Long time smoker, total vape newbie needing some advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    Hello all my names Jake, Im 38 and have been smoking for around 25 years(terrible I know). Im really wanting to quit and have been thinking about trying vaping, my wife as well as my dad also smoked for years and stopped cold turkey and started ecigs and vaping. They have both bugged me for some time now to try it out, and Im thinking now is the time but Im completely lost and confused with all of it so I have a few questions to point me in the right direction.

I guess Im looking for a set-up that I can start out with but customize it later on after I get my feet wet, Im not looking to spend a fortune but will drop a decent amount considering it cost me well over $100 a month for cigs smoking a pack a day it would be worth it to give up smoking.

If there isnt a set-up that can be customized then what is good to start off with? I starting browsing around on the forums here but got confused really quick. How good is a Innokin iTaste vv v3.0 with a Protank 3? I like the look of it and the fact that it shows the voltage. If that isnt good then what is better and what all do I need to get going as far as accessories etc.?

I also need to be able to keep this in my pants/shorts pocket all day at work as its against a tobacco policy to use them except on break and outside. How big of an issue with this be?

Lastly what websites are recommended and reputable to buy from? I just found out that a vape shop opened locally to me but I have yet to go in there so I dont know what brands they carry etc but I do know they do samples of their flavors so I will get my juice there.

Sorry to be so long winded with my very first post but I accidentally stumbled across this site and Im really excited to give this a go and learn all I can. Im most excited to learn mods, stuff like this is right up my alley, Thanks in advance!

amoret

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 2, 2013
    Sharon, ND, USA
    The iTaste VV v3 is a good start, though for longer battery life between charges you might want to step up to the MVP. Personally I would recommend a protank 2 instead of a 3 to start with. Dual coils use more battery life and liquid for not much improvement in flavor. The mini protank is also excellent, and on the VV v3 is a little more proportional. 101 Vapes generally has good prices on the iTastes - both the VV v3 and the MVP.

The biggest unknown to start with is liquid - you need to be sure to have a high enough nicotine level and to find a flavor that you like. A lot of people recommend Mt. Baker Vapor, for lots of variety at a reasonable price. I don't buy from them personally because I need non-childproof bottles -- I get most of my liquid from Vaperite. There are a lot of others out there.

KBMP529

ECF Veteran
    Dec 25, 2013
    Levittown, NY
    The iTaste VV v3 is a good start, though for longer battery life between charges you might want to step up to the MVP. Personally I would recommend a protank 2 instead of a 3 to start with. Dual coils use more battery life and liquid for not much improvement in flavor. The mini protank is also excellent, and on the VV v3 is a little more proportional. 101 Vapes generally has good prices on the iTastes - both the VV v3 and the MVP.

The biggest unknown to start with is liquid - you need to be sure to have a high enough nicotine level and to find a flavor that you like. A lot of people recommend Mt. Baker Vapor, for lots of variety at a reasonable price. I don't buy from them personally because I need non-childproof bottles -- I get most of my liquid from Vaperite. There are a lot of others out there.

Great suggestions! And I would add about Mt Baker.... get multiple small bottles of different flavors they are only a couple of $ each.... this way you find out what you like & don't like...The get bigger bottles when your sure what you want

I've been vaping 8 months and started with the vv 3.....upgraded a month later to the MVP...and use Kanger tanks....works great for me

Best of Luck

Vekz

Mar 30, 2014
    United States
    If you like the box style setups, take a look at an iTaste MVP v2 with a protank 3 on it. This setup is very user friendly and provides great vape quality and flavor. You can Google around for some images to see if it's something you may like. I would recommend this setup to any new or even mid-level vapor looking for an easy fill-and-go style setup that has very good performance.

MN_Mike

ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2014
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    I use both a Vision Spinner battery and an iTaste MVP and I like both. I'm going to be honest here, performance wise...they're almost identical. The MVP battery lasts longer and performs the same all the way through, while the performance changes slightly as the battery loses it's charge. The Spinner is less than half the price. I started out using Kanger EVOD tanks, the new EVODs are even easier to use and require very little maintenance.

The MVP2 is more practical because it has several uses that will benefit your experience, such as selecting watts which gives you more freedom to find the flavor you like and removes guesswork from manual adjustments. However as you mentioned, the box look and feel doesn't appeal to me as much as tube shaped devices. I found using my vision spinner 2 and Protank minis, I more comfortably duplicated the feeling of smoking so I used the spinner 2 even when I had the better equipped MVP2.

Eventually, if you enjoy vaping, you'll likely want to have both and will eventually move on to other devices. It's not even a matter of going crazy spending, it's just sensible to have three or four devices be they mechs or vv devices so you have backups and a variety of vape types to hold your interest.

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    I stopped by my local vape shop that just opened yesterday to check it out as well as their prices, they have a huge selections of juice and a tasting bar but I will probably only buy juice from them. After doing some reading I have narrowed it down a bit on what mod to buy, Im thinking either a Sigelei Zmax V3/V5 or the 20W, 30W still cant decide which one is the best out of those? I also need to figure out which tank to get and Im thinking something from Kanger? the search continues!

bobrob

ECF Veteran
    Feb 24, 2012
    North Carolina, USA
    wiredrake.com
    I started out with the Kanger Protank 2. It is a good choice. It is easy to use and fill. It is a glass tank, so you can use it with any juice, including known "tank crackers" like hot cinnamon, citrus, or strong menthols. The heads are easy to replace, and every shop I've ever been in sells the replacement heads (even the strip mall head shops sell Kanger replacement heads). They can gurgle a bit sometimes, and I would suggest also buying an Airflow Control Base for them (just google airflow control protank 2, you'll find them). I haven't tried the protank 3's so I can't speak to those, but I know the heads for the protank 2 are dead easy to find anywhere.

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    Ok a few more hours of research and price shopping and Im still unsure which Sigelei to get, so I need some more opinions. I kind of like the 30w as it seems to have the latest features but from what I see its non-telescoping and has to take one size battery. Im leaning more towards a V3 or V5 but Im confused on the exact differences but it looks like you can use different size batteries and I like having that choice.

So whats the be-all end-all Sigelei? Price isnt an issue! I know, I know Im indecisive but I feel like I only have one shot to get this right, plus I dont want to buy anymore analogs so my time is limited on getting something in the mail. Thanks for all the help so far, Im almost there.

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    I would recommend the Kanger Aerotank. It doesn't have any of the issues that the protanks did such as leaking and burnt hits. Also the controllable airflow is a huge plus!

Is the Aerotank better than the Protank, do they benefit from the airflow base like the Protanks?

All of this seems greek to me but I feel like Im inching forward and learning more by the minute, Im ready to get everything ordered and start vaping hopefully once and for all.

Evilocity

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 30, 2014
    Washington DC
    Hey, hope you have success with quitting, I've made it 2 months with little problem. I'm using a hana clone 30w device with a few different tanks. I also have mech mods and rdas. I don't think the mvp is bad for size or portability, it's certainly not as big as a pack of smokes, and the battery life is a plus. There are lots of great options though, any of the mid to high range vv mods will do the trick. I second that aerotank opinion, the newly redesigned coil heads are really great compared to what they used to be. It's a no muss, no fuss tank compared to most.

67Tele

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 23, 2014
    Austin
    Ok a few more hours of research and price shopping and Im still unsure which Sigelei to get, so I need some more opinions. I kind of like the 30w as it seems to have the latest features but from what I see its non-telescoping and has to take one size battery. Im leaning more towards a V3 or V5 but Im confused on the exact differences but it looks like you can use different size batteries and I like having that choice.

So whats the be-all end-all Sigelei? Price isnt an issue! I know, I know Im indecisive but I feel like I only have one shot to get this right, plus I dont want to buy anymore analogs so my time is limited on getting something in the mail. Thanks for all the help so far, Im almost there.

sigelei.jpg

I'm still new but, based on the review and opinions here I ordered the Sigelei V5. After trying it for a couple of days I ordered another. Both with Kanger tanks and 2.0 Ohm coils. I'm very happy with the setup. The VV/VW gives you options for tweaking.

I''ve also read great reviews for the MVP V2 and I'm tempted by the blue one.

There are dedicated discussion groups for both:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/473345-itaste-mvp-v2-owners-group.html

and

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/408649-sigelei-zmax-v3-v5-telescopic-users-group.html

The V5 is quite long with the 18650 batteries if concealment is a concern but, I've very happy with mine.

Good luck and welcome.

As a fellow newbie, I vote for the Protank 2 rather than the 3. I have the Mini of both (I like smaller tanks) but I'm finding that there's little difference in vape production and flavor between the two, and the 3 has a dual coil which will drain your battery faster.

Whatever you decide, just make sure it's a genuine Kanger - I had a horrible experience with a local vape shop passing off clones as the real thing. Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread