Looking for specific recommendations on a new battery + a couple noob questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZimFreak

Jun 28, 2017
I saw Mooch's chart but I'm not sure which amperage I should go for. I vape at 30-40W at 0.5 ohm, on Smoant knight V1 with a Melo mini 3. I love the setup but the battery I got with my old mod is over a year old and not holding a great charge so I want to replace it. But it's just a plain brown wrap that with a sticker that reads "18650 3000mAh 3.7V" that I got from a B&M so I don't know what it is.

I tried using a calculator and it said .5 ohms at 35W equals 8.36 Amps and 4.18 Volts. Does that mean I was over-volting my old battery that says 3.7V on the wrap? I never realized that difference until now. And looking at the battery chart, many are 25-30 amps. Does that have any benefit to me since I vape at ~8 amps? Or should I just get one of the 10A high capacity batteries? I don't like a long ramp-up time, not sure if that matters.

Can anyone recommend me a specific battery around $6-10 that they know is legit, safe, reputible, etc?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Reactions: ZimFreak

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
+1 for the three batteries Beamslider recommended, a 20 amp 3000 mAh cell gives a good balance of power and capacity.
The calculation you are using is for unregulated devices and does not apply to regulated devices like yours. The way to calculate amp draw for a regulated device is described here.
An 18650 is fully charged at 4.2v and discharged around 3.2v. 3.7v is a nominal value, an average if you like.
Ramp up time is dictated by the mass of the coil and the amount of power you are applying to it, it's got nothing to do with the battery. Again I think you are thinking in terms of an unregulated device.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I tried using a calculator and it said .5 ohms at 35W equals 8.36 Amps and 4.18 Volts. Does that mean I was over-volting my old battery that says 3.7V on the wrap?

I just wanted to add a little to @sonicbomb's good advice. As has been said, that's the calculation you'd use for a mech mod. You're using a regulated mod. With a mech, the vape cools as the battery's voltage drops. With a regulated mod, the mod pulls more power as the battery's voltage drops and uses that to boost the wattage that goes to your coil. Then the current you need rises some more because the boosting isn't 100% efficient. This means that when your battery gets to its lowest voltage at the end of the charge, you're actually using just over 12 amps to get 35 watts - sonicbomb's link shows you how to calculate this yourself, and it's a good thing to know.

As for what to get, @Beamslider has you covered. It's important to buy from a reliable vendor like those on Mooch's chart because it reduces your risk of getting one of the many counterfeit batteries that are available.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Ahhh ok I that makes a lot of sense. I wasn't thinking regulated vs unregulated mods. I know enough about myself to stay away from mech mods lol. I like having a failsafe.
With the right research mechs are nifty little devices but since I got my tesla nano steampunk I don't use them.

The above suggestions are definitely the best. I seem to get best battery life out of 30qs but there's not much in it.
I'm getting LG HD2's next as they have sold out of 30qs where I get my batteries.

I am using the HG2's at the moment and they seem OK, I am going to get a set of Sony also though as the guy in my vape shop basically said that the load out is pretty user based. said he uses differing cells depending on hardware. uses Sony cells in his DNA mods but said he gets more even drain in his SMOK hardware when using the LG cells so I am going to get a few brands and test it out.... they are all reasonably priced so may as well play around. Once I have some test data I will let you know. Also said it can depend on the type of coils you are using and stuff. e.g stainless. fused. etc, etc. I will try put something together.... I am very new to vaping but I find all the tech stuff VERY interesting!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Ahhh ok I that makes a lot of sense. I wasn't thinking regulated vs unregulated mods. I know enough about myself to stay away from mech mods lol. I like having a failsafe.

Brown wrapper might be an LG HG2. It's a good battery for your regulated mod. Sony VTC5, Samsung 30Q, and Samsung 25R are all good batteries to use in a regulated mod.

Mooch shows the manufacturer's amp rating as well as his personal test rating. Choose 20A and above to ensure you have the highest current capacity available. After that, in the MAH (milliamp per hour) rating higher is better for longer vape time on a charge.

img_4813-jpg.643937

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread