Status
Not open for further replies.

captiancd89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Boston, MA
Hi Guys,

Hope everyones week is starting off well.

I am a noob when it comes to dripping and building coils. I started about a month ago with some crappy clone and 28g wire. I love messing around with builds, I probably rebuild 1ce a day at this point.

My current setup I am using is:
Limitless mod Copper body
Mutation X v4 rda
and two Li 18650s @ 3.7v (2500mAh 9.25WH)
My current coil is:
2x 6 wraps of 24g ohmd out at .24 resistance

I am looking to get into a lower resistance then I am at currently but am hesitant as I want to be as safe as possible. I was thinking about going to .22g wire but I am not sure what is best. At the moment I am just chasing those clouds and performance.

Is there anyone who would be interested in having a conversation on the subject with me? Im available on most online IM services (skype,facebook,steam,etc)

Thanks for your time!

Romano Cheese

Master Mod Womper
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey @captiancd89 from what I know of 18650's limits and safety, you are already below the safe range as far as resistance on a mech mod and I highly recommend not going any lower. The only way to go lower in resistance would be if you were using a regulated mod, but with a mech .2Ω is pushing the limits of any battery on the market. @Baditude and @Mooch both have blogs that go into the detail of batteries capabilities and it may be helpful if you read them.

itskohler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Aventura, FL
Lets just have that convo here. I was an AVID user of mechs until I got my first high-powered box. Now, I cant help but think that mechs are the past. I can build an insane coil, not paying attention to resistance and focusing on wicking and surface area, and vape like a train. Given it any thought?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi Guys,

I am a noob when it comes to dripping and building coils. I started about a month ago with some crappy clone and 28g wire. I love messing around with builds, I probably rebuild 1ce a day at this point.

Limitless MOD Copper body
Mutation X v4 RDA
My current coil is:

I am looking to get into a lower resistance then I am at currently but am hesitant as I want to be as safe as possible. I was thinking about going to .22g wire but I am not sure what is best. At the moment I am just chasing those clouds and performance.

Is there anyone who would be interested in having a conversation on the subject with me? Im available on most online IM services (skype,facebook,steam,etc)

Thanks for your time!

I've been using rda's almost exclusively for months now; always above 1 ohm and mostly above 2 ohm single coil 28 gauge (started with 30 gauge), 5 to 6 volts.

seems to me for safety reasons you should get yourself a dual battery regulated mod instead of trying to pull a hundred watts out of one 1 ounce battery.

captiancd89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Boston, MA
Hey @captiancd89 from what I know of 18650's limits and safety, you are already below the safe range as far as resistance on a mech mod and I highly recommend not going any lower. The only way to go lower in resistance would be if you were using a regulated mod, but with a mech .2Ω is pushing the limits of any battery on the market. @Baditude and @Mooch both have blogs that go into the detail of batteries capabilities and it may be helpful if you read them.
Thank you so much for this heads up. I would not like to do anything dangerous. I will keep this in mind moving forward.

Lets just have that convo here. I was an AVID user of mechs until I got my first high-powered box. Now, I cant help but think that mechs are the past. I can build an insane coil, not paying attention to resistance and focusing on wicking and surface area, and vape like a train. Given it any thought?
I would absolutly be interested in learning more about highpowered box mods. What would you suggest? I know there are limitations to builds on some of these mods (an example is a itaste v3 I have that cannot accept coils under 1ohm)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thank you so much for this heads up. I would not like to do anything dangerous. I will keep this in mind moving forward.

I would absolutly be interested in learning more about highpowered box mods. What would you suggest? I know there are limitations to builds on some of these mods (an example is a itaste v3 I have that cannot accept coils under 1ohm)

look at the sigelei 150.
and keep in mind, once you use a vv/vw box mod, you no longer have to go quite as low in ohms to achieve high power because you are now using higher voltage.

you will also need to keep the pair of batteries for it matched.

captiancd89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Boston, MA
look at the sigelei 150.
and keep in mind, once you use a vv/vw box mod, you no longer have to go quite as low in ohms to achieve high power because you are now using higher voltage.

you will also need to keep the pair of batteries for it matched.
Here is what my B&M have in stock right now: i am thinking about going to get one today:

snowwolf 200 $149
Sigelei 150W $139
Sigelei 150W $149
Sigalei 75w
ipv 4s
ipv 3li

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Hi Guys,

Limitless MOD Copper body
Mutation X v4 RDA
My current coil is:

Thanks for your time!

Wouldn't it make more sense to try your "math" / builds with a calculator to check and see what the limit ranges will essentially be @ with any ohm / size wire ?
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Reactions: Tagi

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville

Romano Cheese

Master Mod Womper
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

captiancd89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Boston, MA
I got my IPV3 Li for $75 on myvaporstore.com if you are interested in a good box mod. I like the temperature control feature it works well, plus you can update the firmware for 200w.
iPV3-Li V2 165W Temperature Control Mod by Pioneer4you
iPV4S 120W Box MOD by Pioneer4you Greenleaf
Sigelei 150W Box Mod- Silver
Sigelei 150W TC Temperature Control Mod

You are going to need to add in the cost of a charger and a set of married 18650s too.
What do you think about the PV3-Li vs the Sigelei 150 TC?

Romano Cheese

Master Mod Womper
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What do you think about the PV3-Li vs the Sigelei 150 TC?

I think the argument goes as well as Xbox vs Playstation. They both are good devices, what matters is what YOU like. If you are going to your vape shop, hold them, play around with them, get the feel of it and see what you like better. One of the deciding factors for me was (besides thinking the Sigelei looked terrible) the ability to update the firmware on the IPV, which took it from 165W with Nickel temp control to 200W and Titanium (the Sigelei only does Nickel temperature control). But it's a pretty bulky box and big in the hand. I would suggest watch a few YouTube reviews on each one and see them use the features and talk about them or check them out at a vape shop.

Reactions: edyle

captiancd89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Boston, MA
IPV Li all the way my friend.
Thank you everyone for the input! I went ahead an got a IPV Li and a few of these samsung batteries :) Very excited to try it out!

DC4YK85.jpg

Reactions: Romano Cheese

captiancd89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Boston, MA
@captiancd89 congrats man enjoy! I grabbed a silicone sleeve for mine off ebay for $7 - fits perfectly nice and snug. The touch sensor is a nice little feature I didn't care for when I bought it, now I'm using it more and more
What would you suggest for an RDA build on this device? my current .24 will work but as its adjustable would it be better to make a higher ohm build and just crank the voltage up more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread