Looking for a little advice re coil building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
It's funny how vaping is quickly becoming a hobby. Just a week or two ago I had no interest in building my own coils. I dismissed the suggestion without thought. Now though, I can wait to get the kit together and get my first build under my belt. I have a list of items I will need to buy. I'll post that list here, so could you guys let me know if I need to add anything else? I probably have most of the items in my toolbox but I'm kinda fussy so I want a kit specifically for coils building. So, the list I have is:

Coil Master Kit (or similar)
Wire
Cotton/Rayon
A few RDA clones (to practice on various decks)
Ohm meter

Will the Coil Master kit contain all the tools I will need or is there anything else I might need? I was thinking about getting some 14 gauge blunt needles for micro/nano builds. I'm actually not sure what the difference is between micro, macro and nano builds so maybe someone could enlighten me there. Ok, also, what gauge wire should I look for? I'm aiming to build coils ranging from .5 to 1.2 ohm.

I have a few practical questions I have about the actual build too. How do I get the ohm that I'm aiming for? How many times should the wire be wrapped and what is the twisted wire used for?

Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: NickVapesEh

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
next time you pass by the cosmetics aisle...

IMG_20150221_231727.jpg

get several gauges of wire.
you can twist thin wire together to simulate thicker wire.

get steel wire: can use used both in wattage and in tc mode.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
For ideas on getting the coil build you want, use the Steam Engine Coil Tool - very handy for getting the target resistance you want with a variety of wire types and gauges. The Coil Master kit should have all the basics you need to get going with building. Start with basic builds and work your way up. There's as much art and technique to building and wicking as there is mechanics.

Reactions: Waxxiii

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    The basic set of tools that I keep around my rebuild desk are:
    1. Sharp scissors (for cutting wick)
    2. Sharp wire cutters (obvious)
    3. Sharp nose tweezers
    4. Ceramic tweezers
    5. Fine Needle nose pliers
    6. Very small phillips screw driver
    7. Lots of paper towels (spills, cleanup, exc.)
    8. Needle syringe (for getting juice in/out of a tank)

NickVapesEh

Nov 25, 2015
    Canada
    It's funny how vaping is quickly becoming a hobby. Just a week or two ago I had no interest in building my own coils. I dismissed the suggestion without thought. Now though, I can wait to get the kit together and get my first build under my belt. I have a list of items I will need to buy. I'll post that list here, so could you guys let me know if I need to add anything else? I probably have most of the items in my toolbox but I'm kinda fussy so I want a kit specifically for coils building. So, the list I have is:

Wire
    Cotton/Rayon
    Ohm meter

Will the Coil Master kit contain all the tools I will need or is there anything else I might need? I was thinking about getting some 14 gauge blunt needles for micro/nano builds. I'm actually not sure what the difference is between micro, macro and nano builds so maybe someone could enlighten me there. Ok, also, what gauge wire should I look for? I'm aiming to build coils ranging from .5 to 1.2 ohm.

I have a few practical questions I have about the actual build too. How do I get the ohm that I'm aiming for? How many times should the wire be wrapped and what is the twisted wire used for?

The coil master kit is perfect for learning your first coils. It contains most of what you need other than a rebuildable atomizer and a device or mech mod.

NickVapesEh

Nov 25, 2015
    Canada

Wire
    Cotton/Rayon
    Ohm meter

Generally you want to stay above .5 when first building. Try 8-12 wraps of 26-28 guage kanthal a1 around the 2-3mm coil master coiler. If your getting lower readings add more wraps.

aceman3330

ECF Veteran
    Jun 10, 2014
    Nakhonsithammarat, Thailand
    If possible, I would suggest one more, the 521 tab, from Coil Master. The reason being that you can actually measure the length of wire to the ohm you want plus you can burn your coils/rda right on it.
    BTW, the differences between micro, macro and nano is in the gap between your wraps. But let's not worry about that at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
    Thanks everyone. I'll order a tool kit from Fasttech for now along with a few RDA clones to practice on. I'm thinking that a Stumpy, Vertex Mini, Velocity Mini and Derringer will make a nice start up collection. It will give me some idea what I like before I shell out on an authentic too. Where do you tend to buy Kanthal?

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 1, 2015
    On the River, GA
    Thanks everyone. I'll order a tool kit from Fasttech for now along with a few RDA clones to practice on. I'm thinking that a Stumpy, Vertex Mini, Velocity Mini and Derringer will make a nice start up collection. It will give me some idea what I like before I shell out on an authentic too. Where do you tend to buy Kanthal?
    I have the stumpy and a handful of derringers, hit me up when ya get em in and I'll help ya get em set up so they work right for ya :)

Reactions: MMW

cj081283

ECF Veteran
    May 15, 2015
    You have a nice handful there to start with. :) If you stick with rebuilding you'll have a lot of fun experimenting. Don't be surprised if you start ripping builds out after a few hours or a day to try something else.

My favorite for simplistics in building was the velocity, but I'm gonna be the salmon against the river here an say that besides for certain builds, I prefer building on the more conventional 3 post decks (well 3 posts but 4 holes like the induldgence mutation series or the sapor wotofo)I love the velocity deck, don't get me wrong, but even with everything I've tried in it I wasn't able to ace the flavor I wanted out of it. Close, but no cigar. Though I only had the standard size, not the mini.

Reactions: suprtrkr

KayP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 21, 2015
    Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
    @Waxxiii Hi! It has been a while. Good to see you're taking an interest in coil building. I own a Coil Master DIY and it has all the tools I need for building. Of course you'll still need to buy more cotton and coils.

I'm also getting the Stumpy Clone from FT; in fact, I went a bit crazy and I'm getting quite a few things from them. I just couldn't pass on their discounts. Granted it'll be a while before we get to play with our new gear, but I hope you have great fun.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
    @Waxxiii Hi! It has been a while. Good to see you're taking an interest in coil building. I own a Coil Master DIY and it has all the tools I need for building. Of course you'll still need to buy more cotton and coils.

I'm also getting the Stumpy Clone from FT; in fact, I went a bit crazy and I'm getting quite a few things from them. I just couldn't pass on their discounts. Granted it'll be a while before we get to play with our new gear, but I hope you have great fun.
    Oh, I get so excited when I think of coil building now, and OH, how I love Fasttech. I am ordering the coil building tool kit from Fasttech on Monday. It is an exact copy of the Coil Master kit so I should be good to start providing I have some Kanthal and Rayon (Hello eBay). As well as the RDA's that I entioned in an earlier post I'm also looking at the Freakshow Mini and the Sapor. I can't wait to get my goodies.

I was nervous about ordering from Fasttech, especially after reading that the authenticity label is removed (I read in avpost that you had the same concern), however, after reading in the comments that someone checked the authenticity of the Kbox 120w and it was a genuine I relaxed a bit. I could not afford to buy the things I want if not for Fasttech. I bloody love the place. I will be ordering myself a Kbox 120w from there next week also.

How was your first build? Are they much better now?

KayP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 21, 2015
    Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
    Oh, I get so excited when I think of coil building now, and OH, how I love Fasttech. I am ordering the coil building tool kit from Fasttech on Monday. It is an exact copy of the Coil Master kit so I should be good to start providing I have some Kanthal and Rayon (Hello eBay). As well as the RDA's that I entioned in an earlier post I'm also looking at the Freakshow Mini and the Sapor. I can't wait to get my goodies.
    I'm glad to hear. As I've said, I have been building my own coils from day one, and it's not difficult at all. In addition, having great resources like the Steam Engine and ECF does make it all a breeze.
    I was nervous about ordering from Fasttech, especially after reading that the authenticity label is removed (I read in avpost that you had the same concern), however, after reading in the comments that someone checked the authenticity of the Kbox 120w and it was a genuine I relaxed a bit. I could not afford to buy the things I want if not for Fasttech. I bloody love the place. I will be ordering myself a Kbox 120w from there next week also.
    I was also nervous ordering from FT, but after reading up on the forums here and on FT, I felt more confident. If I shopped elsewhere, I would've only be able to afford a fourth of my FT shopping cart.
    How was your first build? Are they much better now?
    My Aromamizer tank? Oh yes, that's going well. Thanks to @gadgetkeith and @suprtrkr I got it up and running. I have a dual clapton build running in it :) In addition, I have also set up my Griffin tank with dual claptons too, and so I now have 3 set ups readily available. I feel so spoiled :) Give a month and when my FT order arrives, I'll need to find somewhere to store all my shiny goodies. Uuummm shiinniiieee.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 12, 2015
    Georgia

I purchase my kanthal straight from lightning vapes.

Keep us updated with all of this.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    My first suggestion is to keep your builds "simple". K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, stupid.) You can try the fancier, exotic builds later after you gain some experience and skills. To this day, I still build only simple open loop or compressed microcoils. I build 3 mm coils (diameter) simply because the larger diameter is easier to put wick into.

Experiment with different wire gauges to see which best suits the way you like to vape. 28 gauge is usually most recommended for beginners and is the most versatile. I personally use 28 gauge, 4 loops around a 3 mm. screwdriver, two wires of 1.2 ohms which ends up being 0.6 ohms combined.

Information Resources for Your First RBA
    • An essential read and referrance guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.
    Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
    • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

Reactions: Waxxiii
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread