Looking For High Flavor Fruit Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
don't touch it for at least 2 weeks don't open bottle!
wp_ss_20190329_0008 (2).png

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Looking for recipe for something Strawberry or similar.

I've been making a NannerBerry eliquid for several years now, that a few friends have me make for them as well, and some ECF members have used my recipe and liked it, too. Very simple one to make and is a shake and vape, as written below.

TFA Strawberry Ripe - 9%
TFA Banana Cream (or the DX version) - 6%
TFA Cotton Candy - 2%

If you'd like a more tartness to the Strawberry in it, you can use a combo of TFA Strawberry Ripe @ 6% + TFA Strawberry @ 3% instead. The TFA Strawberry does have ethyl alcohol in it though...so I always let the finished eliquid "breathe" (dripper and cap off) for several hours after I give it a good shake. The EA evaporates off before you vape the eliquid, which is better for your lungs.

Steensj2004

Mar 26, 2019
I've been making a NannerBerry eliquid for several years now, that a few friends have me make for them as well, and some ECF members have used my recipe and liked it, too. Very simple one to make and is a shake and vape, as written below.

TFA Strawberry Ripe - 9%
TFA Banana Cream (or the DX version) - 6%
TFA Cotton Candy - 2%

If you'd like a more tartness to the Strawberry in it, you can use a combo of TFA Strawberry Ripe @ 6% + TFA Strawberry @ 3% instead. The TFA Strawberry does have ethyl alcohol in it though...so I always let the finished eliquid "breathe" (dripper and cap off) for several hours after I give it a good shake. The EA evaporates off before you vape the eliquid, which is better for your lungs.

Do you age/steep at all?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Do you age/steep at all?

I only make a few recipes that I leave alone for a few days to a week before vaping them. The 1st NannerBerry version I posted above, isn't 1 of them. It's a shake and vape. However, if/when I make the 2nd version (with the TFA Strawberry that has ethyl alcohol in it), I don't vape it until I let it evaporate off.

Usually, 1 of the benefits of using higher total flavoring % in a recipe (like most commercial eliquids are made) is that most are then shake and vape. Bill's Magic Vapor is/was one of the high total flavoring % believers, back when gear was older, less efficient, etc. while he was a commercial eliquid maker. You might like to browse through his Blog (linked below) and read some of his tips, hints, helps for problems some people have with their DIY. A bunch of his recipes are within his Blog sections, too. He has been an invaluable source of DIY info on ECF, both in threads and in his Blog. He no longer frequents ECF though, because his job (some type of engineer IIRC) has kept him tremendously busy for the last few years.

When I first started DIY, I made quite a few of his recipes and loved them. I still have the file of about 50+ of them stored on my computer. 6-8 of them are still some of my favorites...though I've cut the % down to about 1/2 of what's written in them. My taste buds are more sensitive now than they were even a year after I quit smoking.

Bill's Magic Vapor's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Steensj2004

Mar 26, 2019
I only make a few recipes that I leave alone for a few days to a week before vaping them. The 1st NannerBerry version I posted above, isn't 1 of them. It's a shake and vape. However, if/when I make the 2nd version (with the TFA Strawberry that has ethyl alcohol in it), I don't vape it until I let it evaporate off.

Usually, 1 of the benefits of using higher total flavoring % in a recipe (like most commercial eliquids are made) is that most are then shake and vape. Bill's Magic Vapor is/was one of the high total flavoring % believers, back when gear was older, less efficient, etc. while he was a commercial eliquid maker. You might like to browse through his Blog (linked below) and read some of his tips, hints, helps for problems some people have with their DIY. A bunch of his recipes are within his Blog sections, too. He has been an invaluable source of DIY info on ECF, both in threads and in his Blog. He no longer frequents ECF though, because his job (some type of engineer IIRC) has kept him tremendously busy for the last few years.

When I first started DIY, I made quite a few of his recipes and loved them. I still have the file of about 50+ of them stored on my computer. 6-8 of them are still some of my favorites...though I've cut the % down to about 1/2 of what's written in them. My taste buds are more sensitive now than they were even a year after I quit smoking.

Ok. Fantastic. Thanks for the help, I’ve ordered two flavorings to try your recipe above. Are you mixing VG/PG at 70/30 or 80/20?

Reactions: JCinFLA

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts

This the first I've heard of Bill's. I'll go through his blog. But, tell us which are your favorites.

Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
This the first I've heard of Bill's. I'll go through his blog. But, tell us which are your favorites.

Bill was very active on the old The Flavor Apprentice thread for quite a few years. However, it's been locked (is no longer open to replies) since Jan. 2018. But it can still be accessed and read. He was so helpful and kind to anyone/everyone who asked for his advice, suggestions to help fix mixes they'd made, answers to specific questions about TFA flavorings, etc. His last post was about 2 years ago probably IIRC.

Here's a link to that thread. Beware though...it's 769 pages long and was started Sept. of 2012! :shock: There's a wealth of information, recipes, etc. from many members on it, in addition to Bill's posts. :)

The Flavor Apprentice Flavoring Thread

By the way, another thing found in his Blog that was especially very helpful to me when I first started DIY, and a method I still use when trying a new-to-me recipe and/or when I make 1 of my own creations...is his 100DTT (100 drop taste test). You make a very small 100-drop sample of a recipe. You go through the process of vaping a few drops, making a single change and taking notes on that change, vaping a few more drops, tweaking again and taking notes, etc., etc. When the sample is exactly to your liking, you're done! You'll have the notes you need...to look back and adjust the % of any flavoring in the original recipe...that you may have changed while doing the test. You then use that adjusted recipe to make your larger batches, and they'll taste just like your finished sample did.

I was just going to post some of my favorite recipes of his, but decided to give a little more info on Bill, the TFA thread, 100DTT, etc. while I was at it. I hope some of it may be interesting and helpful, too. So, finally, here are several of his original recipes, as he wrote them, that are my favorites. I made tweaks to each one, to suit my own tastes...while doing the 100DTT on them. So my own finished recipes are slightly different than his originals, as yours most likely would be, too.

I, personally, choose to use the DX versions (diketone free) of any TFA flavorings when available. Some people say they taste different to them than the originals, but they don't to me. I also usually substitute an alcohol-free flavoring version, if 1 is available (ie. I use TFA Peach instead of TFA Juicy Peach), so I don't need to let the alcohol evaporate off. Again though, that's a personal preference. Sometimes, I'll use some of each 1 though, to make up the % called for in the recipe. For example, if it called for Juicy Peach @ 6%, I might use Juicy Peach @ 2% + Peach @ 4%.

Also, depending on how long it's been since you smoked, your taste buds may have healed, so they detect flavorings better now. The high total flavoring % in Bill's recipes, were for commercial eliquids, geared toward smokers transitioning to vaping. So, you may want to reduce the % of each flavoring from the get-go (by 1/3 or even 1/2), if you do a 100DTT or otherwise make a small test sample to tweak. It's always easier to add more flavoring than try to dilute a mix.

ALL flavorings are TFA.

Flamingo

Strawberry - 8%
Juicy Peach - 7%
Coconut - 3%
Sweetener - 2%

Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon (Water Sol.) - 12%
Marshmallow - 6%
Bavarian Cream - 4%
Cotton Candy - 5%
Graham Cracker - 3%

Root Beer Float

Root Beer Float - 10%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream - 5%
Sweetener - 4%
Koolada - 1%

Jo's Peach Cobbler

Juicy Peach - 12%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream - 3%
Sweet cream - 3%
Brown Sugar - 2%
Graham Cracker - 2%
Cinnamon Danish - .5%
Sweetener - 4%

Tropical Paradise

Pineapple - 7% (To me, this is a potent flavoring!)
Coconut - 6%
Bavarian Cream - 6%
Dulce De Leche - 2%
Sweetener - 2%

Cream Fantastico

Blueberry Extra - 8%
Strawberries and Cream - 7%
Vanilla Swirl - 5%
Bavarian Cream - 4%
Cotton Candy - 4%
Sweetener - 2%

Wow! I'm sorry all the above turned out to be so long. ;)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
You're welcome. I hope some of it will be useful.

As almost always, I wish had all those flavorings!

Well, I do tend to buy particular flavorings in the 4oz size, especially when I find recipes I really like and plan to make often. So, if there's 1 of the recipes above that you'd especially like to try...please PM me. We can discuss the flavorings in that recipe...as far as which one(s) you may already have and which you'd need. I'll then see that you'll have them to make the recipe. I don't have the Koolada for the Root Beer Float though, because I don't like it or use it at all. I tried it once in the recipe and then gave the rest away. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: newyork13

Steensj2004

Mar 26, 2019
Update:

NanerBerry and Flamingo done. Both are big winners here. One note, I accidentally did more TFA Strawberry that TFA Strawberry Ripe. I mixed them up. Still tastes fantastic( strawberry at 6% Ripe at 2%).

Thanks for the help, these are fantastic, and can’t wait to try some more listed in here. Camp Tiger Claw and Jango’s Melons next up on the list.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
NanerBerry and Flamingo done. Both are big winners here. One note, I accidentally did more TFA Strawberry that TFA Strawberry Ripe. I mixed them up. Still tastes fantastic( strawberry at 6% Ripe at 2%).

:banana: I'm glad you like them both. Mixing up the % of the 2 Strawberries is certainly OK. Sometimes you never know what you might like, all because of a "happy accident". As long as it suits your tastes...the end result is good!

The main reason I use 6% of the Strawberry Ripe + 3% of the Strawberry in mine...is because the Strawberry has ethyl alcohol in it. The more of it in a mix...the longer I have to wait to let it evaporate off before I can vape it. Also, I like the slightly sweeter Strawberry Ripe more than the more tart Strawberry.

Thanks for the help, these are fantastic, and can’t wait to try some more listed in here. Camp Tiger Claw and Jango’s Melons next up on the list.

You're most welcome. :thumbs:

Good luck with the Camp Tiger Claw and Jango's Melons. Sounds like even more "fruity goodness" will be in your tanks soon.

By the way, I just checked the thread for the first time in awhile and accidently found your post from Saturday. I would've responded earlier, but I didn't know it was there. I didn't receive an Alert about it since there was no "tag" to me in it.

Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread