Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Faaaacinating! I have only read oblique references to solid state lithium. I’ve never actually seen a video before. Thanks :)
The impression I received is that the theoretical maximum energy density for solid state lithium is twice that of current batteries, so I suspect improvement is likely

Reactions: stols001

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain

The stiff one is 1900 mAh already, parallel two with a good balancing circuit...
Same class cells in parallel operate as a single battery with an arithmetic sum of all cell capacities and cell conductances (conductance is the inverse of resistance, and together with cell heat dissipation ability mostly determines it's current handling). This is super common in laptop packs.
Even when paralleling li-ion cells with somewhat different chemistries (different energy densities and discharge ratios) this rule would still apply, although each cell discharge curves, relative energy densities and cycle life would still apply and affect the team long term. I once tried small high discharge cells in parallel with bigger, lower discharge ones for improved starting torque in a drill and it worked. But of course take this with a grain of salt, know what you are doing, your mileage may vary, etc. ;)
By the way, when I say cells in parallel I mean cells connected with ultra low resistance paths, preferably soldered or spot welded with nice gauge. This is what keeps teamed cells auto-balanced without effort.
Remember to keep your battery poles and mod cell contacts clean and tight, please. :thumb:

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Same class cells in parallel operate as a single battery with an arithmetic sum of all cell capacities and cell conductances (conductance is the inverse of resistance, and together with cell heat dissipation ability mostly determines it's current handling). This is super common in laptop packs.

The cycle life spec has a fundamental effect on what current rating a cell is given. The percentage loss of capacity and percentage increase in internal resistance are the specs you see in the datasheets for cycle life determination.

Heat dissipation ability varies little between cells of the same size. Internal resistance is the primary cause of cell heating but how much that is allowed to impact the current rating depends on the cycle life spec chosen for that cell.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread