Local news Fear-Mongering electronic cigarettes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
So, I don't care for watching the news.
Not a big fan.
But tonight they had a little teaser talking about the dangers of electronic cigarettes "Film at 11!"

Hyped it up during a few commercial breaks, and then (as I reluctantly waited to hear the "breaking news") the segment comes on:

They said - very simply, and matter-of-factly - that the "dangers from these new electronic cigarette devices and the unknown ingredients in their liquids are raising concern, due to a recent trend in high call volume at Poison Control Centers throughout the country for people becoming very sick after using them."

End of story.:blink:

Onto the local rapists, murderers and burglars.

Admittedly my phrasing is not 100% word-for-word... but SOOOOO close to EXACTLY what was stated.

Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me???:mad:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
There's a thread in the media sub forum about a printed article saying the same thing. Points were called out in the thread.
1. The math. Their percentage looks oh so scarey until you do the math. :rolleyes:
2. The follow up to the calls. Were they calls asking about poison, or was anybody treated for poisoning, were any cases emergency room worthy?
3. I forget. You'll have to go to the media section & find the thread.

Basically it's just fear mongering. (3 people called, asking for help because a drop of eLiquid landed on their hand type of scenarios is our guess )

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
There have been a number of threads on this forum where people have claimed to be ill from vaping. Are they getting money from Big Tobacco?

Most of them figure it out & live happily ever after.
Others discover it was something they had all along, but their smoking masked it.
Still others discover they have a sensitivity to certain Flavors or brands of Flavors.
While yet others discover either pg or VG alone or in a different ratio works better for them.
There's a few where no combo worked.
What's your point?

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Most of them figure it out & live happily ever after.
Others discover it was something they had all along, but their smoking masked it.
Still others discover they have a sensitivity to certain Flavors or brands of Flavors.
While yet others discover either pg or VG alone or in a different ratio works better for them.
There's a few where no combo worked.
What's your point?

If there have been many people on here- on a vaping enthusiasts forum- posting these questions, it stands to reason there would be quite a few more people in the general population who believe vaping has made them ill- whether it actually has or not.

Kevin littell

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Covington Ga
Well, lets look at this objectively...

How many posts are there yearly about someone wanting to double stack batteries in a mod thats not designed for it and end up with either a near miss or injury?

I can think of 3 batteries that have blown up in the last 2 years getting the person on national news...Granted, there are some folks out there that could be straight jacketed in a padded room with 2 steel ball bearings overnight and the next day when the door was opened the bearings would be broken and imbedded in a body part somewhere but more practically, how many folks have had an EGO or a LION battery go mission critical? (There wouldn't be a market for charging bags if the answer was NONE)

I drive a motorcycle.....In downtown Atlanta.....Daily...... I don't consider it any riskier then a car cause I am move maneuverable and fit in places the cages don't....But that's NOT the general consensus. Most of my friends and family think I'm loonier then a tune!

Its all perception and whatever boost's ratings....There is very little truth in the media anymore.

Its about the numbers.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
If there have been many people on here- on a vaping enthusiasts forum- posting these questions, it stands to reason there would be quite a few more people in the general population who believe vaping has made them ill- whether it actually has or not.

Hopefully they're smart enough to google and find us so we can help walk them through the elimination steps & help them.

mavric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Dallas, TX
I remember first starting vaping, I would chain an eGo twist at 4V with 30mg nic juice and feel sick as a dog afterwards, thinking I had nicotine poisoning. I ate something and drank a ton of water and it subdued rather quickly, but man!

I would imagine a good number of those people experienced the same thing.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Local news around here is airing more and more e cigarette related stories that are totally erroneous. They have basically done no research to verify what they are saying (because it is untrue). There have been a few stories about ego batteries "blowing up". Just goes to show that yellow journalism is alive and well in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread