Long time gone, what did I miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdg

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Eastern South Dakota
Hi All,
Gosh, it's been a long time since I've been any kind of active here. It's been about two years, by my reckoning, and when I left, U.S.-made juice, low resistance atomizers, and the eGo were the hottest things for the mass-market. The Chuck was still the hottest, most-purchased mod, and 5-6V was only for the super serious. Heck, wattage had barely been discussed.
So now, two years later, I'm wondering what I've missed all this time. I've been ordering eGo batteries and Dekang juice from LiteCig and Madvapes this whole time (you're awesome, Mark and Shawn!), but from the looks of things, there may be some different options. What rigs are people using these days? I'm still rockin' the LR 306 on a 900 mAH eGos. What's the go-to juice? I'm still Dekang USA Mix, with some "Desert Ship" (used to be Kamel) thrown in for variety. What U.S. suppliers have the best prices? And what's the biggest buzz these days? What's next, I guess?
I'm asking because I'm curious, but also because I think I need to buy myself an APV, which is I guess what mods are called these days. I recently took a trip south, to DeSoto Missouri, specifically, and what the guys at Vapor's Delight were rocking looked pretty cool--even up here in SD, I've seen a few big batts.. I guess I'm feeling behind the times. And when I'm feeling uneducated, I always know where to turn. You guys rock, ECF!

Last edited:

skyztheLynnit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
Still green here but for great cheap juice and huge selection.. Mt Baker Vapor. 5 bucks/15ml spend $15 get a free 15ml sample (they have a thread of their own in the juice section).
advanced mods i don't know much about... the vamo and itaste models seem to be popular.. also EVODS and the protank (bottom feeders) are hot now.

razor4432

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Welcome back! Times have improved greatly, although I just got in to the game this past February. The bigger regulated PV's now are running either Variable Voltage, Variable Wattage or have the option of both. Some to look at would be the Provari (expensive but well worth it), ZMax, eVic, Vamo and whatever regulated box mods there are. Not a huge fan on the box mods but I'm sure one of the experts on those will jump in. There's also mechanical mods which have no protections whatsoever that people are using to run rebuildable atomizers on and vape at under 1 ohm resistance for massive clouds of flavor and showing off :D

Have a look around in the PV subforums at the different manufacture categories and hopefully more people will be in to answer.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
And I thought I was gone for a while. Lol. I was mia for about the last 8 months. Ya I'd say ditch those 306's and get a rda like a phoenix to try first. And a vv mod. Once I switched from 306's to the rba's I found my niche. Been nothing but rba's ever since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

jdg

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Eastern South Dakota
skyztheLynnit, I remember the term bottom feeder, but I think it may have been somewhat after my most active time. I purchased what I believe is a tankomizer in DeSoto, MO. It has long wicks coming from what I would call the top of the business end. Worked great on day 1, but it seems to get dry quickly. I don't know if that qualifies as a bottom feeder, but it was nice for traveling through St. Louis.
hadouken, it's good to know that people are still dripping! I used cartos for several months into vaping, and it's a wonder I kept with it. That ..... was terrible.
razor, people are building things at less than 1.5 ohm? Man, like I said, LR was a big deal when I left, and LR was 1.5 ohm.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Variable wattage (VW) has been a big improvement in vaping. It's the closes to "set & forget" from a consistency stand point. And then there are the carto tanks, that make vaping less of a hassle.

I would check out the new VW Vamo ($39). The batteries cost about $11 instead of the $25+ for eGo style VV batteries. Plus they last 2 - 3 times longer, lifetime. Most of us can vape anywhere from 8 - 15 hours on a charge. And with a 5ml carto tank, you basically are set for 10+ hours of vaping and not have to do a thing. Here is a review and a site that sells the Vamo:

A PBusardo Review - The Vamo - YouTube

VAMO Variable Volt/Watt APV V2

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
Vw is kinda nice. I own a zmax along with a provari. Set that zmax to 8.5 to 9 watts and slap whatever I feel like on it. But ya I think I'll die dripping. Just cant get anything else that compares. I've tried the genesis atty's. Most of the different tanks like the vivi novas and pro tanks. Always come back to my rba's.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
And I thought I was gone for a while. Lol. I was mia for about the last 8 months. Ya I'd say ditch those 306's and get a rda like a phoenix to try first. And a vv mod. Once I switched from 306's to the rba's I found my niche. Been nothing but rba's ever since.

You have been gone a while! Welcome back :) I think a few on the HHV thread have missed you. ;)

New home for HHV: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/hhv-army/327717-heathers-heavenly-vapes-big-thread-1210.html Bronze, I'm sure, will be super surprised to see you post :D

Sorry about the slight highjack OP!

Last edited:

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
HEY jdg and welcome home! same as you, figured I'd check the old stomping grounds and about fell out of my chair - there are tanks and submersible cartomizers that fit into tanks and see-thru gizmos and mods that look like something out of Detroit instead of something that looks out of someone's garage (and was!!) lol - mouthpieces are now called 'drip tips' I guess, and all sorts of Wonderful American Ingenuity is on display here ! Quite a leap from the fledgling imaginations of 2009, working with 401 or 501 or 901 batteries. From three-part carts one filled with a syringe to experimenting with filler materials, tea bags and straws, to beginner experiments with squeeze bottles and tubes rigged into multiple configurations, all of us on a mission to come up with the ultimate vapor producer. Flavors have improved and are more varied and there are now American juice manufacturers, to boot. Just look where we've come. Simply amazing. I've stayed loyal to my 401 and 901 and my trusty Janty Stick but I'm going to enjoy taking a few weeks to come up to speed again on all the wonderful additions to the world of vaping!! Those tanks look mighty interesting.... grin.....Happy vaping!

jdg

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Eastern South Dakota
Hey TaketheRedPill! Good to see that someone else has been happy with the same-ol'-same-ol' for a while. I never did get a chance to puff on a 401, but I had a JantyStick. And filler materials.. man, I remember buying blue aquarium foam to stuff in my cartos. I'd bet that a post advocating that is still on ECF somewhere. It was vastly superior to that white cottony crap.. until it turned my juice green.
Good luck to you, and if you find something truly awesome, let me know!

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
skyztheLynnit, I remember the term bottom feeder, but I think it may have been somewhat after my most active time. I purchased what I believe is a tankomizer in DeSoto, MO. It has long wicks coming from what I would call the top of the business end. Worked great on day 1, but it seems to get dry quickly. I don't know if that qualifies as a bottom feeder, but it was nice for traveling through St. Louis.
hadouken, it's good to know that people are still dripping! I used cartos for several months into vaping, and it's a wonder I kept with it. That ..... was terrible.
razor, people are building things at less than 1.5 ohm? Man, like I said, LR was a big deal when I left, and LR was 1.5 ohm.

First off, welcome back to all three of you, jdg, DantesInferno and TaketheRedPill!!! How's that ol' saying go? "You can take the member out of the ECF, but you can't take the ECF out of the member."

I can imagine coming back after even 8 months you're all running into Information Overload. E-cig technology is moving even faster that computer technology and new gear is coming out before the old gear is out of style or commission! But you're right, if you need info about what's happening in the e-cig world, this is the place to find it.

jdg, a little clarification on "bottom feeders" they are not the same as the Bottom Coil Clearomizers (BCC) skyztheLynnit is referring to. Bottom feeders are usually mechanical mods that have a tank below a cup reservoir that your carto or atty screws into. Juice is squeezed (or squonked, proper terminology) up to the atty or carto. Two popular ones are REOs and VMOD-XL

Love my VMOD-XL with an AMG Hybrid Atty, it's like dripping without the hassle of stopping to drip. A quick "squonk" from the 9ml bottle of your fav juice and your back to vaping.

More about BCC tanks down below.

Dante, lots of water under the bridge since last I read one of your posts. I had just started to visit ECF around the time you left. You had done some banners for HHV before Warner Brothers hammer came down and Adam had to change a few juice names.

I see Robin already said howdy, come by the sub-forum and set a spell. This invite goes to anybody reading, as well. Link's in my sig.

jdg.. i love bottom feeders because they solved the problem of dry wick/hits. Less likely for your juice to burn.. the wicks are on the bottom and unscrew from the bottom.
I set my watch and warrant on the EVOD.
YouTube

skyztheLynnit, welcome to you too. I like your choice of juice venders - MBV is one of my favs. You're right, Kanger EVODs and ProTanks do seem to be the hit for clearomizers at the moment. However, if I may clarify the terminology just a tad - they are not bottom feeders, per say. They are Bottom Coil Clearomizers, or BCC, as apposed to top coil clearomizers like the Vision Stardust, ViVi Nova and others that have the atty and wicks at the top of a central post inclosed in a tube of some sort connecting to a 510 or eGo threaded battery.

Please see note above to jdg for the true description of a bottom feeder mod. You're welcome to come visit HHV sub-forum too. A great bunch of people who love vaping and sharing stories. (See Link in my Sig below.)

HEY jdg and welcome home! same as you, figured I'd check the old stomping grounds and about fell out of my chair - there are tanks and submersible cartomizers that fit into tanks and see-thru gizmos and mods that look like something out of Detroit instead of something that looks out of someone's garage (and was!!) lol - mouthpieces are now called 'drip tips' I guess, and all sorts of Wonderful American Ingenuity is on display here ! Quite a leap from the fledgling imaginations of 2009, working with 401 or 501 or 901 batteries. From three-part carts one filled with a syringe to experimenting with filler materials, tea bags and straws, to beginner experiments with squeeze bottles and tubes rigged into multiple configurations, all of us on a mission to come up with the ultimate vapor producer. Flavors have improved and are more varied and there are now American juice manufacturers, to boot. Just look where we've come. Simply amazing. I've stayed loyal to my 401 and 901 and my trusty Janty Stick but I'm going to enjoy taking a few weeks to come up to speed again on all the wonderful additions to the world of vaping!! Those tanks look mighty interesting.... grin.....Happy vaping!

I still have the cig-a-like 401 three piece jobbie from ProSmoke, but just keep it round for the memories. Luckily I found this site before going through all that experimenting you're talking about and jumped to eGo Twist batteries and APV mods. I did read about those exploits while researching and finally finding ECF. Man, those must have been the days!

But more important than having the latest & greatest gizmo on the market is finding something that works for you. If your Janty Stick is rolling your socks up and keeping you off the stinkies, then more power to you!!!

That is all folks - Happy Vaping. :toast:

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Well the king of the big bat mods (Silver Bullet) is still around. Matter of fact I'm using mine right now. There are a lot of VV & VW APV's to choose from along with a grundle of new mechanical mods and bottom feeders. So it's easy to find a shoe that fits every foot these days.

Delivery systems have also come a long ways, and a guy could go broke trying them all without even thinking about new PV's.
    Since you have been dripping a 306 all this time I'll bet that you will love some of the RDA's that are available now.
    I use these:
    A7 MINI Stainless Steel Rebuildable Atomizer Kit
    I see Keith is out of them right now, but it would be well worth the wait to get one. They get their air from the bottom like you are use to instead of the leaky hole in the side like an old 901 atty that most of the other RDA's use.

The big thing for me now is that I vape for only a couple of pennies a day using DiY juice and RDA's, and the only thing I have thrown in the trash this past year has been a couple of well used pieces of silica string and resistance wire.

skyztheLynnit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 7, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Thank you Chakris.. i knew they were bottom coil clearomizers but also thought they fell under the umbrella of bottom feeders..
    This is an interesting thread to read! I consider myself lucky to have found ecigs in what i believe to be the golden age.. i thank those before me who paved the way for wonderful innovations and choices that are available :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    "Long time gone, what did I miss?"

We landed on the moon, the Yankee's won the world series, and two guys built and sold a new consumer electronics product called a Personal Computer out of their garage.

And some things never change....Chicago Cubs, 105 years and counting. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread