Long Time Smoker Looking to Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyV

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2011
Dallas Texas
Started smoking while in the service during Vietnam. Typically I smoke about 1 pack a day (Marlboro Silver 100s). I'd like to quit tobacco while I'm still in relatively good health. Purchased several Blu Cig disposables and found them to produce good vapor and a decent throat hit. Many of the reviews I read about Blu Cig were OK on the product but negative on customer service/price. Scanning the ECF forum, it would appear that the Volt e-cig from Smokeless Image has the best combination of features, price, and customer service. Am I on the right track or should I conduct more research?

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Volt is similiar in size to the Blu. Did you quit smoking with the Blu? If you like that style and if it works for you, get the Volt.

You could try a bigger battery pv like the ego. It's less expensive, longer battery life and you have more options with that pv. The downside is that it has a larger diameter than the Volt/Blu. I didn't notice that after the first day.

You can pick up a Riva ego from Liberty Flights for $30. The model that comes with cartomizers is about $35.00.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I would do more reseach.

Rule of Thumb, the more it looks like the real thing, the worse the performance.

As a pack a day smoker, getting only an hour to an hour and a half decent battery life out of a mini battery model like the blu and similar models will get old and frustrating quickly.

I would suggest a good beginner model should provide around 5 hours on a charge and have manual batteries (small button) that provides better control, performance and is safer. These models are the size of a small slim cigar or a "sharpie".

I would look at the E-Power 510 or the Riva 510 as better options than any mini battery model. Here are several well supported suppliers:

e-Power

Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - Riva 510

Good Luck

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Volt is a KR808D-1 model, and KR808D-1 is the best choice for a slim model, especially if you want access to prefilled cartomizers. I recommend manual batteries - harder to damage or kill with juice leaks and easy to get a good drag, more control of your drag. You can also use cartos from Bloogplanet, Halocigs G6 (those 2 are same style as Volt), Vapor4Life which is more like the original manufavturer model but with a custom 10-13 second cutoff allowing longer drags, Cigeasy Elite 808, plus any blank 2.5 to 3 ohm cartos you find elsewhere (with 2.5 being the warmer end of that range and around what Volt uses).

For juices I recommend PG w/ 10-20% VG for vapor. Volt's juices are 80PG/20VG. For texting new juices, on a manual Volt is a standard resistance DSE901 atomizer and drip tip (LiteCigUSA.net has those)

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
I went from an automatic battery (Mistic) to a manual eGo-t.

The ego is a bit fatter and longer. When you do to take a drag you hit a button to fire it up. I've taken a draw on it without pressing the button then slapped myself silly for forgetting.

The eGo-t is good. If you have any spare carts from the Blu they will fit on the eGo-t and you can refill them when they are beat. Good thing is that if you run out of juice you can go get some Blu cartridges and slap them on the eGo.

I smoked a pack a day or more. The eGo-t battery (900Mah or 1100Mah) lasts me just about all day. Even heavy vaping days I can't make the battery go dead before the other battery gets recharged. The Blu was just awful, spent more time charging them than vaping. Not sure if their disposables are any good.

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
Save yourself some time and money in the long run and get yourself a Reo from
reosmods.com they're the most durable simplest and no fuss device out there and the customer service is over the top. I wish someone would have steered me in that direction to begin with then I wouldnt have wasted the money I spent on the cig looking device. Just chk them out they even have a sub forum on here under Reo Mods

arbogast

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
Norway
... Am I on the right track or should I conduct more research?
Welcome.

As others already said (and with greater authority than my newbieness endow me with) yes, you're on the right track. I think the EGO or Riva models are more flexible because low resistance (=LR) atomizers and cartomizers can be used with them. They're not recommended for use with smaller batteries like the volt, so this door is closed if you go with the volt. I mention this, because it's not unusual to crave a greater TH and/or more nicotine when one quits analogs - in the beginning at least. The higher temperature with LR increases throat hit.

Lots of new vapers quickly want to try something else. New flavours, box mods, variable voltage, different cartomizers/atomizers etc. They want this either out of curiosity or because they are not entirely satisfied with their vaping experience.
I'm not saying this is going to happen to you. But if you're no stranger to insatiable gearlust (for f.ex. tools, computers, bookshelves, garden elves etc.) and do not find researching this e-cigg stuff tedious & tiresome, be prepared for having a lot of fun & a bit more (initial) expenses.

The most important thing is to get started vaping. You already did that. Congratulations.

And please ask if in doubt. Extremely helpful and knowledgeable folks here.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I fit about the same profile as you. 35 years, pack and a half per day of Camel Blues. I started with the E-Power 14650 with 1.7 LR Resurrector cartos about two weeks ago. I'm doing great. They call this e-cigarrete type a mod. It's powered by an inexpensive rechargeable protected Li-ion battery.

This E-Power is a fine match for me right now. I need to refill the carto once or twice a day, that's it. The 14650 battery does well over a day between charges. It's easy to pack along a spare filled carto and charged battery, just in case.

Crystal Clear Vaping and Hoosier E Cig Supply are excellent online vendors that stock the E-Power.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois

BobbyV

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2011
Dallas Texas
Thanks to all of you that provided suggestions on what vape hardware I should consider as someone new to vaping. Based on the many comments, it would appear that many new vapers started with e cigs similar in size to analogs and then graduated to larger units like the ego within months. I decided to skip the initial stage and jump right into the ego T MEGA tank system using refillable tank cartridges. It's similar to the advice I give my friends looking to buy their first motorcycle. Why start with a small 750 cc motor when you'll be looking to upgrade to a 1200 cc or greater within months. Save time and money and go big right from the start. Thanks again.
BobbyV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread