Long airline flights and nicotine gum

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I flew from San Francisco to Cleveland and back on a five-day trip, returning yesterday. I kept the E-Power 14650 in my pocket for the entire trip but didn't use it at the airport or on the aircraft. The trip was 7-8 hours each way including early arrival, one layover and flight time. That's a long time without nicotine for me.

I've taken longer flights (to Europe) before without smoking or vaping and used Copenhagen smokeless tobacco.

For this trip I used nicotine gum for the first time and it really worked out well. Because I haven't smoked a single cigarette for nearly six months I didn't want to use a whole tobacco product like Copenhagen again. Didn't want to experience the additional rush from the non-nicotine tobacco alkaloids. I bought 40 pieces of CVS (drugstore) 4 mg nicotine gum on sale for $12 before the trip.

No problem. I haven't used nicotine gum for at least 20 years. I tried it once before in a previous attempt to quit smoking. I followed the instructions for chewing the stuff and only used three pieces for each trip. I was perfectly comfortable for the entire trip but I really enjoyed vaping again after leaving the airports. Nothing quite beats the vapor from a good APV.

It's been covered many times before on ECF but I had no trouble from TSA regarding my vaping gear. The E-Power 14650 went into the scan basket along with my quart Ziplock bag that contained a 30 ml bottle of juice and other liquids. My back-up switch module, a couple of cartos and six 14650 batteries traveled in pill bottles inside my carry-on bag. I also had a battery charger in there. I was able to watch the E-Power on the scanner display when it passed through. The person at the monitor pointed it out to her supervisor who was standing nearby. The supervisor simply answered, "that's a e-cigarette".

It was a very successful trip. I'll be using nicotine gum for long airline flights again.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
awesome. i wonder if TSA has to keep up to date on new mods. or if maybe they have a handbook/PDF with all types of pictures of mods. i could see a box mod creating a stir. then again, i could see it being no problem at all. the last time i flew i was still using KR8s, and i know for sure they know those are ecigs, they were even in the in-flight manual under the "dont do this" caregory.
personally, i cant stand nicotine gum. the nicotine sensation in my mouth is mucho undesirable.

Dauslyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I usually just stealth-vape on the plane, and that's with a LavaTube mind you - hold in the vapour long enough, and you exhale nothing. Also curious if the smoke detectors in the bathroom can be set off, because I usually take a vape-break in the bathrooms on longer flights. Never had a problem so far!

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I've heard all kinds of conflicting reports regarding smoke detectors on airliners. Some claim that water vapor will set them off while others say no, they won't. However, I haven't read any opinions from anyone who is actually familiar with the performance specs of these detectors.

Anyway, there is no way that I could enjoy vaping in an airliner restroom what with all that stink from the blue water head. I'd rather do the gum or Copenhagen in the comfort of my seat. Besides, it takes me a good 5-7 minutes to get a useful amount of nicotine from vaping, an amount that will last me a while. I'm not going to be hogging a rest room that long.

I've tried stealth vaping just to see if it works. I use 2.0 ohm LR on semi-regulated 3.7V with 98% VG juice. That's too much vapor to hide or filter with clothing reliably.

Besides, anyone seated next me while watching me try to stealth vape would think I was a total derp.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
I've heard all kinds of conflicting reports regarding smoke detectors on airliners. Some claim that water vapor will set them off while others say no, they won't. However, I haven't read any opinions from anyone who is actually familiar with the performance specs of these detectors.

Anyway, there is no way that I could enjoy vaping in an airliner restroom what with all that stink from the blue water head.

A flight attendant told me that four or five hits won't set off the detector. I agree with you though that the smell just makes it an unpleasant experience.

Honestly, I've vaped on airplanes a lot during trans-Pac flights and cross-country flights. I use a small 808 battery and hide under the blanket for a few minutes when I need in-flight nicotine.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
I've actually had more problems with TSA security than on the flight itself. When I first started vaping with 808s, there were two times when security thought my blank cartridges were bullets. Once with a larger device (don't remember which one off the top of my head), security thought I was traveling with a ......... .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread