The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Little itty bitty mods under $100.

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by Katdarling, Jan 9, 2015.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Anyone regularly use on-board charging for the Colossal? Website warns against.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

Don't have one, but I don't use onboard charging on anything :)

IIRC, there were times when the onboard charger was the failure point of several mods, and I find it easier to just swap in fresh, keep vaping and charge when convenient.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Daniel Forsyth

Daniel Forsyth Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I never have on any of my Asmodus mods, there main purpose is for firmware upgrades and your right it's not recommended to charge through the USB port but it's not a problem to do if you can't get to your external charger:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. magicmyst

magicmyst Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Got my Colossal today and can't get it to fire in TC or TCR modes. I did a cold resistance check and set it, set the temp (200℃) and wattage (20 watts) and it's reading the coil correctly. What am I doing wrong? @Daniel Forsyth - You're familiar with this mod. Any tips?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daniel Forsyth

Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I am familiar with the Colossal but unfortunately I'm not familiar with temperature control, sorry.
    I do know that @AngeNZ and @ShowMeTwice have a good knowledge of the temp. control on the Colossal hopefully they can pop over and help.
    Good Luck Mate:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  6. magicmyst

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    OK...I've got it working. It has to do with the "M" Mode (M1, M2, M3, M4, M5). I had it in M1. Switched it to M5 and now it's firing in TC and TCR modes. Can someone explain these "M" settings to me?

• Like Like x 5
  7. Cloud-FF7

Cloud-FF7 Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    I think those are just memory settings.
    You program them for specific attys if you like to use several ones on the same mod.
    You assign M1 to certain parameters with your atty,then imagine you switch to another atty and use it for awhile,well if you go back to your previous atty you just go to M1 and it's ready with the parameters you previously saved.

I think that is what those are for,but i only remember it from watching youtube videos so i cant guarantee im 100% right.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. magicmyst

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks, @Cloud-FF7 - That was my understanding too, but I thought I'd set everything up for M1, but I guess not.

• Like Like x 3
  9. ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice PlusOnceMore ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I use TCR temp control mode on all my Colossal's. Here are some settings to check...

1. On the Colossal did you read the cold resistance of your atty? Need to do that before TC or TCR modes will work correctly on the Colossal (actually just about all Asmodus mods).

Click the fire button 5x, you'll see the power off symbol/screen, swipe right and you will see an Ohm sign (Ω). Select it and it will display the resistance of your atty's coil. Press fire and it will lock in that resistance into the Colossal. TC/TCR/TFR will not work correctly without setting that.

Based on your post I'm guessing you did that???

2. Under TCR mode you need to set a "TCR" value for M1-M5. M1-M5 are memory locations for different TCR settings for the various TC wire types.

Under TCR mode if you unlock the Colossal screen and press TCR until the display changes to a +/- setting you can see what the current value is and change the TCR value. To change settings you can swipe left or right to move the cursor. The M1-M5 default setting is 0.00000. Vaping at 0.00000 would be a very poor TC vape.

Daniel at DJLsb Vapes performed TC testing on the Colossal and determined it under performs in TC. He found setting a TCR value of 0.00140 for a single coil ss316L was approximately the equivalent of TC on a DNA mod. Dual coil ss316L TCR setting 0.00150.

If you are using TC wire other than ss316L then you will need to find the ranges for that wire type.

I setup M1 with a value of 0.00140 on my Colossal's and under TCR mode TC works great. You can setup any of M1-M5 for values you choose. Example: 0.00092 - 0.00140.

Try setting up M1 (or M2-M5) for 0.00140 and then try TCR. You should notice a difference.

Under TCR mode you can vape a tank dry without burning your wick. Asmodus TC is excellent.

Hope that helps! :)

ETA: If you setup values under TCR mode and then switch to basic TC mode the Colossal will NOT use your TCR setting. You need to vape under TCR mode.

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ShowMeTwice

Supporting member
    You rock! Thanks for the code. I know you ALWAYS have an Asmodus code!
    Bought more Colossal's (backups for backups).

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  11. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Lunatic ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I've only ever onboard charged my Colossal when it got low while I was driving. Usually I external charger the batteries.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Daniel Forsyth

Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I have too many Asmodus codes ATM, I don't know what do with em' all:w00t:
    I'm sure I'll think of something;)
    But you can thank the lovely @AngeNZ for the VaporRange code, she popped it up on the Shiny Thread a while back and I've had it in the back of my head ready to be used at any time:p

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  13. MikeE3

MikeE3 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Thanks for pointing that out. We rarely use our Colossal's more of backups for backups, but were charging them vis the port. Will stop doing that now.

• Like Like x 4
  14. magicmyst

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks so much, @AngeNZ! I'm using 0.00140 in TCR and getting a nice vape. FWIW, my typical builds (on doggies) are 26g 316L, .35Ω - .41Ω. In power mode, I vape at around 19.5 watts. I've got TCR set for 25W/205℃.

I still can't get it to fire in basic TC mode, using the same 25W/205℃. setting. Is this normal- one or the other, but not both?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Ooops, I worded my post wrongly. I was actually looking for a nice mod to onboard charge ALL the time. Like some do with the Pico. There are really no quality Lipos out there.

• Like Like x 2
  16. MikeE3

MikeE3 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    On the other hand ... Asmodus website also says we shouldn't use their products for vaping ... unless you can figure out how to use a decorative device w/o a battery to vape. So they may be overly cautious with the recommendation not to charge through the USB port ... just saying/guessing. :rolleyes:

Quoted from their site: "The electronic devices we put for sale are for decorative purposes only. Do not put any battery or power up these decorative products, as it may cause fire or explode" :shock:

Perhaps we shouldn't even be purchasing these mods if the manufacturer considers them decorations and too unsafe to insert a battery. :D

• Funny Funny x 9
  17. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Uh, can't help, then, since I don't...

But, hopefully, the early on-board charger issues have been resolved by now...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. ShowMeTwice

Supporting member
    Happy you got it going in TCR mode.

On mine I just switch over to basic TC mode and vape. However in basic TC mode with the Asmodus default TCR setting it is a weak vape. You should be able to switch between TC and TCR modes and it should fire.

Just tested one of mine and it works using either basic TC or TCR mode. Maybe it's not seeing your atty in basic TC mode. Not firing would be a sign of that. Perhaps try pulling the battery, wait a minute or so, pop the battery back in, re-read your atty's cold resistance and then try it in basic TC mode.

It should work in either mode - it's not a one or the other.

Hope that helps. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. magicmyst

May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Nope. Not on mine. It fires in TC Mode, but very feebly- just a whimper. TCR is fine. Same settings in both, so it should work. It's also fine in straight power mode. It's a nice little mod, but it pales in comparison to my Aegis Solo in nearly every way.

• Like Like x 1
  20. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Are the Colossals Vapor Range is selling needing the V16 firmware update?