Lithium Werks 30A 1100mAh 18650 LiFePO4 cells are in the testing queue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    As I understand it these cells are manufactured under license and use the incredible performing A123 Systems cell chemistry. This chemistry is lithium-ferrous-phosphate (LFP) or LiFePO4 and is the safest of the lithium-ion chemistries we have access to. There are other names for it like lithium-iron-phosphate too.

3EDCA68A-0602-4286-9012-DF6A45D6F05D.jpeg C3CFBE2F-7A94-4FAE-B2B8-DEDB214A1366.jpeg

Being the most stable of the li-ion chemistries we use does not mean they are “safe” and that you are free to do whatever you want with them!

It is harder though to force them into thermal runaway than the other chemistries we use. If they do go into runaway the reactions happen at much lower temperatures and they typically don’t catch fire.

These are 30A cells but LFP chemistry has much lower energy density than we’re used to, only 1100mAh (min)/1200mAh (typical) for these 18650’s. That’s the tradeoff for the greater safety.

They’re best used in stacked mechs in my opinion. They won’t run for very long but their discharge curve is very flat making for a very consistent vape compared to regular round cells and even when compared to pouch LiPo’s.

But before you head out to buy some there are some things to consider...
    • These are 3.3V batteries and must be charged to only 3.6V. NEVER CHARGE THEM TO 4.2V!
    • The run at near 2.5V when run near their 30A rating.
    • You cannot use them in a regulated device unless it has a DNA board in it and you have set it up properly for LFP/LiFePO4 cells.
    • They are very low capacity for their size.
    • If you need a 30A 18650 for a standard regulated mod then I recommend the Samsung 20S.
    I also hope to test the Lithium Werks 26650 soon. The A123 26650’s I tested a couple of years ago were incredible performing 50A+ cells and these Lithium Werks cells should be too as they license the same technology used in the A123 cells.

My thanks to 18650batterystore.com for sending a pair over for testing!

For more info on these cells check out the Lithium Werks web site: https://lithiumwerks.com

jandrew

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Glad to hear they are in your queue and look forward to seeing your results. I've been using Vapcell IFR26650s for a couple months, and now the Lithium Werks 18650s for just over a week. I know you recommend them for series mechs, but I gotta say, they also work great for those of us who vape more in tootle puffer territory with single cell mechs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread