Looking for Kanger Juppi Starter Kit advice - or better alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
I have wanted to find a way for years to quit smoking; but, being a nearly 40 year smoker [so, yes, I am old(er)], this is not such an easy task. Years ago, just to start off I tried disposable e-cigs (Blu, then Vue - both ugh); and, then moved on to Kanger EVOD - also, not impressed. It leaked and was very hard to fill with juice - also produced very limited cloud. So, for a while, I just gave up.

A couple of years ago, I met a woman (also 40 year smoker), who weaned herself off of nicotine by using an Ego C-Twist. She was still using it with non-nic juice because of needing a "habit/routine" replacement for cigarettes. I thought about trying this one, but now it seems this type of e-cig is "outdated".

Now, I have a niece who just recently tried Kanger Juppi Starter Kit and seems to like it. I have been researching this product but despite YouTube and other information, I am confused about how to pick the right battery, and not sure what all I need to buy in terms of back-up stuff (external charger, coils).

I currently smoke Salem Slim Menthols - about 1/2 pack a day; and, want to start with a comparable nicotine level that I can reduce over time, but I also need something that can produce a lot of cloud. Can anyone give me some help?? Thanks!

Reactions: stols001

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Vapemesilly - there are almost a dozen different 18650 batteries that are available on the same site as the starter kit. Multiple MAHs/multiple amps - but not one reference about how to choose. I did also read about the 6 mg recommendation for this kit. Was surprised and a bit confused about that.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's the volume of vapor you will be inhaling per puff, so you will need less nicotine due to the volume of vapor you inhale. You get much more vapor, so in order to vape without nicotine overload you need a lower nicotine level..

As far as batteries, you shouldn't buy from a vape shop (even online). They often sell rewrapped cells that aren't accurate as far as capacity, or buy "seconds' that failed QC from the big three manufacturers.

Here is a blog on general battery safety and information, including tests of many batteries. You will find a chart there (I'd link it but I have not had success) with all the major batteries and their ratings after testing, and in the final cell is a list of all "reputable" battery suppliers, there are many to choose from. I am partial to IMRbatteries.com myself, but any of the authentic sellers on the list can be trusted. Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Best of luck,

Anna

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
If you were vaping with a unit running coils at 1.0 ohms or higher you would probably want to start out around at 12 mg nic. The unit you are looking at runs .25 ohm coils so lower nicotine. 12 mg nicotine would likely be way to harsh on the throat. For the battery you are probably looking at 2500 or 3000 mah, 20 or 25 amp.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I love the flavor and vapor production of the Juppi tank. It's great up to 75 Watts. Its coil assembly is not rebuildable but it is re-wickable. Replacing the wicks is a challenge though, as you have to size the cotton just right.

Kanger has discontinued the Juppi, so you may want to consider some alternatives. Their Toptank is still widely available and has twice the 2ml capacity of the Juppi. The Uwell Valerian(sp?) is also a nice alternative that has long lasting coils.

Hate to see you get a tank you fall in love with, only to have its coils disappear from the marketplace.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Read the battery blog - TMI is how I felt. Did decide, more based on YouTube info, that 2500-3000Mah, 20-25 amp would be best for The Kanger Juppi.

But, another ECF member suggested Aspire Zelos with Nautilus 2 tank. Looked at 4-5 YouTubes on this one, and may go in this direction. Have both 0.7 and 1.8 ohms coils in starter kit, so will have to figure out nic level to buy to try out both - no YouTube mentioned this aspect. Think I would end up liking 1.8 better, but who knows. Also, not sure how I feel about internal non-replaceable battery, but seems it would last quite a long time. Probably long enough for me to figure out what route to take after that. Heard the coils last a fair amount of time as well, and of course are not re-wickable, which is probably just as well.

Still researching.....

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
You have a ton of options to choose from. Here's a simple one:

Kanger EVOD PRO V2 All-in-one Starter Kit

It's $23 for the starter kit. This one (the V2) has a built in 2500 mAh battery and a 4 ml capacity. There are 3 coils available (1.5 Ohm, 1.0 Ohm, and 0.5 Ohm) although this particular site only carries the 1.0 and the 0.5 options. The flavor isn't great but it's doable and the lower resistance coils (0.5 Ohm) give a decent amount of vapor. They were actually a bit too much for me and I settled on the 1.0 Ohm coils to mimic a cig instead. I have the other version of this device that uses an 18650. I did that because I already have a good supply of 18650's and a good external charger. I have found it to be fairly rugged and dependable. I dropped mine hard enough to break the drip tip off and it still works as well as it ever did (buy an extra couple of drip tips for a buck from the same site), but it was never a high end device that gave great flavor. If you want a cheap option to use while you continue to look around then this might work for you.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
listopencil - thx. Already did the EVOD (basic, I guess). I'm sure the EVOD Pro V2 is more advanced than mine (I will look it up). But, overall I did not like it. It leaked and was very hard to fill without making a mess (not a top fill). It came with two built in re-chargeable battery units (only 650Mah), and 2 cartomizers, 5 additional coils, USB/wall charger. Produced next-to-no cloud; but, probably because the coils were 2.5 ohm - a term I knew nothing about when I got it. I got 12 ml nic for it and that also didn't seem to do the trick, but again - probably related to the ohms. I think I just bought too soon before I had any idea what to be looking for related to batteries, ohms, and pretty much everything else.

Worse case scenario, I guess I could try it again as I continue to research, since I still have coils for it. The coils did seem to burn out fast though.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I think this is probably an updated version of the one you tried. Still, there are tons of options and it seems like all the major companies are making these types of devices. If you want something like that from a different company try looking for an "AIO." That's an acronym for an all-in-one device. Typically you'll just have to supply the juice and replace the coils. And I think most of them have built in batteries.

• Agree

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
NEW QUESTIONS: If I go with the Aspire Zelos with Nautilus tank 2 - which comes with both a 1.8 & 0.7 Ohm coil:
1.) how do I pick the nicotine e-liq level to test both? Is it 6 ml for either?
2.) if what I've researched is true, 1.8 ohm coil should be set around 10-14 watts, 0.7 ohm with 18-23 watt. Then, what is the max 50 watt for - lower ohms than 0.7? I must be missing something here.
3.) is variable wattage and voltage control the same? Can't find this info anywhere. I thought voltage control would relate to the battery, but it is built-in so I can't see why there would be a voltage control option.
4.) I take it that I can figure out temp control at some time down the road, after using it. From what I've read, this is optional?

Sorry for so many questions. I've read/watched a lot now on a bunch of different ecigs and so far this model looks to be the best bet for me in my step up in vaping, but obviously I am still missing some integral info.

I also posted this under New Members, as I am not sure who is reading what....Thx.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
VV and VW are just two ways of "measuring" how much power goes to the coil, I think more modern mods use VWattage, for the most part. I don't know how to covert one to the other without a calculator, but they can both be adjusted and are in essence, the same thing.

Nicotine level COULD stay the same, depending on how you run the 0.7 coil vs the 1.8. You can achieve a similar vape on both using airflow and wattage, or if you want to run your 0.7 coil at higher wattage and etc. , you may need an adjustment or not. 6 mg/ml is still pretty low for nicotine, so I wouldn't personally hesitate to try it and I don't use the 0.7 coil very much but when I do I don't use "weaker" nicotine.

Anna

Reactions: Chajo

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
NEW QUESTIONS: If I go with the Aspire Zelos with Nautilus tank 2 - which comes with both a 1.8 & 0.7 Ohm coil:
1.) how do I pick the nicotine e-liq level to test both? Is it 6 ml for either?
2.) if what I've researched is true, 1.8 ohm coil should be set around 10-14 watts, 0.7 ohm with 18-23 watt. Then, what is the max 50 watt for - lower ohms than 0.7? I must be missing something here.
3.) is variable wattage and voltage control the same? Can't find this info anywhere. I thought voltage control would relate to the battery, but it is built-in so I can't see why there would be a voltage control option.
4.) I take it that I can figure out temp control at some time down the road, after using it. From what I've read, this is optional?

Sorry for so many questions. I've read/watched a lot now on a bunch of different ecigs and so far this model looks to be the best bet for me in my step up in vaping, but obviously I am still missing some integral info.

I also posted this under New Members, as I am not sure who is reading what....Thx.

1) Nicotine level is highly subjective. You're basically asking, "How many beers will get me tipsy?" here. Generally speaking 9 and under is for lung hits or Temp Control, 12 and over is for mouth-to-lung. It has more to do with how much power (Watts, Volts, degrees of temperature) you are pushing through the coil than just resistance. More power means lower nicotine levels.

2) That max Watts of 50 is for your mod (device/battery) not your tank (coil/wire/atomizer). Every premade atomizer coil has a different range suggested by the manufacturer.

3) Voltage and Wattage are two different ways to measure an electric circuit. The term "variable" implies that you can set your device in a specific range of values and the term "control" implies that the device operates at a specific value or range. Are you sure you aren't confusing Temp Control with "volt control"?

4) Yes. But don't use Temp Control until you understand it completely and have all of the appropriate hardware.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Thanks All! On the New Members Forum (Hi all, from a new member/Chajo), I posted the same questions, and was given several links to very GOOD videos. Anyone who is interested, go there to get the urls.

One of the videos is about VV vs. VW and was very, very helpful. But, to summarize it so my simple mind can handle it: I think my best bet is to start off with using the low range of the recommended wattage for the ohms of the coil and go from there - leaving the voltage alone, as well as temp control.

MTL vaping is likely what I will do - given that I'm trying to replace cigarettes. So, now onto researching more about nic level. At this time, I only want to replicate standard menthol tobacco flavor - what I've been smoking (Salem Slim 100s) for decades. I used 12 ml when I tried the Kanger EVOD years ago (pen type device with 2.5 ohm coil, 650mah battery); the amount of cloud was less than I wanted and therefore didn't feel satisfying. So, I always wondered if it was too low in nic level - I certainly had no clue at that time about the coil ohms or battery power affecting the volume of cloud.

Since then, I have gotten the impression that the nic level may not need to be that high, in general, on most mods. Not sure; still have to work on this aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread