Looking for a cheap backup for my Provari Mini / Suggestions or insight welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

artbyshan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
I have a Provari Mini and am thrilled with it's performance. I almost dropped it a few times, but manage to keep it from happening. My wife bought it as a present, and I really want to keep it nice, and can't afford another Provari at the moment. I would like to have something cheaper that I can take out and about that I don't have to worry about as much if I were to get it banged up a bit (Been taking ego batteries out, but need something variable voltage). Something tough, cheap, and can do variable voltage. I've been trying to make up my mind between a Smoketek SmokiBox VariCool and a Apollo VTube Mini. Anyone have any experiences (Both good/bad) with either of these? I've heard good/bad about the Lavatubes (Apollo Tubes), and read a few things (Good) about the Smoketek box.

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I've had the Lavatube Mini and it's fine as long as you stay away from LR and DC, you should be ok from the limiter kicking in. Mine was fine using 3 ohm cartos until the battery got below 3.5v then it started dropping voltage.

Another route you might want to explore is the Bolt or Indulgence V3 then when the kick gets back in stock grab one of those. Regulated variable wattage for not that much more money and if you go with the bolt you have a choice of using 18350, 18500 or 18650 as you can use it with up to 2 extension sleeves.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
If you can wait until the end of May the V2 Lavatube is supposed to be here around then with a higher amp limit it could be 3.5a and rumors of a better screen more like a cell phone screen with a display of cartomizer ohm..plus chrome plated ones are supposed to be out..probably will be some stainless in V2 also..if not they are selling the V1 at a discount..I've seen the kit for as low as $40..next week they might be less expensive as I think they are trying to sell there stock of V1's...

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Thanks for the advice. Just had another question. Do either of these (Apollo Tube or Smoketek box) drop voltage as the battery life decreases ?

I tested my LT VV with a digital multimeter with the battery at 3.5v with a cartomizer on it and it was within hundredths of the volt it was set to. Some say it drops and I'm sure when it gets down to 3.3v it might some.

I don't notice a drop in vapor really though but I usually charge my batteries at 3.5..I've only hit 3.3v 2x in a month. The batteries that came with it hold really well and from some research they look like Sanyo batteries with a minimum 1500mAh 10c rating and a 15a continues draw rating.

I only have to charge 1 battery about every 2 days with somewhat heavy use and they last at least a day under more heavy use.

I've been really happy with mine the last month and will buy 1 or 2 more in the future. I don't think you have to be perfect with VV if it's close it's good enough.

Generally when I change voltage I skip .2 because .1 is such a little change. It's nice to be able to go .1 plus with the LT you just push a button once to activate the screen then press +/-..I find I don't even have to look at the screen to change voltage..even with my big hands (I wear 2 xl gloves) I can press the little buttons easily.

Zenataos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
British Columbia, Canada

An unbiased review of the Provari vs LT Mini.

The voltage drop with the LT is a known issue, I've experienced it myself and every review I've seen takes note of it.

Watch the inline meter when he is using the Lavatube...

** The video contains a V1 Provari, which would under load drop voltage slightly (however it wold hold that lower voltage). With the V2 Provari you get what you set, set 4.5volts, you get 4.5volts under load, with no drop.

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
IDK how unbiased that video is he's using a $1 lipo battery tester that takes 2 seconds to get a reading..on top of that if you read the top comments without even watching the video a person comments he takes a 10 second test hit from the LT and compares it to a 7 second one from a Provari..the comment is in quotes at the bottom.

Just reading that make me think there is some bias there. There are other reviews out there done with a real tester that I've seen when the only real drops more than a few hundredths in voltage are when the battery is almost dead. I've watched too many videos about this to watch anymore..

It's a good device for the money..sure it's mass produced on a large scale so it's not going to be perfect but to me it works great and exceeded my expectations after a lot of research before buying it..I mean really do you need voltage accuracy within 1/10 of a volt? I bet in a blind test no one would be able to tell the difference of .1v .2 is hard to tell much a difference.

"The Provari is a better device no doubt about that. The question is, is it 150 dollars better? I'm mean if we're going off just this video, 4.37 vs 4.27 and to get that 4.27 you have to do a ten second drag. That's a long pull. When you took a pull off the provari you took a 7 second drag which would lead me to think thats more of your average vape hit. At 7 seconds on the mini, the meter shows 4.31. So 4.37 vs 4.31, $211.00 vs $62.00? I can see why far more people own lavatubes."

Zenataos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
British Columbia, Canada
"The Provari is a better device no doubt about that. The question is, is it 150 dollars better? I'm mean if we're going off just this video, 4.37 vs 4.27 and to get that 4.27 you have to do a ten second drag. That's a long pull. When you took a pull off the provari you took a 7 second drag which would lead me to think thats more of your average vape hit. At 7 seconds on the mini, the meter shows 4.31. So 4.37 vs 4.31, $211.00 vs $62.00? I can see why far more people own lavatubes."

The Lavatube is set at 4.5volts, which *starts* at 4.4volts and drops from there, if you are using a V2 Provari, you set 4.5 and you get 4.5, and it does not drop. I myself take a rather long drag off my e-cig, I don't take a 2 second puff, its probably closer to 7 or 8 seconds.

Reguarding the fact that the Provari is $150 more expensive, yes it is more expensive. I'm the type of person that would rather go out to dinner at a steak house and drop $100 than go to McDonalds and spend $10.

Compared to how much we used to spend on analogues the Provari is still cheap in the long run.

** I used to spend over $350 a month on cigarettes and cigars.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
The Lavatube is set at 4.5volts, which *starts* at 4.4volts and drops from there, if you are using a V2 Provari, you set 4.5 and you get 4.5, and it does not drop. I myself take a rather long drag off my e-cig, I don't take a 2 second puff, its probably closer to 7 or 8 seconds.

Reguarding the fact that the Provari is $150 more expensive, yes it is more expensive. I'm the type of person that would rather go out to dinner at a steak house and drop $100 than go to McDonalds and spend $10.

Compared to how much we used to spend on analogues the Provari is still cheap in the long run.

** I used to spend over $350 a month on cigarettes and cigars.

That's not my quote that was a user comment on the video. I would rather cook the steak at home on my Weber..in fact I cooked a 5lb boneless prime rib today but it cost me $40 it came out really nice and served 4 with leftover for tomorrow..I understand quality and value but you're talking about one device that is going to get scratches after a couple months stainless or not. I bought a Weber grill because I knew it would last and it's over 12 now still works flawlessly with the original burner..doubt a Provari will last 12 years..yet it costs more than half what I paid for my grill.

Also if you use a few flavors as I do it's a pain changing devices. I spent $60-80 a month on smokes that were pretty decent at the reservation and I was a 1-2 PAD smoker..although I used to smoke Marlboro box reds for over 20 (I smoked over 25 years) years..when they went over $25 a carton at the reservation I switched brands.

artbyshan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
Well- I now have more things to research and angles to consider. I really appreciate all of your help. I'm sure each device has it's advantages. I like steak also, but can't afford it every meal. Sometimes a burger hits the spot. I agree the Provari is awesome (Again, I own a version 2), and if I could get another one now, I would (Or maybe a Darwin). Just want something inexpensive for now. I really do appreciate the comments.

Last edited:

speedemon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Watch the classys if you can find a krimsomkustom evercool box they are great i have 3 provaris and one kk VV box it is light weight and the evercool is outstanding runs dc cartos and batteries last long.He is not selling them no more so you might catch one on the classys.I bring that and a vari with me to work daily.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Well- I now have more things to research and angles to consider. I really appreciate all of your help. I'm sure each device has it's advantages. I like steak also, but can't afford it every meal. Sometimes a burger hits the spot. I agree the Provari is awesome (Again, I own a version 2), and if I could get another one now, I would (Or maybe a Darwin). Just want something inexpensive for now. I really do appreciate the comments.

I think you would be pretty happy with a LT tube..plus they come with a 1 year warranty from a lot of sites..Apollo sell them at a reasonable price with a 1yr warranty. I can't afford to eat steaks everyday either (not that I would want it everyday) and I cook most of my own food.

lalasalama8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2012
north carolina coast
to answer your question about the Smoktek Varicool VV....absolutely love mine. I use it exactly like you intend, for when I am out and about. fits easily in a pocket with a carto attached. I usually bring along a few extra loaded up cartos in a little plastic tube with a screw on lid. If the voltage drops as the batteries drain, I sure haven't noticed. It's built surprisingly well..a tough little bugger. You can easily wrap it in your hand and it will pretty much disappear...nice unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread