Longterm Battery Storage - What is 40%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I'm having trouble finding a solution. I realize that some of my 30Q's are getting to the point where they've been stored in a cabinet in an air conditioned house where we keep it around 75 to 77 for coming close to a year which is my understanding when you need to start fiddling around with them to try to keep them going longer. Of course I have an external battery charger but it's not one of the ones that gives you numbers it just gives you blinking green lights. I also have some DNA devices. But I don't know how to tell what I'm saving them as. As far as volts.

Like it just has a blinking light next to 3.7 4.2 or 4.35. And it has 30% as 3.7 80% is 4.2 and 100% is 4.35 but I don't know how to use that to determine at what point my batteries are at. Should I charge them until it's no longer blinking when it reaches a certain point or do I need to buy something. Is there some way I can use my DNA to determine what's going on.

Also moving forward should I start doing this every 6 months My initial intention wasn't really to have these sit for a year but the batteries that I had previously bought Don't seem to be really losing their efficiency so I've just kept using them.

When I put them in my DNA it said it was 7%. But I don't know exactly how that is interpreted cuz I know that the battery isn't actually down to 7% because there's no way that a mod would work off something like that if it was literally only 7% left out of the entire capacity. I'm just so confused and I just need someone to tell me what to do

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Do you have EScribe on your computer? (the software for your DNA devices) If you do, plug in your mod and open the Device Monitor to see what your batteries are doing
I didn't think about that. how do people without DNA devices determine that their batteries are properly charged enough to store and not like way overcharged?

Thank you I will try that later

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm having trouble finding a solution. I realize that some of my 30Q's are getting to the point where they've been stored in a cabinet in an air conditioned house where we keep it around 75 to 77 for coming close to a year which is my understanding when you need to start fiddling around with them to try to keep them going longer. Of course I have an external battery charger but it's not one of the ones that gives you numbers it just gives you blinking green lights. I also have some DNA devices. But I don't know how to tell what I'm saving them as. As far as volts.

Like it just has a blinking light next to 3.7 4.2 or 4.35. And it has 30% as 3.7 80% is 4.2 and 100% is 4.35 but I don't know how to use that to determine at what point my batteries are at. Should I charge them until it's no longer blinking when it reaches a certain point or do I need to buy something. Is there some way I can use my DNA to determine what's going on.

Also moving forward should I start doing this every 6 months My initial intention wasn't really to have these sit for a year but the batteries that I had previously bought Don't seem to be really losing their efficiency so I've just kept using them.

When I put them in my DNA it said it was 7%. But I don't know exactly how that is interpreted cuz I know that the battery isn't actually down to 7% because there's no way that a mod would work off something like that if it was literally only 7% left out of the entire capacity. I'm just so confused and I just need someone to tell me what to do

First thing.

You Charger should Never charge a Battery to 4.35 Volts. That is Overcharging the Battery. And can Reduce the Battery's Lifespan. A Battery Charger should Max-Out a Battery at 4.20 Volts.

If you Charger is charging to 4.35v, you either Need a New Charger. Or you need to see if there is some Switch to Limit the Charger to 4.20 Volts.

2nd thing.

In Math, a Naked Percentage is called a "Unitless Number". Because it Doesn't Define any Units of Measure. Percentages are Meant to be Qualified with some other Value/Units system. This is a Technical way of say'n a Percentage only has Meaning when it is a Percentage "of" Something else.

For your DNA Example, the 7% might represent the Amount of charge left of the Mod's Working Voltage range. Meaning if the Mod will stop working when the Battery Voltage reaches say 3.2 Volts, then the 7% is telling you that there is 7% Charge left in the Battery until you Reach 3.2 Volts.

ie: 7% of (4.2 - 3.2)

If I was you, I Wouldn't worry too much about 18650 Batteries. Because I really Don't see them being Removed from the Market. I would just Change your Extra Batteries to 3.6 Volts or so and put them in a Cool/Dry Place. Then cycle your Extra Batteries back into your Rotation every 3 Months or so.

Having a Battery Charger (IMO) that Tells the Actual Voltage of the Battery is kinda a Baseline Feature.

Last edited:

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
I use a charger that tells me the voltage.
Efest ELITE LUC V4 HD LCD 4 Bay Battery Charger - 18650 Battery Store
There's plenty of others on the market that do the same, but My first LUC V4 still works after 6-7 years so I had to go with the newer model when I decided to buy a new one.
I didn't think about that. how do people without DNA devices determine that their batteries are properly charged enough to store and not like way overcharged?

Thank you I will try that later

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    First thing.

You Charger should Never charge a Battery to 4.35 Volts. That is Overcharging the Battery. And can Reduce the Battery's Lifespan. A Battery Charger should Max-Out a Battery at 4.20 Volts.

If you Charger is charging to 4.35v, you either Need a New Charger. Or you need to see if there is some Switch to Limit the Charger to 4.20 Volts.

2nd thing.

In Math, a Naked Percentage is called a "Unitless Number". Because it Doesn't Define any Units of Measure. Percentages are Meant to be Qualified with some other Value/Units system. This is a Technical way of say'n a Percentage only has Meaning when it is a Percentage "of" Something else.

For your DNA Example, the 7% might represent the Amount of charge left of the Mod's Working Voltage range. Meaning if the Mod will stop working when the Battery Voltage reaches say 3.2 Volts, then the 7% is telling you that there is 7% Charge left in the Battery until you Reach 3.2 Volts.

ie: 7% of (4.2 - 3.2)

If I was you, I Wouldn't worry too much about 18650 Batteries. Because I really Don't see them being Removed from the Market. I would just Change your Extra Batteries to 3.6 Volts or so and put them in a Cool/Dry Place. Then cycle your Extra Batteries back into your Rotation every 3 Months or so.

Having a Battery Charger (IMO) that Tells the Actual Voltage of the Battery is kinda a Baseline Feature.
    It's a Nightcore i-4 which is what I thought was a very very common charger

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It's a Nightcore i-4 which is what I thought was a very very common charger

It is.

The Maximum it should be Charging Batteries is 4.20 Volts. If it is Charging to 4.35 Volts, there is something Wrong with the Charger.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    It is.

The Maximum it should be Charging Batteries is 4.20 Volts. If it is Charging to 4.35 Volts, there is something Wrong with the Charger.
    I mean that's what's on its label. I don't know what it's charging to I just know that it has that listed next to the top blinky button so this means every single one of these chargers is doing 4.35 volts as the full charge unless there's a way to modify it.. has no one else ever noticed that it goes up to 4.35 as Max capacity and people are using it or did I just not get the memo when it was recommended to me to use

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I mean that's what's on its label. I don't know what it's charging to I just know that it has that listed next to the top blinky button so this means every single one of these chargers is doing 4.35 volts as the full charge unless there's a way to modify it..

I would say your Charger is Doing things Right.

But why don't you do this... Charge a Battery until the Charger says it is Completely Charged. Then Stick the Battery into one of your DNA Mods and see what the Mod say's the Battery Voltage is?

Last edited:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I would say your Charger is Doing things Right.

But why don't you do this... Charge a Battery until the Charger says it is Completely Charged. The Stick the Battery into one of your DNA Mods and see what the Mod say's the Battery Voltage is?
    It's in there topping off right now I only have dual battery though so there's that lol But they are a married set of batteries though I don't expect they're going to be exact maybe I can at least get an idea

Reactions: zoiDman

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It's in there topping off right now I only have dual battery though so there's that lol But they are a married set of batteries though I don't expect they're going to be exact maybe I can at least get an idea

If you use Batteries in Sets, then a Charger that shows the Voltage and mAh is (to me) a Must. Because you can See that Both Batteries are Charging to the Same Amount. And with basically the Same amount of mAh.

I use one of these...

XTAR VC4 4 Channel Digital Battery Charger

The Big Knock on it is it will only charge 2 Batteries at 1 Amp ( or 2/3/4 Batteries at 0.5 Amps). But I'm OK with that. I like to charge My Batteries at Lower Amps anyway.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I have one of those I think I have a coil master tab I'm assuming it's a 521 but I'm not sure I do recall seeing it flash something voltage related
    Put a battery in...flip switch to firing position (addy doesn't need to be attached)...should show the battery voltage.

My husband has one of these I think I think he uses it as a mechanic occasionally
    Even better...give him a stack of batteries, tell him you need to know the voltage...:thumb:
    A multimeter will also show voltage.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Okay thank you guys for all of the suggestions I'm very happy now. My 521 tab is telling me that I'm at 4.17 on one of my batteries. That had a solid light indicating it was done charging. And then when I put both batteries into my DNA it gave me 8.36 so I think that that's within the realm of okay as far as accurate readings and my charger isn't overcharging them at least I assume so because then it would be higher than 8.36 for two batteries. If I'm incorrect let me know.

Simply for ease of use I think I'll just use my tab to get them to where I want to store them at I mean it doesn't have to be exact just to store correct?

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Also the 30Q's that started this whole thing or at least the two that I tested are showing 3.6 is that fine do I just leave them alone and let them stay in there for a while Check them again in a few months or do I need to do something to them. I don't really care about losing a little bit of capacity or something I just don't want it to get down to the point where I can't recharge them when I do use them which should be in the next 5 months

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread