Status
Not open for further replies.

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
So I have been following this mod THE NUCLEUS BOX MOD - SX350 CHIPSET W/ DUAL 18650'S for a few months now and see from their FB page that owners are starting to get them in their hands. I was wondering if there were any owners among us that could shed some first hand experience with the mod. I have talked to an owner on another forum but the info was for the moment relatively brief as the owner had recently just received it. So I figured I would check here as this is a large forum with a wide array of interests.

Like I said I have been following the progression of this mod for awhile and it seems to have hit all the marks for a nicely built mod. Has the sx350 chip, 100w capability, large atomizer cutout, American made, dual batts, FD spring loaded 510, nice color selection, gravity sensor and buttons, and a seemingly solid build. I have obviously not seen the internals or anything but I am imagining a nice tight package under the hood. With all that it is on my radar and would like to hear more about it.

Five-Mods_Each-Color_266px.jpg

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
It's pretty nice, I guess, but I sure don't see $266 worth of mod.

I see it as the higher cost of wages and living for American's, that cost has to be paid for and hence higher prices for consumers. I recently picked up a Provari in trade and I have little doubt that the Provari my wife will snag from me (after I get done testing it lol) will outlast my ipv3 because it feels really solid and Provari owners tell of the abuse that they take. So if the build quality is there and it outlasts other devices the value could easily be there. Hard to say since it is just a device that I have been keeping an eye on so far.

Last edited:

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Last I saw you need a screw driver to change the batteries. I lost interest immediately after that. The 100 watt model doesn't have an internal charger either.

The only time I want to use a screw driver with my vaping equipment is when I'm changing my coils. I don't want to use one when filling my RBA and I don't want to use one when changing my batteries.

Last edited:

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
I see it as the higher cost of wages and living for American's, that cost has to be paid for and hence higher prices for consumers. I recently picked up a Provari in trade and I have little doubt that the Provari my wife will snag from me (after I get done testing it lol) will outlast my ipv3 because it feels really solid and Provari owners tell of the abuse that they take. So if the build quality is there and it outlasts other devices the value could easily be there. Hard to say since it is just a device that I have been keeping an eye on so far.

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate American made mods. I own a couple of them. However, the Nucleus happens to look like a cheap Chinese produced mod. The buttons are cheesy, the case looks cheap, and none of the components are particularly compelling or unique. The board is Chinese and I'm willing to bet a few of the other components are as well.

My $189 Chinese manufactured Yihi SXmini looks much better than the Nucleus. The Nucleus doesn't look nearly as finished or refined as a Provari (and I'm not a Provari owner).

Last edited:

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
Last I saw you need a screw driver to change the batteries. I lost interest immediately after that. The 100 watt model doesn't have an internal charger either.

The only time I want to use a screw driver with my vaping equipment is when I'm changing my coils. I don't want to use one when filling my RBA and I don't want to use one when changing my batteries.

Lol, 30 seconds outta your life to turn a screwdriver is really too much for you?

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Lol, 30 seconds outta your life to turn a screwdriver is really too much for you?

When I'm in a rush to get to work, yes. There's also the risk of losing a screw and needing to find new ones. It's just a poor design so who knows what other shortcuts were made.

The products I buy are going to fit around my lifestyle, not the other way around.

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
Bypass Mode: allows you to switch from a regulated device to a mechanical mod

Batteries Not Included: See our FAQ's for what batteries we recommend.

Will enable bypass mode, for 266 dollars, give me a battery.
Not fully following you on that. It runs off 2 18650 batts and they recommend vtc4 or 5. Most mods other than lipo mods or a FT Cana does not ship with batts.

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate American made mods. I own a couple of them. However, the Nucleus happens to look like a cheap Chinese produced mod. The buttons are cheesy, the case looks cheap, and none of the components are particularly compelling or unique. The board is Chinese and I'm willing to bet a few of the other components are as well.

My $189 Chinese manufactured Yihi SXmini looks much better than the Nucleus. The Nucleus doesn't look nearly as finished or refined as a Provari (and I'm not a Provari owner).
I hear you Inswva I have seen your posts enough to respect your opinion and after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For me it looks like a nice ergonomic shape and without one in hand I can't comment much on the build quality but I did talk to another owner which is what I was hoping to run into with this thread, and they said it felt very nice to them. Not sure how unique a box can really get without engravings or something of that nature. If I do pick one of these up I will let you know if it feels cheap or not.

I do have a Provari and the build quality is nice and all but I am seeking a higher watt box mod with similar characteristics and have set my eyes on this one lol.

EDIT: Also on a side note the SX350 yihi chip is a very reliable chip. Authentic Zero's are being made with them now and unlike the dna boards there have been a lot less issues overall.

When I'm in a rush to get to work, yes. There's also the risk of losing a screw and needing to find new ones. It's just a poor design so who knows what other shortcuts were made.

The products I buy are going to fit around my lifestyle, not the other way around.

I understand your point. The magnets seem to be a big deal to some. I know that it can sway a purchase. For me it is not that big of a deal I get a couple days off a dual batt mod and longer if I am not using it exclusively so for me it is not a big issue.

Last edited:

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
Definitely update us if you get one!

I guess I shouldn't be so dismissive without laying hands on one. After all, I'm about to drop 4 bills on a custom mechanical bottom feeder without ever having one in my hands, lol.

Oh you can believe if I do pick one up I will be talking about, good or bad, but I found the other guys opinion to give me optimistic hopes.

I will have to check out the bottom feeder mech thread when you get it in hand, or is there a thread already made somewhere?

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
Oh you can believe if I do pick one up I will be talking about, good or bad, but I found the other guys opinion to give me optimistic hopes.

I will have to check out the bottom feeder mech thread when you get it in hand, or is there a thread already made somewhere?

No thread as far as I know for this mod. I'm commissioning it from a guy who is just getting started. I'll certainly post about it when I receive it. It'll probably be a couple of months before it's in my hands.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
I understand your point. The magnets seem to be a big deal to some. I know that it can sway a purchase. For me it is not that big of a deal I get a couple days off a dual batt mod and longer if I am not using it exclusively so for me it is not a big issue.

I usually go through 4 or 5 18650 batteries a day, I'm impatient, and I know I'd lose those screws.

I don't understand why battery doors on e-cigs can't be more like battery doors found on digital SLRs. Quick, easy, sturdy, and reliable. I'm not really a fan of magnets, but they are definitely the lesser of the two evils.

ycromo

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2013
Menlo Park, CA, USA
Awesome. I hope you come back to this thread and give me some feedback. Have you been looking at them for a bit too? What color did you go with?

will return for sure. teal.
from finding the mod to ordering it was less than 60 min :)
but i had been looking for an additional box mod for a while - i already have ipv3 and hana v4d - and for some reason there's something in the flask that prevents me from pulling the trigger. not sure what (other than price)

Last edited:

ycromo

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2013
Menlo Park, CA, USA
I usually go through 4 or 5 18650 batteries a day, I'm impatient, and I know I'd lose those screws.

I don't understand why battery doors on e-cigs can't be more like battery doors found on digital SLRs. Quick, easy, sturdy, and reliable. I'm not really a fan of magnets, but they are definitely the lesser of the two evils.

the screws don't bother me as long as we can usb charge. unfortunately dual batteries in series cant be usb charged, so the box should use magnets/latch. I'm looking at you ipv3! :-/

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA

Yeah magnets do have some draw backs such as a squeaky enclosure and for anyone that is kind of clumsy the back and batts can go flying with a drop. The camera type is an interesting idea about the only one that I can recall incorporating that type of enclosure was the innokin's vtr, I am sure there are others though but it seems to have never taken off.

will return for sure. teal.
from finding the mod to ordering it was less than 60 min :)
but i had been looking for another box mod for a while - have ipv3 and hana v4d - and for some reason there's something in the flask that prevents me from pulling the trigger. not sure what (other than price)

You sound like you are accumulating a nice collection so I look forward to your take on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread