The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Looking for maximum strength, least coil crud

Discussion in 'Liquid Extraction From Tobacco' started by Mitey F, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mitey F

Mitey F Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I've done a few extractions using pipe tobacco, and have had what I consider decent success. I use my NET flavorings in all of my DIY liquids. I've been steeping the tobacco in PG in a crockpot, then removing the PG with a syringe with a very fine luer lock filter attached.

I mix most of my juices to a total of 10% flavoring, and usually use about 5% tobacco flavor. Even at a low concentration, my coils are thoroughly gunked after about 15 or less ml through any given atty.

What I'm looking for is the cleanest vaping extraction method, or one which typically requires a lower percentage of the flavoring to be used.

Any recommendations on what to try?

2. Str8vision

Str8vision Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    Using PGA (ethanol), as the extraction solvent produces the cleanest best performing tobacco extract I have found so far. With ethanol you can precipitate out the oil, wax and resin leeched from the tobacco during the extraction process, something you can't do with a PG/VG based extraction. You can also concentrate the finished extract through reduction (evaporation), which allows much smaller mix ratios when flavoring your juice.

You can use the concentrated extract as is (alcohol based), or you can transfer the "flavor" into a VG or PG base and evaporate the alcohol off leaving you with a squeaky clean, highly concentrated PG or VG based tobacco extract.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mitey F

Sounds good, is there any good online source for PGA? I'm needing to order more VG and nic base (ASAP actually) and it would be nice if I could bundle it all up.

4. Str8vision

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    Best place to get PGA is a local liquor store. Ask for 190 proof Everclear, it's Pure Grain Alcohol (PGA), 95% alcohol (ethanol), 5% water. There are other brands of PGA, just be sure whatever you get is labeled "Grain Alcohol" and is at least 190 proof. If you buy it from any other source besides a liquor store be double sure that it's not denatured alcohol because that's toxic.

5. Mitey F

6. Str8vision

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    I rarely vape straight NET, like you I enjoy flavored NET and add various concentrated flavorings like caramel, vanilla or crème to the mix. I mention this because several of the flavorings I use contribute to gunky coils. Holy vanilla, Caramel candy, biscotto (cookie), and brown sugar are hard on coils but I use them anyway, great flavor. I also buy retail juice like Ahlusion's "Caramel Wild Wood", Charlie Noble's "Pistachio RY4" and "Tripoli" and add extract to them for a real tobacco presence that's forward in the mix. These tend to be harder on coils than my DIY mixes but again I do it anyway, great flavor. :)

7. Mitey F

Yes, I often times add caramel/vanilla etc to my mixes, which speeds up the process. However even when I'm vaping a tobacco/fruit flavor, my coils seem to gunk very quickly, so it must be at least in part the tobacco extracts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boxster

Boxster Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    Buda, Tx
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mitey F

10. Boxster

Boxster Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    Buda, Tx
    Oops! I must of been having a sleep deprived dyslexic moment.:lol:

11. Daddy

Daddy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  12. aceswired

aceswired Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 3, 2013
    Minnesota
    160 gets the job done just fine. Just takes a little longer.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  13. Exchaner

Exchaner Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2013
    California
    Thanks for the tip. Shipping is kind of expensive but it still costs less than my location. We only have one supplier here who sells Ethyl Alcohol - not Everclear brand.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.