Looking for a Good Stick-Style Vape - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Hello ECFers! My wife has been having quite a tough time finding a good stick style vape.
She loved the Aspire Pockex. But when the included coil burned out, the replacement heads were all faulty. they would not wick and just kept giving dry hits. dozens of faulty coils later, we gave up on the device altogether. sad too because the included coil was great.

so i bought her the Joyetech Exceed D19. same problem. coil heads wont wick properly.
we switched her from 65VG juice to 65PG juice. that didnt help.

im thinking the same problem occurred here: poor manufacturing of the coil heads.

So, please help us find her a similar type of device (a stick style / cylindrical vape). is anyone using, or know of a vape like this with reliable replacement coil heads?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

the wind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
alabama
Hello ECFers! My wife has been having quite a tough time finding a good stick style vape.
She loved the Aspire Pockex. But when the included coil burned out, the replacement heads were all faulty. they would not wick and just kept giving dry hits. dozens of faulty coils later, we gave up on the device altogether. sad too because the included coil was great.
I remember talken ego b and c back in the day with you,a step up was a t3.not sure why nobody still uses them for their compact size.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
vape-kits-cascade-one-kit-vape-pen

Might try this. I don’t have this one, but very happy with their other products, coils included.

I will say that I’m surprised to hear so many aspire coils being duds. I have 3 different aspire tanks, and while I’ve had the stray dud, most performed very well.

And it’s likely not the pg/ vg ratio of her juice either, because I am all over with mine, no problem.

I have to wonder if you’ve gotten authentic coils or knock offs, and how well they were primed. Not priming or under priming will kill any coils.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I tend to agree with @DeloresRose . Aspire coils, especially the bottom vertical coils (BVC) for the Aspire Nautilus, have been around for a long time and have a good reputation for quality control. So good that many other tank manufacturers (ie Kabuki from House of Hybrids) are designed to use them. Have you been using authentic Nautilus coils? Have you been "priming" them properly?

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i remember talking with you too, the Wind! man those ego tanks bring back some old memories!

DeloresRose, thank you for the suggestions. that vaporesso unit looks nice. might have to give that one a try.

i hadnt checked the boxes of aspire coils to see if theyre authentic. the packaging looked official but i ought to check.

how do you prime the coils? i had just been putting a couple of drops on the exposed wick area, then allowing them to soak in the tank anywhere from several minutes to overnight. but maybe theres a better way to prime??

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i bought the coils from what i believe to be reputable stores (My Freedom Smokes, and LiteCigUSA)
i still have a box or two so once i get home i'll check to see if theyre authentic.
but anyway, whats the best priming method for these type of coils?
Aspire Nautilus X / Pockex - Utech SS Coil .6ohm (5pk)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
how do you prime the coils? i had just been putting a couple of drops on the exposed wick area, then allowing them to soak in the tank anywhere from several minutes to overnight. but maybe theres a better way to prime??

To prime the coils, make sure the entire wick is completely saturated with liquid before putting the base in the tank and filling it. They should be ready to vape immediately or within a couple of minutes this way. The method you described is the "old way" and can leave pockets of air trapped in the wick material causing dry spots, scorching wick, and horrible taste.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
While looking on You Tube for a video that shows how to prime a Nautilus X coil, I was surprised to find that a lot of reviewers didn't prime their coils, at least not on camera. Many just installed a new coil and then filled the tank to sit for a while.

However, it just seems like common wisdom to me that every new coil should be primed first. At least a few drops of e-liquid onto the cotton wick. I personally don't believe you can over-prime a coil. I like to see the cotton totally saturated with juice...much like the appearance of a slushy drink. Maybe I'm just "old school" that way.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Thanks ScottP. i will try to get more liquid in the coil head before having her vape it. this new way of priming passed me by because i rebuild all my attys. but the wifey prefers replaceable coils and until fairly recently, she was using Evods so neither of us knew of this. but it makes sense.
the only thing that gets me confused that is the installed coil included with each of her units worked beautifully. we didnt prime these coils extensively. just a few drops on the outside and they worked great. but with the replacement coils, its just been dud after dud.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Kemosabe - An Evod Mega Kit is another good stick mod and matching tank, IMO. Its battery is 1900mAh, 18.5mm in diameter, and it lasts a good while even with chain vaping. The matching tank holds 2.5mL and takes the KangerTech Dual Coils that come in the Whitish colored box (in a variety of resistances, too). The coils are also readily available and inexpensive for a box of 5. Kit also includes a micro USB cord. Comes in 5 colors. The whole kits have been on sale for between about $15-22 recently.

ETA: Kangertech Mega EVOD ecig starter kit - $18.95 with Free S/H. Customer reviews are reliable, too, based on my own experience with mine and what I've heard from several friends.

Available in Black, Blue, SS, and Red here for $24.95 + S/H:
Kanger eVod Mega Starter Kit

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've heard elsewhere (on here somewhere) that the pocketx coils can be trouble.

If you want a stick style battery maybe an Ego One Mega V2 kit, only you have to use the Joytech CLR coils to get a great vape (1.0 resistance for MTL). I have not had the greatest success getting the coils to read and actually bought a couple of Ego one (V1) starter kits because they're designed for that coil (I think) or in any case, I have less trouble with them. The battery life isn't huge on those either, but you can pick one up on clearance (maybe either) IDK.

That might be one option the coils last a long time and can be rewicked (easily) and even recoiled (a bit more of an effort).

I'd normally suggest an Aspire Zelos kit, but it's not pen style at all. Also the more robust starter kits, some of them are pen style, and slightly more durable than an ego AOI kit. That coil burns if you look at it funny. (JMO as always).

Anna

Reactions: Kemosabe

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
i remember talking with you too, the Wind! man those ego tanks bring back some old memories!

DeloresRose, thank you for the suggestions. that vaporesso unit looks nice. might have to give that one a try.

i hadnt checked the boxes of aspire coils to see if theyre authentic. the packaging looked official but i ought to check.

That’s pretty much what I do, and I lower the watts on the mod and gradually bring it back up. Not sure what else could be the problem. What ohms and watts is she using? Maybe too high?

Maybe someone else has other suggestions?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
but the wifey prefers replaceable coils and until fairly recently, she was using Evods so neither of us knew of this.

I made my wife learn to rebuild. We started on EVODs/ARO's (Smok version of EVOD) and we both started building on those. Now she is building and wicking her own coils in her Ares tanks and loving it.

I did make is super easy for her, I cut a piece of yarn the right length to cut the wire to use as a template, I also cut a strip of cardboard out of a cereal box to use as wick width cutting template and I taught her to use the 3mm Coil Master jig. She was reluctant at first to learn (she wanted me to do it), but I brought up what would she do if I happened to be out of town on a trip, in the hospital, or worse and she needed a new coil.

Next up is teaching her to DIY the juice.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
lower the watts on the mod and gradually bring it back up.

^

I think this is wise to do on all new drop in coils :)
Drop the watts and vape a while...increase a bit and vape some more...etc...

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston

so i bought her the Joyetech Exceed D19. same problem. coil heads wont wick properly.
we switched her from 65VG juice to 65PG juice. that didnt help.

im thinking the same problem occurred here: poor manufacturing of the coil heads.

So, please help us find her a similar type of device (a stick style / cylindrical vape). is anyone using, or know of a vape like this with reliable replacement coil heads?

The Joytech Exceed D19 was my first vape device. It’s a great little vape pen. If the coils aren’t working correctly then it’s probably not being primed correctly. Do you know if she’s priming the coils before using? Here’s another trick people use - poke holes in the cotton in the coil with a safety pin or something. That will help with wicking.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I started and quit smoking on the innokin endura t18. Its similar in size to the pockex just a wee bit longer - had no trouble with the coils if I primed them and actually had no trouble b4 I learnt how to prime them properly either ;)

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    vape-kits-cascade-one-kit-vape-pen

Might try this. I don’t have this one, but very happy with their other products, coils included.

I will say that I’m surprised to hear so many aspire coils being duds. I have 3 different aspire tanks, and while I’ve had the stray dud, most performed very well.

And it’s likely not the pg/ vg ratio of her juice either, because I am all over with mine, no problem.

I have to wonder if you’ve gotten authentic coils or knock offs, and how well they were primed. Not priming or under priming will kill any coils.
    The plus one looks pretty nice - 5ml tank! I am not overly into non-removable batteries but that one looks kind of cool.

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 2, 2017
    Suffolk UK
    20180501_110132.jpg
    20180501_110252.jpg
    20180501_110556.jpg
    Screenshot_20180501-111549.jpg
    20180501_112947.jpg
    20180501_112947.jpg
    Screenshot_20180501-111549.jpg
    20180501_110132.jpg
    20180501_110252.jpg
    Hi @Kemosabe , when you brought up this issue before I suggested it was down to the cold weather.
    I stopped using mine as I was having the same issues .
    I have just picked mine up again and it tastes fine.
    Eliquid has the annoying habit of getting very sluggish with only a few degrees drop in ambient temperature. Especially when you use VG predominant juice .
    Another device I use that is more DTL but the same fire only , no v/v etc is the Vaporesso Verco Solo Kit.

Here are some photos of genuine Aspire coils and my little Solo for when I'm "art'n'abart".

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread