Looking at getting into the rda rta game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I'm still a little new to vaping, and have favored the idea in the past but am now pretty serious about rtas and rdas because I'm sick of blowing through smok baby beast coils and want a better experience.

A little info...

Me and my SO want to switch we both like to vape between 45 and 65 watts

What kind of rda or rta would suit our needs?

We both have 2 eleaf ipower 80 watts.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
I'm still a little new to vaping, and have favored the idea in the past but am now pretty serious about rtas and rdas because I'm sick of blowing through smok baby beast coils and want a better experience.

A little info...

Me and my SO want to switch we both like to vape between 45 and 65 watts

What kind of rda or rta would suit our needs?

We both have 2 eleaf ipower 80 watts.
HI if you go the RDA route you will need to wrap your own coils, I don't know if you already know how but simple coils are usually a short learning curve, watch a few videos and the steamengine site, sorry don't have the link handy but someone will post it here, the coil and wick forum has lots of information.
RTA have more options with some having rebuidable decks others factory coils and some can switch decks and do both.
You can tailor your coil building to your vaping style leading hopefully to a very satisfying vape.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Hi,

I just got into RBAs myself and I really like the Mutation V4:

Authentic Mutation X 4 V4 RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer by Indulgence

You can build it as dual coil or single coil. It comes with little plugs to plug off the air holes on the bottom. You can also run it as a velocity style deck, or you can turn the cap and block off the bottom holes and use the side air intakes.

If you are building, you will likely want to keep your ohms high, since you will hit a limit on watts.

I like to build coils. When I am lazy I will just build a single coil, put it in there, and block off the other side.

That coil I think is 8 wraps of 26 around a 4mm core. I'm learning about wicking with rayon right now and I think it works better if the coils are kind of not more than 1.75 times as long as they are wide (according to the experts here.)

Also - the coil is a little sideways on purpose. I installed it so it sits higher over the big hole and lower over the small hole. (The velocity holes are different sizes).

Um, it leaks a lot. That's likely user error!
c520fa6aa4af981bb4b66d23a155a69d.jpg
17b95d8efed366793ef5a70964918d52.jpg

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Yes but from what I hear that isn't the easiest build deck to start on. The OP may want to start with something with a single coil and a larger deck, perhaps?

Anna
I can confirm that the TFV8 deck isn't that great to build on. I have one. I actually ended up not using it. The ohmage started jumping around because the positive post is literally pressed into position (not screwed on). If the press-fit gets loose like mine did, it renders the deck unusable. I guess if I had the right tools, I could fix it.

But I figured that was a signal to learn about real RDAs.

Last edited:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I can confirm that the TFV8 deck isn't that great to build on. I have one. I actually ended up not using it. The ohmage started jumping around because the positive post is literally pressed into position (not screwed on). If the press-fit gets loose like mine did, it renders the deck unusable. I guess if I had the right tools, I could fix it.

But I figured that was a signal to learn about real RDAs.

I myself used the rba deck for a while and i barely just switched to a proper rta (limitless xl) difference is like night and day lol no shorting no issues with small deck nothing not even a single leak for now.

Experimentation is the name of the game with rebuildables. I'd argue that RDAs are better for learning to build on, as they tend to not be as finnicky with what will fit. As people have already mentioned, velocity style decks are a good place to start.

I started on the TFV8 rba and quickly picked up a few rdas on the low ( Freakshow and freakshow mini for 12.99 a piece). Maybe something like a Watofo Troll V2 would be a good starting place. Browse around and look for well-received rdas at fair prices and you'll learn and you're bound to find one that suits you.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Just pick you an rta that has good reviews from actual users and buy you a coil master coil building kit and some 24 and 26 gauge Kanthal to start.

Worry slightly less about ease of use and just make sure you have what people will say is a larger deck for building on..

Whatever you learn on is what you will find easy down the road. It's not building the coil itself that is difficult, it's learning how to wick properly that takes more time to learn - and each individual rta has its own proclivities in that area.. so once you learn one you might have to wick each rta a tiny bit differently, it's the matter of learning the first one which teaches you though..

Good luck and remember - proper wicking = no leaking. (Along with good orings)

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Yes but from what I hear that isn't the easiest build deck to start on. The OP may want to start with something with a single coil and a larger deck, perhaps?

Anna
Yeah, i have the tfv8 with the rba head. It is kind of tiny in there and gets tedious to build on. Plus, it can leak. There, i admitted to a smok leak. Lol. I bought a dead rabbit rda and i really like it. Coils mount on top of the posts, what could be easier. There are many good choices out there though

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Agreed on the coilmaster kit. I got mine at Element Vape. Decent price and I ordered a Sony VTC6 for the Coilmaster 521.

I then got some SS from Amazon because I wanted to do some TC stuff. I now need to get some kanthal.

Also - pre-built coils are fun as well. You can experiment with different coil types and if you find something you like, you can learn how to build it. I'm liking alien claptons. So I will learn how to make the wire soon.
95e07f15d53176a956bf69666f91702d.jpg
d29cdb11e93985a70319007e4bc9c73b.jpg

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The TFV8 RTA is one of the easiest I've built on, you cannot go wrong with velocity decks imho. Roomier than many I've built and very forgiving on wicking, I've never had a leak or a dry hit. I'm not suggesting it's the ultimate RTA, but I thought OP would appreciate that he already had an RTA without having to put his hand is his pocket.
It goes without saying that RDAs perform better and are usually roomier, but not everyone is prepared to move away from the convenience of a tank.

KC0YNU

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
McPherson, Kansas
I was wanting to get into RTA earlier and this is what was suggested to me.

Either the Ammit 25 or the Zeus (both by GeekVape) I have ordered both now.
I also ordered the Coil Master tool kit with the ohm reader.
also have book marked the Steam engine calculator page
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Hope this help you out a bit @Doctorvapes

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Information Resources for Your First RBA
  • An essential read and referrance guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.
Innitially, keep you coil building simple. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) A simple single or dual coil build at around 0.6 ohm target resistance. Remember, the resistance of a dual coil build is "halved" -- two 1.2 ohm coils results in 0.6 ohm overall. Have an ohm meter to check your coil resistance prior to actually firing it on a mod.

Once you have perfected your wire coil skills for a simple coil, you can experiment with more exotic builds later. IMHO, nothing really beats a simple coil though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread