looking at (possibly) buying a new Reo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
I purchased my Reo Mini in 2011 (I think June?) and have been using it daily since then. I have sent it into Rob once to get refurbished but otherwise it has been heavily used since then. I bought a RM2 when I sent it into rob and have found that to be the best rebuildable I have, even better than my Igo-L.

I'm looking at buying a new Reo (I still haven't found anything that beats the simplicity and convenience of the mini) but havnt looked at the site or this forum for a LONG time. Whats new? I'm seeing LR, SL, a whole bunch of different rebuildables. I do remember something about a sub ohm kit but I cant find anything on the site regarding that. How much shorter is the LR? wouldnt the lack of a drip well cause leaks? Right now I have an O-ring around the base of my RM2, but I still get a bit of leakage every now and then, I would imagine that would be worse with a LR version right?

Any recommendations for a new atty? I see that the nubbin is popular right now, but honestly I am completely satisfied with the RM2, so a new type of atty would have to be a lot better in order for me to switch.

I looked at the FAQ and see that I wont be able to use my 14500 with the new Minis, but is a 18650 grand a lot bigger than the original mini? I have 18650s at home I can use.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

JamezC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Arkansas
I'm looking at buying a new Reo (I still haven't found anything that beats the simplicity and convenience of the mini) but havnt looked at the site or this forum for a LONG time. Whats new? I'm seeing LR, SL, a whole bunch of different rebuildables. I do remember something about a sub ohm kit but I cant find anything on the site regarding that. How much shorter is the LR? wouldnt the lack of a drip well cause leaks? Right now I have an O-ring around the base of my RM2, but I still get a bit of leakage every now and then, I would imagine that would be worse with a LR version right?

I think you meant LP, which just has a smaller catch-cup to accommodate larger atties, I haven't owned a mini so I can't compare. As far the leaking issues, I've had none so far, but I'm still pretty new to Reos. I believe the sub-ohm contacts are (correct me if I'm wrong) gold plated beryllium, and as far as I know, I think all new Reos come with the new contacts.

I looked at the FAQ and see that I wont be able to use my 14500 with the new Minis, but is a 18650 grand a lot bigger than the original mini? I have 18650s at home I can use.

Honestly, the Grands are super tiny. Combine that with the battery life (and higher amp limits) of 18650's, as well as the larger on-board bottle, and I think the Grand has a lot going for it, while still being quite small.

Hopefully this helped a little bit, I'm sure someone will come along shortly to help you with your other questions :)

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi

I don't think there is a sub ohm contact kit for the 14500 mini, simply because 14500 batteries aren't capable of sub ohm.

Pretty sure the 14500 mini is limited to the RM2 because of the diameter of the catch cup. For the various "what fits what" options see the chart. ~> http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hysical-comparison-chart-rm2-rm3-rm4-rm5.html

The only difference between a standard Grand and a low profile (LP) is you lose a couple mm's in height due to the milled down catch cup.- from the catch cup. Size wise, overall they aren't as big as you may be thinking. One way to look at it: Take your 14500 mini and get a ruler. Add 15 mm to the length of your mini and that's about how long a Grand is. Overall - about the size of a business card.

coaldriller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
West Virginia
Here is a pic for comparison. A sl/lp grand, and a I phone.

289f079637c5e981cf4afdf99f0a520c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Well, here's a few thoughts to maybe fill you in on some happenings here in Reoville....

* Your OG mini is now discontinued, so you won't be able to get another new - the smallest reo these days is the mini 2.1, which takes a 18490 battery. It's a little deeper than the mod you have in your hand.

* The Grand (18650 battery, 6 ml juice capacity) is prolly the most popular model these days. Despite its name, it's not that big - about the size of a credit card on the face of it and a little deeper than your mini.

* Any new mod you get will now come with the gold (nicknamed "subohm") contacts. They're an upgrade over the previous contacts in that they can take use at lower resistances better.

* All new mods also come with a recently released ss adjustable 510 connection, which is an upgrade over the older 510's (which have gaskets and no adjustability to fit atties with different length 510 pins). Rob claims these are nigh indestructible.

* The Super Light (SL) versions have holes milled into them to make them... well... super light. They are also a fashion statement.

* The Low Profile (LP) versions have the catch cup milled to about half of what they were before. While this does increase the chances of spillage with toppers like cartos and premade atties, it's not really proving to be an issue with RDA's like any of the RM's. The LP was designed to allow the use of any modern (sounds funny when I read that) atty, as many of them are >14mm in diameter and wouldn't fit with the old catch cup.

* In terms of atties, Rob now has about a half dozen available and they range from small, flavour-first (mostly mouth-to-lung, or MTL) examples to larger, vapor producing (mostly direct lung, or DL) beasts. This means a wider range of vaping styles and preferences are covered, and these days folks vape reos with anything from 1.8ohm single coils to .3ohm (and sometimes more extreme) dual coil setups.

* There are getting to be more and more 3rd party bottom fed atties available, too. A Reonaut named Chowderhead1972 mods a lot of the current atties available for use with reos, and many of us in here have toppers from him.

Hope some of this helps, and welcome back.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
wow I have been out of the loop for a while. Thanks for all the great feedback. I still like my mini a LOT and still use it day to day with a 1 ohm spaced coil and cotton yarn thread. I think I'll look a round a bit and see if I really want to buy a new one or not. Maybe Ill just send my mini back in to get refurbished again... think Rob will put those new contacts and catch cup into my old one? The size of my mini fits just right into my shoulder pocket on my uniform... :)

mousiemaximus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2009
Hi NJT07....

I am a serious mini fan, so take these with a grain of salt. I have a mini 2.1, which was my first REO. I love it and it's my daily go-to. I then got a Grand and I also love it, but I don't use it much as I really like the small profile of the mine.

I also then got a mini 1.0 --> the 14500 version. It had the original contacts and such and it was roadworn a bit. I used a RM2 with it, and when I could get good contacts it was an impressive machine. I run 1.0- to 1.5 ohm on a RM2 and they work great.

I sent mine in to Rob for refurb and just TODAY got it back. It's a whole new beast. I had him LP it, and put in the gold contacts and the new 510. I am just using it on a RM2 and it is every bit as good as the 2.1 in terms of performance now, and it is totally small and nice anodized feel. I love the original mini's. I have 2 now.

You can get your 14500 upgraded to all the latest and greatest. You will be limited by your 14500 battery in terms of ohms. If you are like me and don't care about sub-ohm, they are great, you just need to swap out batteries more often.

I would recommend that you get a grand so that you have one (we all must) or at least a mini 2.1 (very close in size to the mini with lots of battery), and then send your mini mini to Rob for a retro. I spent a couple bux on mine, but it was well worth it to me, given that it's what I like and there aren't any more to be made. Mine is working like a mule right now with a LP RM2 from my normal 2.1. It's doing great.

OK

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
There is always the possibility of surfing the Classifieds for another OG Mini, although I am not sure what postage to Korea is these days.
I started with mini's. the 14500 and the 18490. Now I just use Grands. Just me, I think the Grand is more taller than bigger, but the larger battery and larger juice bottle mean I can vape all day without carrying extra batteries or juice. Just my observation.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
wow I have been out of the loop for a while. Thanks for all the great feedback. I still like my mini a LOT and still use it day to day with a 1 ohm spaced coil and cotton yarn thread. I think I'll look a round a bit and see if I really want to buy a new one or not. Maybe Ill just send my mini back in to get refurbished again... think Rob will put those new contacts and catch cup into my old one? The size of my mini fits just right into my shoulder pocket on my uniform... :)

Hmmm... I see the parts kit for the 2.0/2.1 mini - but nothing there says those will work/fit the 14500. I thought at one point there was a separate kit for the 14500 mini. Dunno - it would be best to ask Rob if those are the correct parts.

So that would get you the gold plated contacts.

If you are happy with the RM2 and your 510 connector is in good shape... you could ask about upgrading it to the new stainless adjustable 510 - but I'm not sure how much of an advantage there would be to doing that here.

And now I'm a little lost because you said "...think Rob will put those new contacts and catch cup into my old one?" There's the contacts. And then there's the 510 connector upgrade. But the catch cup is what it is. You can either leave it alone with the deeper cup it now has, or Rob can mill it off for you to fit other attys. You have to keep in mind you are still dealing with the amp limits of 14500 batteries. If you have the catch cup milled down you could stick a dual coil RM6 on it. The question is: do you want a really big atty on a really small 14500 mini when you can't build much of anything to fit the amp limits of your battery on an RM6?

You may want to take a look again at that atty chart and the diameters of the attys there, and then consider, say, what a 22 mm diameter atty would look like sitting on that mini. Of course there are a lot of attys anywhere in between. I'm a purist myself. I have two 14500 mini's and won't mill the catch cup - RM2 works well enough that I don't want to mess with the originality of it. But that's just me.

And now for a squirrel: If you are using AW batteries the old 14500 600 mAh version has been discontinued - and that's actually good news. The old version has a 4 amp limit and the new 650 mAh by AW has a 9 amp limit! So you do have room to do lower amp builds with the new AW 14500 - but it still will never be the capacity of an 18650 in a Grand.

Just some points to help you sort things out. Well I hope it helped anyway. lol

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
There is always the possibility of surfing the Classifieds for another OG Mini, although I am not sure what postage to Korea is these days.
I started with mini's. the 14500 and the 18490. Now I just use Grands. Just me, I think the Grand is more taller than bigger, but the larger battery and larger juice bottle mean I can vape all day without carrying extra batteries or juice. Just my observation.

Not just mini's - all sorts of Grands show up in the classifieds too. But Njt doesn't have access yet - never got verified. :(

If you want to look even, you have to go through the account verification thing. We can't "scam proof" the classifieds 100%, it's just this is one layer of protection we can put in place to try and verify people are who they say there are. ~> http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ember-explained-more-detail-faq-included.html

While people reserve the right to classifieds terms like "USA only" I would be really peeved if they won't ship to you guys at APO/FPO. But that's just me.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Maybe a quick picture showing relative size will help for comparing different Reo models large to small. While taken straight on for height/thickness they are all pushed against the backdrop, so a look at the base will give an idea of how wide they are compared to each other as well.

There is not much size difference between the Mini 14500 and Mini 2.1 18490; the Woodvil 14500 is just a little taller, wider and thicker; the Woodvil 18490 a little wider and thicker than them... but the Grand 18650's are not all that much bigger than them either. I actually prefer the larger Grands and Woodvil's as they are still not that big yet offer the advantages of more batt power, and the LP Grand for far more versatility with the atty's they can run. The new Woodvil's will be another game changer for me with all their new improvements over the older Woodvil's.

Left to right: VV Grand 18350X2; Woodvil 18650; LP Grand 18650; Woodvil 18490; Woodvil 14500; STD Mini 2.1 18490; Mini 14500.
reosizes.jpg

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Maybe a quick picture showing relative size will help for comparing different Reo models large to small. While taken straight on for height/thickness they are all pushed against the backdrop, so a look at the base will give an idea of how wide they are compared to each other as well.

There is not much size difference between the Mini 14500 and Mini 2.1 18490; the Woodvil 14500 is just a little taller, wider and thicker; the Woodvil 18490 a little wider and thicker than them... but the Grand 18650's are not all that much bigger than them either. I actually prefer the larger Grands and Woodvil's as they are still not that big yet offer the advantages of more batt power, and the LP Grand for far more versatility with the atty's they can run. The new Woodvil's will be another game changer for me with all their new improvements over the older Woodvil's.

Left to right: VV Grand 18350X2; Woodvil 18650; LP Grand 18650; Woodvil 18490; Woodvil 14500; STD Mini 2.1 18490; Mini 14500.
reosizes.jpg

I copied the url for your pic and was going to add it here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/357012-photos-reo-descriptions-comparisons-more-6.html but the thread has been closed. Shot off a PM to Classwife and asked if it could be opened. We shall see! Love it when Reonauts snap pics to help people! Thank you sweetie!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I copied the url for your pic and was going to add it here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/357012-photos-reo-descriptions-comparisons-more-6.html but the thread has been closed. Shot off a PM to Classwife and asked if it could be opened. We shall see! Love it when Reonauts snap pics to help people! Thank you sweetie!

Thanks, but I was just following your lead Karen, the Queen at helping others. :wub:

Would have taken more time, picked other colors of Reos maybe, made both end and frontal pics had I known you wanted to add it to your thread. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Cheryl75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
MO

reosizes.jpg

Very useful image and of course a beautiful collection as well!!

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
This (and all the other posts) helps a lot! i think Im leaning toward just getting my mini re(re) furbished with the new contacts and call it a day... Then again having an 186509 battery and 6 ml bottle is tempting. I usually go through 2 batteries and 2 refills a day at this point so the grande would take care of me all day with out having to carry extra juice or batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread