Local Ky TV station ond e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Teen use of e-cigarettes IS a problem. I've spoken to several high school as well as junior high teachers here in Ohio and they say it is a problem, although I don't know if I would classify it as an "epidemic". It's usually, from what I gather from the teachers, a niche group of students that use them.

I don't agree with Mr. Gottlieb's threat that if the so called epidemic of e-cig use among teens isn't stopped, it will be handled by an outright ban even for adults, The same for banning flavors in e-cigarettes. Limiting sales to vape shops where ID's can verify the consumer's age is a good move as well as online credit card sales; not many kids have their own credit card and if they do I bet their parents are responsible for the payments.

The problem lies when irresponsible adults supply kids with vape products. I don't know how you stop that as kids have always been able to get their hands on alcohol and cigarettes from adults from back in the day when I was a teen. Why no threats on banning alcohol and cigarettes?

As I see it, parenting is not what it used to be. Many of today's parents are more "friends" to their kids than "parents". There doesn't seem to be the oversight of what kids do in today's society compared to when I was a kid. I was scared to death of displeasing my parents, and it kept me out of trouble.

As far as cigarettes or vaping being a gateway drug to harder drugs, I don't agree with that either. I never tried smoking until I was 21. I did the rare experimentation with alcohol and the wacky weed when I left home for college, but I never used either on a regular basis during my adult life. Maybe my experience was not the norm, and todays kids are different.

I think energy drinks may be a problem, too. I see kids drinking Red Bull and Monster. Many are probably self-medicating themselves for attention deficit issues. They do help your attention.

I have an attention problem myself and found myself having trouble staying awake at work when I was bored. I self-medicated with 5 Hour Energy shots just to keep my job. Then I started getting heart palpitations and cut back...then nodded off and lost my job.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
As far as cigarettes or vaping being a gateway drug to harder drugs, I don't agree with that either. I never tried smoking until I was 21. I did the rare experimentation with alcohol and the wacky weed when I left home for college, but I never used either on a regular basis during my adult life. Maybe my experience was not the norm, and todays kids are different.

I personally don't believe that anything is a "gateway" drug. It only seems that way because the people that progress from one thing to another are predisposed to experimentation and seeking the "high". Also some people are more predisposed to addiction than others. Thus it's not that one drug leads to use of another but that the person in question simply had those tendencies all along. All this to say correlation does not equal causation.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I personally don't believe that anything is a "gateway" drug. It only seems that way because the people that progress from one thing to another are predisposed to experimentation and seeking the "high". Also some people are more predisposed to addiction than others. Thus it's not that one drug leads to use of another but that the person in question simply had those tendencies all along. All this to say correlation does not equal causation.

OH my, you are the winner. I am so sick of the "gateway" as a rationale for banning whatever some group of buffoons want to ban. The gateway is a tool for the intellectually lazy or for the agenda driven to exercise power and control over others. It explains absolutely nothing, it is a logical fallacy. I sort of glaze over when someone brings up the "gateway"; I know that I am dealing a someone on a mission and is somewhat dim.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie

I became an addict when I returned from Vietnam .. fortunately, I recovered and lived to tell the tale .. the cause was simple .. I found an escape from Reality and I liked it and craved more of it .. I think you'll find that to be a fairly common Thread among us Addicts ..

Walk a mile in someone else's shoes ..

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I became an addict when I returned from Vietnam .. fortunately, I recovered and lived to tell the tale .. the cause was simple .. I found an escape from Reality and I liked it and craved more of it .. I think you'll find that to be a fairly common Thread among us Addicts ..

Walk a mile in someone else's shoes ..

Yes the "predisposition" can often be a caused by a traumatic experience. in fact I would say PTSD and the search for relief from pain are probably the two biggest "gateways".

Thank you for your service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread