Longest use time 18650 for low wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I use a single 18650 mod, and am interested in finding the best (longest between charges) battery for my style.
  • Wismec Sinuous P80
  • Approx 10W in TC mode, 410F
  • SS316L 28 ga, 2.5mm id, usually 0.78 ohm
  • 150-200 hits per day, around 6 sec per hit
  • Approx 2 ml juice per day
Got the P80 a couple of months ago, and have a Nitecore charger on the way. In the meantime, I've been using the USB charger (yes, I only charge when it's attended). I'm using the Samsung INR 25R battery. I know that using the internal charger, especially since it's a 2A quick charge, certainly isn't getting me the longest time between charges, and is shortening the useful life of the battery. Most days, a full charge will just get me thru the day. Sometimes, I need to charge a few minutes when I get home from work to make it thru the evening.

So with this style/power of vaping, should I go up to a 30A battery, look for specific mAh, or what? What would give me the longest time between charges? Would one of the Sony VCT or LG batteries be better suited for me?

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
You will get longer use out of higher MAH on battery. The higher the MAH the lower the AMP on the battery is likely to be. You don't need 30A battery for 10W vaping. You can get a higher MAH battery with lower AMP for longer period between charging.

Just get one on the Mooch Chart

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
You will get longer use out of higher MAH on battery. The higher the MAH the lower the AMP on the battery is likely to be. You don't need 30A battery for 10W vaping. You can get a higher MAH battery with lower AMP for longer period between charging.

Just get one on the Mooch Chart
Thanks, Beamslider- but you're saying mAh is my only concern, and picking the highest mAh will give me the longest use time?

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Using Steam engine, it seems I'll be below 4A even up to 20W, with <1.0 ohms.
So it looks like according to Mooch,I could even go up to 3K+ mAh, unless I'm missing something (very possible!;))
Any other negatives for using a battery with amp ratings that low, if I'm sure I won't put them in higher wattage situations? Long term useful life, or anything like that?
upload_2018-2-11_14-40-36.png

upload_2018-2-11_14-42-15.png

upload_2018-2-11_14-43-28.png

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Thanks, Skunk - I had used Steam Engine's and plugged in 0.8 ohm, and pushing up to 20W, still only got 4W.
Seems in my time on this forum, I've seen that everyone trusts LG, Samsung, and Sony, so I only looked at those.
And the 30Q gets a lot of props, including yours.

Sounds good to me, so they're likely to be on my next order, if the Nitecore doesn't significantly add to performance of my Samsungs. I'm guess it will, though - because I use a backup mod with internal battery that has the same 2500 mAh rating as the 25R that lasts way longer than the 25r's using the quick charger.

I appreciate everyone's responses, all were helpful!
upload_2018-2-11_14-56-43.png

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Thanks, Skunk - I had used Steam Engine's and plugged in 0.8 ohm, and pushing up to 20W, still only got 4W.
Seems in my time on this forum, I've seen that everyone trusts LG, Samsung, and Sony, so I only looked at those.

Sounds good to me, so they're likely to be on my next order, if the Nitecore doesn't significantly add to performance of my Samsungs. I'm guess it will, though - because I use a backup mod with internal battery that has the same 2500 mAh rating as the 25R that lasts way longer than the 25r's using the quick charger.

I appreciate everyone's responses, all were helpful!
View attachment 719583
You're welcome. Glad I could help. I use 30q in my regulated series mod at 65w. They are 15a 3000mah. At 10 watts you could find even longer life batteries, but even a single 30q should last for quite some time. I was figuring resistance when doing the math on regulated. I find out that is unnecessary. I had always used an ohms calculator before with mechanicals. With regulated all you need is watts and volts. I havsn't tried the Sony or LG batteries, but hear good things. Not really a preference for me but 25r's were the standard when I was big into mechs, and sub ohm and Ive always trusted tbem. Since you are using low power you should be able to just worry about finding the one with the highest mah. I am still amazed at not having to carry 2 spares to get through the day.lol

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I am not sure if constantly quick charging is good for the batteries. If the life on the 25r seem way too short, they may need to be replaced. My nitecore takes somewhere around 6 hours to fully charge a pair of 30q. They seem to charge a little quicker if its just 1 though.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I use Samsung 25s and I get good life, but I am an extremely low wattage vaper. The consensus seems to be that the brown LGs and the Samsung 30s are a good "middle ground" battery.

I would agree it's likely that a slower charge is better for overall battery life, and yes, your old batteries may have just gone through too many cycles. Do some experimenting, I did, and it is really accurate that a high AMP Sony battery is going to die more quickly at my wattages than the less expensive Samsung 25s that I use, and that work perfectly for my applications.

Anna

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Thanks, Beamslider- but you're saying mAh is my only concern, and picking the highest mAh will give me the longest use time?
At 10 watts even up to 25 or so.. mah is biggest concern.... you still need to make sure the batteries can handle the amps you will pull.... at these kind of wattages I would guess any battery rated 10 -15 amp or higher would be OK.

I get between 200 and 300 hits at 15 watt average from 25r batts in my Pico75. Means I change batts 1 time per day.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I agree with most of the folks here. Get some HG2, 30Qs, or VTC5 batteries. All of them are 3000 mAh.

IMO, if a 25R is marginal getting you through 2 ml of juice, your 25Rs are either shot or fakes, or that mod is horribly inefficient. The mod in front of me right now is a mechanical squonker with a 0.75 ohm coil in it. The battery in it is a 3+ year old VTC5. I'm about half way through an "8.5ml" bottle (I don't believe it really holds that much), but I've definitely vaped at least 3ml of juice. I just pulled the battery out and checked its voltage. 3.70V. Nominally, that's only 50% discharged.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Thanks, all - the batteries are pretty new - about 7 weeks (I've only been using one of them). Although they could be fakes, I don't think so, because they say Samsung on them, and I paid $1.99 each. Just kidding!:)

I believe it's just a matter of quick charging them not really doing the job. Seems I've read that quick charges don't get you the full mAh, and I know for certain that it shortens battery life. Guess I'll be able to confirm if a day's charge lasts significantly longer when the charger gets here.

But all the responses have helped. I should've done the research & questioned before I bought a couple of 25R's, since 3000mAh would better suit my style. But no worries, they're not that expensive, and do get me thru the day for the most part - hopefully a little easier on a quality charger.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Thanks, all - the batteries are pretty new - about 7 weeks (I've only been using one of them). Although they could be fakes, I don't think so, because they say Samsung on them, and I paid $1.99 each. Just kidding!:)

I believe it's just a matter of quick charging them not really doing the job. Seems I've read that quick charges don't get you the full mAh, and I know for certain that it shortens battery life. Guess I'll be able to confirm if a day's charge lasts significantly longer when the charger gets here.

But all the responses have helped. I should've done the research & questioned before I bought a couple of 25R's, since 3000mAh would better suit my style. But no worries, they're not that expensive, and do get me thru the day for the most part - hopefully a little easier on a quality charger.
Quit using 1 battery... use at least 2 in rotation.. preferably more... that way 1 or 2 are on charger.. while you vape on another.
That way you don't need to quick charge the batteries. . You can charge them slow and gently.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

I just want to emphasize something @Skunk! mentioned - when using a regulated mod, your resistance doesn't factor in to your amp calculation. The Steam Engine calculation with the resistance is for mech mods. With a regulated mod, the battery never sees the coil; it just sees the board so only your wattage setting matters. Mooch explains it well (as usual) here:

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

The performance of your 25R sounds a lot worse than I'd expect, given how you're using it. I say that as someone who's used a 25R in a Wismec P80, 15W, TC at 210 C (approx 410 f). Nice settings, by the way.;) Even if you got it somewhere reliable it could have been overheated or suffered some other way during shipping. I agree with @Rossum, it's either fake or done for.

If you need a good source for new batteries, Mooch lists some on his recommendations chart:

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

Good luck with your new charger and batteries!

ETA: I'm another one who likes the Samsung 30Q, though I also have some good LG HG2s. You could also go for one of the 10A batteries as long as you think you'll stick with your current settings for a while. I'm considering trying them out.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Quit using 1 battery... use at least 2 in rotation.. preferably more... that way 1 or 2 are on charger.. while you vape on another.
That way you don't need to quick charge the batteries. . You can charge them slow and gently.

Thanks, 93. But I don't have the charger yet, which is why I've been using the on-board quick charger. And I know that this is bad for the batteries, so I didn't want to rotate, and damage the other one. I'll be rotating when I get the charger. And will probably quickly find out how bad the quick charges affected battery #1, so it'll be a good experiment!
I get between 200 and 300 hits at 15 watt average from 25r batts in my Pico75. Means I change batts 1 time per day.
This was really helpful - lets me know what kind of life I should get on a charger with similar wattage on a slow charged 25R.

Thanks!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Puff count and length impact battery life as well as wattage. On single battery mods I get somewhere around 12 to 15 hours, sometimes more from a Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6. On a dual battery mod with the same cells I get well into the second day on two cells.

I vape 10W to 12W, seldom higher. If I vape 3mg/ml juice my batteries last shorter times than if I vape 9mg/ml juice all day. Vaping higher mg juice cuts my juice consumption and extends my charge life considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread