow in liqueur flavors often. Meringue works well too. There are some liqueur flavors that mix well with creams and give the mix the perception of creamy richness. I thought cream was worth a try for @NotSoMini 's Creme de Cassis but it might be that something with the perception of syrup might work better, or a combination. Experimentation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  3. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    @NotSoMini - the vodka flavor takes about 3 weeks to really come through. The generic Vodka flavor is more noticeable at that point. I still like it as an S&V though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I have ZERO experience with any red wine concentrates. I can't even think of how to advise.
    I might suggest a side-by-side testing of cream vs. marshmallow (not combined). Cream may very well add the missing component. I do NOT have near the practical on-hand experience that mixers like PJReid has. PJ knows what works for her, and what doesn't... through her own practical application and testing.

I am still 80% hypothetical, and only 20% practical. One thing I am still learning... with much resistance... is real life applications, don't always translate to vaping. I still have to start out with the simplest of "either/or" trials. More subtle "combinations" elude me until I can differentiate any differences.

PJ has already put in this work.
    And you are NOT the least bit wrong.:thumbs:

I still tend to think in the terms of "black and white." You have a much better understanding/experience to paint with countless shades of grey.

Your evaluations, and perceptions, have been immeasurable to me. You have broadened my own awareness(?) to flavor evaluation. I do not always share your same result; but you have always added a more thorough understanding (evaluation?) to concentrates we both have tried. You tend to offer thought, comparison, and perception. I always value your input:wub:.

• Like Like x 3
  5. NotSoMini

Jul 13, 2014
    Thank you both for your input and comments — always, always appreciated. I need to digest all of this to determine my next steps so will table this temporarily. As both of you know I am not a developer of recipes and the few attempts I made did not produce results.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. NotSoMini

Jul 13, 2014
    Good to know. I have enough left in my 10ml sample bottles and my plan is to let them continue steeping to see how the black currant and papaya flavors hold up. This will also give the vodka the time it needs. I think it was there and it could be I just did not recognize it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. NotSoMini

Jul 13, 2014
    I mixed a couple more samples of Creme De Cassis. I added 0.4% FA Red Wine and 1% FA Marshmallow to both recipes. I like what the Red Wine is adding to this flavor. I am going to let this steep for two weeks to see how everything holds up although.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. NotSoMini

Jul 13, 2014
    A friend made a trifle dessert at Easter. In the past she has always used sherry however this time she used limoncello. It was so good that I am going to attempt a Limoncello recipe.

• Like Like x 3
  9. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Following the conversation here.Still on vacation for one more day

• Like Like x 2
  10. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Limoncello is delicious. VTA Russian Vodka, FE Lemon, FA Oba Oba, VTA Lemonade Clear or LA Lemonade, and a sweetener. I would probably have to add some WS-23 since I like everything on-the-rocks. Thanks for the idea.

• Like Like x 4
  11. NotSoMini

Jul 13, 2014
    If you do not mind I would like to tag along as you are much better at this than me. I was thinking FA Lemon Sicily and FE Lemon. The reason I was thinking FA Lemon Sicily is because in HIC’s FA notes it is described as a limoncelIo liqueur or Italian ice flavor. I never would have thought about using lemonade. I did buy LA Lemonade earlier this year although I have not used it yet. I read it is supposedly the best lemonade. I was planning to use Marshmallow as my sweetener however Oba Oba is a brilliant idea. No doubt Russian Vodka. Would FA Lemon Zest be appropriate? In looking at homemade limoncello recipes lemon zest is mentioned as a ingredient.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I like Lemon Sicily and that probably is a better choice for a Limoncello than a lemonade flavor would be. I was just brainstorming. As for lemonade flavors, LA was my favorite lemonade but I do like VTA Lemonade Clear a bit more now. To my tastes, it is a bit fresher than LA - a bit more tart and bright. That alone might make it a bad choice for Limoncello since Limoncello is very sweet. I still haven't made a new sft for the Lemon Zest but it would probably go very well from what I recall. I do need to test that flavor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    BUMP for the thread. I have to catch up with vaping my mixes and get back to some boozy stuff.

• Love Love x 1
  14. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Okay gang, summertime is upon us, and it is time to break out the booze! Who has boozy vape recipes to share? What Recipes will you be mixing first? What recipes/ingredients, do you want to try making a boozy vape with?

Let's give this thread a little bit of love. Old favorites? New ideas? It's all fair game!
    :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  15. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    A new recipe that I haven't mixed yet but works well on paper. ;)

Gin & Lemon

Botanical Gin (VTA) 3.75%
    Lemon (FE) 2%
    Lemon Zest (UK Blends) (FA) .5%
    Sour Lemon (VTA) 2%
    Super Sweet (CAP) .5%
    WS-23 30% .5%

• Like Like x 4
  16. Zazie

Zazie Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Creme de Cassis is French. I first encountered it at a restaurant called Chez Marcel in Paris that always served a complimentary Kir (white wine and creme de cassis; the fancier Kir Royale subs champagne for the white wine) before the meal. Fell in love with it then, though for some reason I never bought a bottle of it.

I bet Pink Bubbly with your Creme de Cassis #1 would be tasty.

• Like Like x 3
  17. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I have a few booze flavors but I haven’t played with them yet. The tequila smells really promising though, I ought to try some margaritas recipes.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Suzanne Thomas
    This message by Suzanne Thomas has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jun 25, 2019, Reason: Not a topic for discussion on ECF.
    Jun 24, 2019
  19. Zazie

Zazie Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    This is a handy starter thread.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Well I can make a suggestion for a newbie. Do not accidentally mix a margarita mix and a gin and tonic mix in the same bottle.

The results were not auspicious. It tasted more like mad dog. It was one of the few recipes I messed up that I did not even ATTEMPT to fix.

I have never had Zima (and it is a resentment I have that they all came out with it right after I got sober) but had it had a little fizz to it, I probably would have called it Zima.

And still did what I did which was pour it straight down the drain.

Anna

• Funny Funny x 2
  21. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Any new boozy stuff recipes?

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.