Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If something has a use by date on it to me that implies that it degrades over time.
What I said is based on this rather than any testing I've done.
I remember use by dates for VG being extensively discussed at one point. VG is used for a lot of things. Iirc Apparently there were multiple factors that made the use by date pretty conservative for the specific use of VG shelf stored for use in diy ecigs. I don’t recall the particulars. They’re around here somewhere i think.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
It's down to the individual to make these choices. My supply chain is reliable and a liter of VG lasts me about half what the recommended use by date suggests. If is was paint I wouldn't care, as it's going in my lungs I prefer to err on the side of caution.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
All things degrade slowly over time, including us.

I believe the FDA puts sell buy dates on stuff to boost farmers and things. They never used to be there.

Look if a tin is bulging or clearly yuck toss it, otherwise it is portably fine. If your VG smells and tastes inoffensive, it is probably fine. My husband always overbuy s tinned items then chucks them and it drive me batty.

You CAN take this too far my son was at my mom's one time and went to fry and egg and when he opened it it was GREEN etc.

Yuk.

Anna

Reactions: CagedSpam

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You're probably absolutely right about that. But then there's that other aspect - the legal aspect. Use by or best by dates are usually much shorter than they realistically should be for legal reasons.

I have been eating 5 year old canned soup which looks and tastes just as it should.

Lawyers cause consumers a lot of grief which causes a lot of needless waste. I take use by and best by dates with a grain of salt.

There's probably many cans of soup and vegetables in someone's old backyard bomb shelter from the 60s. :) Hopefully, their heirs have cleaned those out and turned them into something more useful.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Essential raised their price considerably to take advantage of covid.
I'll never order from them again.

Heartland Vapes is the same (low) price as before because they're not ghouls
Vegetable Glycerin - USP Kosher - 1 Gallon

I'm not sure why a Covid-19 outbreak would have anything to do with VG prices. Just because they can?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Maybe it's been harder to get but I could equally see it being a general stockpiling idea.

I love Heartland vapes, you always know where you are with them. Maybe I should get more VG I bought 2.5 gallons of VG from River supply. I had NO clue it would come in a giant VAT. I could barely lift that sucker at first.. But it seems perfectly fine, cool dry place. I can' see getting more quite yet, I think it will be "around." Not to stressed about it.

Anna

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm not sure why a Covid-19 outbreak would have anything to do with VG prices. Just because they can?

Because since about 90 days ago, people and distilleries and ejuice companies are using VG to make hand sanitizer instead of Carbomer, which is the thickening agent used in most popular hand santizers.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    Less than 1.5%
    They raised their price because they expected to make yuuuge profits because that's how profiteers do. Heartland's price stayed the same because they're not scumbags.
    91913237_2674225032808310_6101542819732652032_n.jpg

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    If something has a use by date on it to me that implies that it degrades over time.
    What I said is based on this rather than any testing I've done.
    Once upon a time Dow Chemical tested their glycerin after 2-year storage. They found no changes and accepted 2 years "use by" date. They have no interest in checking it for longer times.
    From my experience, 4 years in opened 1 gallon plastic container does not have any effect on VG vaping properties.
    Another piece of experience - 17 years in open container does not change VG skin softening properties (I had to wash my hands pretty often at my work place, so sometimes I used VG as a cure; 1 liter lasted, as you see, for 17 years).

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Use by dates were invented by places like farms and stuff because the cans were lasting too long. Also, a sell by date is not a use by date, a sell by date means you probably have about 10 more dates.

This is why I will not allow the husband to shop at Costco anymore and like all that. He'd buy huge containers of tinned tomatoes and then dump half of them later and I'd be screaming, "Is it dented, is it bulging IF NOT PUT IT BACK." We actually had arguments where I would open up a tin and spoon it into my mouth going "It's delicious, it's FINE."

You can carry this too far: take care of your eggs. I once pulled an egg out of my mom's "gourmet egg holder" and split it into a jar, and it was GREEN the yolk. I said cautiously to my mom, "Do you know when you last bought eggs and she waved her hands and went, "Oh you know...." I was like, "I do NOT know that is my point and I want to know its age, and also tell you to keep them in the cheap paper cartons and ONLY keep them a month after their due date.

I mean I am fairly certain I coulda ATE it I had a cast iron stomach and still do. But somehow green is not a good look for an uncooked egg.

LOL, I am going to make it pretty far in the zombie apocalypse. I have old meds I really wouldn't CARE to use unless I HAD to but most meds are fine years after the sell by date just less potent, I guess.

Some like Wellbutrin you really gotta watch the sell by date, but you open it up... it just smells off, a bit like rotten eggs, oddly. I think that bottle was out of date by like 5 years though.

Anna

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Use by dates were invented by places like farms and stuff because the cans were lasting too long. Also, a sell by date is not a use by date, a sell by date means you probably have about 10 more dates.

This is why I will not allow the husband to shop at Costco anymore and like all that. He'd buy huge containers of tinned tomatoes and then dump half of them later and I'd be screaming, "Is it dented, is it bulging IF NOT PUT IT BACK." We actually had arguments where I would open up a tin and spoon it into my mouth going "It's delicious, it's FINE."

You can carry this too far: take care of your eggs. I once pulled an egg out of my mom's "gourmet egg holder" and split it into a jar, and it was GREEN the yolk. I said cautiously to my mom, "Do you know when you last bought eggs and she waved her hands and went, "Oh you know...." I was like, "I do NOT know that is my point and I want to know its age, and also tell you to keep them in the cheap paper cartons and ONLY keep them a month after their due date.

I mean I am fairly certain I coulda ATE it I had a cast iron stomach and still do. But somehow green is not a good look for an uncooked egg.

LOL, I am going to make it pretty far in the zombie apocalypse. I have old meds I really wouldn't CARE to use unless I HAD to but most meds are fine years after the sell by date just less potent, I guess.

Some like Wellbutrin you really gotta watch the sell by date, but you open it up... it just smells off, a bit like rotten eggs, oddly. I think that bottle was out of date by like 5 years though.

Anna
    Eggs are easy- and good well past the date on the pkg. Fill a pan with water, and put them in. If they float, toss them. If they don't float, they're good to eat. It's true- I read an article on it, that explained the science- something about gases created as they age or something. Anyway, it's saved me from tossing a bunch of eggs over the last 3-4 years, since I learned that hack.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2013
    Texas
    Around year three on four gallon vg pack from essential depot, spotted "floaties" (bacteria) as I was about to mix. Dumped it and remaining gallon. Now buy 1-2 gallons; not worth chancing the lungs. And switched to Heartland after seeing the profiteering. I keep shelf life at two years or less. YMMV

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Around year three on four gallon vg pack from essential depot, spotted "floaties" (bacteria) as I was about to mix. Dumped it and remaining gallon. Now buy 1-2 gallons; not worth chancing the lungs. And switched to Heartland after seeing the profiteering. I keep shelf life at two years or less. YMMV

How do you store your VG? I keep it in the fridge in it's plastic, translucent bottle (heartlanvapes). But I am considering transferring it to glass canning jars.

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I agree. I know people like to save money, but since vg is so readily available, and relatively inexpensive, I've just never felt a need to buy so much at a time. No one is testing it for consumption thru inhalation, so I've never kept more than a year's worth on hand.

Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Fill a pan with water, and put them in. If they float, toss them. If they don't float, they're good to eat.

Yep! I'm right with ya' on checking eggs before use. I've been checking them for "floaters" before using them, for more years than I can remember. I just use a cup of about 4-6 oz. of water to test each egg 1 at a time before use. If it doesn't sink and stay at the very bottom, I pitch it. Those that sink and then come even part of the way back up...also get pitched.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Good info on the eggs, I don't eat them so much anymore. Except when the husband makes pickled eggs. I used to turn my nose up at him, but I had NO idea what I was missing. They are GOOD. Purple from the beets but good.

Tomorrow I shop. I would go today but Sunday is restocking day and if I go today well I am afraid I might not get all the things I want . I mean even after restocking probably not. But Saturday is just the WORST day man.

Anna

I bough 2.5 gallons of VG from River Supplee and have never seen "floaters" or anything ickky. Stored in a cool, dry dark place but NO on the refrigerator. I don't see the need IDK. I'm sure something will happen sometime (or maybe not!) but I will vape it for as long as it look and tastes reasonable.

I refuse to get more VG or any PEG400. Not if we are moving again. OH GOD.
    Anna

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2013
    Texas
    How do you store your VG? I keep it in the fridge in it's plastic, translucent bottle (heartlanvapes). But I am considering transferring it to glass canning jars.
    I had stored in ED’s original plastic bottle in cool, dark closet. It was an opened container where noticed. Bottom line, while VG may not readily degrade, it will support some bacterial growth. I plan to limit to a year’s supply or so. If trying to store longer, personally might add 2-4% ethanol (i.e. Everclear, etc.) as preservative. This has worked for my saline solution and is a fairly common preservative. Allow ethanol to evaporate before vaping (not lung friendly). Bottle of Everclear has lasted >4 years. Enjoy!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread