Long cut straight VS. sweet flavored

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
I don't know for sure but I remember a while back that stubby posted some updated info on tsna's in dip and snus and the dips are a lot lower than they used to be.

I know several old guys in their 80's that chew. They only chew snuff the stuff that looks like coffee grounds. No flavors or long cut and they appear to avoided the issues that I had. Most of the people I know (self included) used the sweet flavored long cut spit tobacco. Just kind of curious. Will go look at stubby's things :)

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I don't know that much about dip and chew but from what I have read in THR literature. I've never used dip, though one of these days I may give it a try. The whole spit thing is kind of..... not something I'm attracted to, but that's probably my own prejudice. I also keep up with the folks over at snuson forum and they have a lot more current and former dip users.

The only thing I could think of that would make the sweeter type flavored a bit more of a problem is the increased sugar which can cause gum problems. Besides that I doubt if there are any serious differences as far as health concerns.

The good thing about snus is it has no sugar. If you haven't tried snus your first reaction may be that it is overly salty, and especially for the non-mint/wintergreen type. It just takes a bit of time to get adjusted to it.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
I noticed when I bought that can of snus. The general brand wintergreen: it said what was in it! Right there on the side. Oh I was most pleased! Right there on the side!! So nice. Naw I chewed spit stuff. Hoping it's been long enough that I can keep snus in the freezer for moments such as lastnight. Lately I have been soul searching. Could I have ever reached this point without those years I spent chewing? Then there was that poor lady that did the pregnancy and vaping post, and I shared a dirty little fact. I chewed while I was pregnant with my son (yeah yeah I am gonna burn in hell ect.). How nice would it have been if Swedish Snus had been an around. :( Stubby & hittman I would like to help this part of the forum.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
One thing I would advise for you RoseB is to educate yourself a bit on smokeless tobacco. Below are a few good places to start

http://rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.com

For Smokers Only

The idea that smokeless tobacco is significantly more harmful then vaping is simply false. If there is a difference it is splitting hairs at best. A very legitimate case can be made that vaping is more harmful then low TSNA smokeless tobacco. Inhaling something into the lungs can't really be a good thing in the long run no matter what it is outside of air. Once you get rid of 99% of the risk being overly concerned about the other 1% gets a bit silly.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
spitIMAG0037.jpg
Lastnight I found this to spit in and took a picture :) My gross spitters made more than a few cameos in family photos. When I looked into chewing while pregnant all I could find for official research was a study of on women in a village in India. My son was born at 9 lbs and13 ounces. I demanded to be induced a week early. That was a little over three years ago. My uses of chewing tobacco should be in my medical records, because I was honest about it. Now I had bad heartburn and couldn't stand to chew like I normally would :)

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
It's not really that I think vaping is vastly better than chewing. It's that I just can't chew or smoke anymore. Chewing tobacco and Crohn's don't go together so good. Neither does smoking for that matter. This summer when I quit it had been 2 years since I smoked a cigarette. The smokes tasted beyond disgusting. E cigarettes are a new thing so I am trying it out. Hopefully vaping will be a means to a nicotine end :)

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Snus is another animal when compared to spit tobacco. I didn't want to even look at it a few months ago. All chew had to be off limits. Stubby would post links and I wouldn't even look. Then I wanted to prove him wrong. Started looking into it, and really liked what I was reading. My husband gave it a go and it's not brutal. It has to go through a rather stringent process to meet Swede standards. Their's is sold as a food product. At least that is what I read. Let me know how the WTA juices work for you.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I've gone to snus and snuff to see how it goes. I just seemed to be vaping a lot and a lot, even with WTA plus I ran out of WTA while waiting fora big order of it from my source that always gets it done, and beautifully but slow one man operation with perfectionism tendencies. Worth it! Good. Just didn't estimate right. saw snus in classifieds so tried it. It's a mess! But it's so effective. I actually like the snuff nasal stuff a little better but there is something to be said about classifying snus as a food product because it satisfies that eating experience some too

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Glad you are finding something that works for you. Picked up my first tin of swedish snus this morning. It seems to be good stuff. No burning like grizzly or skoal. Didn't make my teeth hurt which is a major plus. Still vaping mostly, but sometimes I really want tobacco. Cigarettes are still most disgusting to me. Tried that over a month ago and couldn't smoke half without gagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread