Looking for SXK Kayfun v5 Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
A ruler will at least get you close @johnpalley, another good idea is if you know any folks Engineering background or local Precision Engineering companies as they will have Vernier Calipers somewhere.

And no worries on the heads up about the Exvape Expromizer V3 Fire, its build deck and airflow under the coil look very similar to the kayfun 5.

Wow, this thread became a lot longer than I expected, haha.

Just wanted to give everyone an update, though... my shipment finally cleared customs and should arrive on Thursday. I also ordered the Tobeco clone from Eciggity and that one is already at my local post office, but they're closed today due to the federal holiday, so I should receive it tomorrow.

I do plan on ordering replacement O-rings, but I haven't decided where from quite yet.

Edit: Probably getting the O-rings from here

Reactions: Tig7

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
boston
Wow, this thread became a lot longer than I expected, haha.

Just wanted to give everyone an update, though... my shipment finally cleared customs and should arrive on Thursday. I also ordered the Tobeco clone from Eciggity and that one is already at my local post office, but they're closed today due to the federal holiday, so I should receive it tomorrow.

I do plan on ordering replacement O-rings, but I haven't decided where from quite yet.

Edit: Probably getting the O-rings from here
I was looking into ordering those also but the only place I could find in the U.S. is originvape and they dont have them in stock right now. I think what im gonna do is wait to get your opinion on them before I order them. Im curious to find out if you notice a difference in the vape. Keep us posted brotha, thanks.

Reactions: Mordacai
Okay so, the Tobeco Kayfun5 arrived today. First impressions are good... decent flavor with the included mouthpiece, and although the old mouthpiece doesn't quite provide enough airflow for my preferences (the one that has a sort of dome on top and a very small hole), I've always prefered it for flavor, as it sort of "concentrated" the flavor. But even the widest airflow on the v5 is just a tad too restricted with my old mouthpiece, at least for my preferences. It's not terrible, but not quite enough. Were I in the right mood, perhaps it would be sufficient, and it does permit me to lower the wattage by about two watts and still be satisfied in terms of vapor density and nic hit. I was previously using a Kayfun Monster clone build deck with my EhPro, which had really wide airflow holes and is obviously what I was accustomed to. Nevertheless, I'd say the flavor on the v5 is fairly good using the included mouthpiece- not quite as good as my old Kayfun, but still good. Flavor with the old mouthpiece is superior to the old Kayfun. I'm also using the O-rings that came included with the Tobeco as I haven't ordered the SvoeMesto O-rings just yet.

One odd thing I've found though... I'm not a fan of sub-ohming, and I've always built my coils to about 1.8 ohms. On my old Kayfun, I would vape this at 6.3 watts, and it was perfect. The strange thing I'm noticing about the v5 is that even with 1.8 ohm coils, I need to vape it closer to 14 watts using the included mouthpiece, or 12 watts using the old mouthpiece. 6.3 watts barely produces any vapor at all using either mouthpiece. I'm not sure how to explain this discrepancy and I hope it doesn't burn out my coils more quickly, but it's definitely producing somewhat bigger clouds than before, and probably using up the liquid faster as a result.

Also, I find it very difficult to "unlock" the airflow adjustment while the tank is attached to my mod, or even when I remove it from the mod. It's most easy to unlock and adjust while disassembled. I still haven't quite figured out how to do it while it's assembled. I hope I don't run into this problem with the SXK.

So anyways, those are just the first impressions. The SXK v5 is scheduled to arrive on Thursday, and I'll post about my opinions on that as well. I'm debating whether or not I should order the O-rings tomorrow from InTaste, or if I should wait for Origin Vape to restock them. I didn't see an option on the Origin Vape page to sign up for email notifications about restocking, so I sent them an email asking to sign up for such notifications.

Once I have the O-rings, I'll make a final reply here regarding my opinions on both the Tobeco and the SXK.

Edit: Figured out how to unlock the airflow adjustment while assembled. One has to loosen the juice flow control sufficiently in order to completely lift the airflow adjustment ring. Also, make absolutely sure to completely tighten the juice flow control prior to refilling, or the juice will leak as soon as you open the top and break the pressure seal.

Last edited:

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
boston
Okay so, the Tobeco Kayfun5 arrived today. First impressions are good... decent flavor with the included mouthpiece, and although the old mouthpiece doesn't quite provide enough airflow for my preferences (the one that has a sort of dome on top and a very small hole), I've always prefered it for flavor, as it sort of "concentrated" the flavor. But even the widest airflow on the v5 is just a tad too restricted with my old mouthpiece, at least for my preferences. It's not terrible, but not quite enough. Were I in the right mood, perhaps it would be sufficient, and it does permit me to lower the wattage by about two watts and still be satisfied in terms of vapor density and nic hit. I was previously using a Kayfun Monster clone build deck with my EhPro, which had really wide airflow holes and is obviously what I was accustomed to. Nevertheless, I'd say the flavor on the v5 is fairly good using the included mouthpiece- not quite as good as my old Kayfun, but still good. Flavor with the old mouthpiece is superior to the old Kayfun. I'm also using the O-rings that came included with the Tobeco as I haven't ordered the SvoeMesto O-rings just yet.

One odd thing I've found though... I'm not a fan of sub-ohming, and I've always built my coils to about 1.8 ohms. On my old Kayfun, I would vape this at 6.3 watts, and it was perfect. The strange thing I'm noticing about the v5 is that even with 1.8 ohm coils, I need to vape it closer to 14 watts using the included mouthpiece, or 12 watts using the old mouthpiece. 6.3 watts barely produces any vapor at all using either mouthpiece. I'm not sure how to explain this discrepancy and I hope it doesn't burn out my coils more quickly, but it's definitely producing somewhat bigger clouds than before, and probably using up the liquid faster as a result.

Also, I find it very difficult to "unlock" the airflow adjustment while the tank is attached to my mod, or even when I remove it from the mod. It's most easy to unlock and adjust while disassembled. I still haven't quite figured out how to do it while it's assembled. I hope I don't run into this problem with the SXK.

So anyways, those are just the first impressions. The SXK v5 is scheduled to arrive on Thursday, and I'll post about my opinions on that as well. I'm debating whether or not I should order the O-rings tomorrow from InTaste, or if I should wait for Origin Vape to restock them. I didn't see an option on the Origin Vape page to sign up for email notifications about restocking, so I sent them an email asking to sign up for such notifications.

Once I have the O-rings, I'll make a final reply here regarding my opinions on both the Tobeco and the SXK.

Edit: Figured out how to unlock the airflow adjustment while assembled. One has to loosen the juice flow control sufficiently in order to completely lift the airflow adjustment ring. Also, make absolutely sure to completely tighten the juice flow control prior to refilling, or the juice will leak as soon as you open the top and break the pressure seal.
Thanks! Im more interested in the SXK version cause I heard its better.

• Agree
Reactions: psychonaut25

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Thanks for sharing insights. Received two Tabeco's but have not had a chance to examine and build. Still waiting to receive SXK v5 and two mini's. Faintly remember that somebody measured slight airflow difference between SXK and Tobeco. Also that you could remove piece to increase flow slightly (was this v5?). Know that placing coils too close to the airflow will restrict draw. My preferred build on v5 is 26ga titanium with 3.5mm diameter coils, rayon, and TC

• Informative
Hey there United States based folks... Origin Vape now has the O-rings back in stock. I just placed my order for them. You can find them here.

Still awaiting my SXK clone... it's out for delivery. For some reason, USPS has been delivering really late in the day lately. It's already 6:30 PM where I am. But I expect it'll arrive any minute now.

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
boston
Hey there United States based folks... Origin Vape now has the O-rings back in stock. I just placed my order for them. You can find them here.

Still awaiting my SXK clone... it's out for delivery. For some reason, USPS has been delivering really late in the day lately. It's already 6:30 PM where I am. But I expect it'll arrive any minute now.
Thanks for the heads up! Screw waiting I just made an order

Reactions: psychonaut25
Okay, the SXK has arrived! Built my usual 1.8 ohm coil and let it wick for about 8 minutes, and I've been vaping it for 15 minutes or so...

First impression was that the box, the branding, all of it looks identical to the real SvoëMesto model. The box is branded, and the sticker that I had to remove to open the box says "SvoëMesto 100% Genuine Product". I don't see an SXK logo anywhere- not on the box, nor on the tank itself. My suspicion is that SvoëMesto gave SXK license to do this. Even the product manual inside the box is a SvoëMesto manual, complete with branding and a link to the SvoëMesto website. But given that I only paid $18.99 from VapeYaya, I don't see how this could possibly be the real, SvoëMesto version.

The tank is somewhat heavier than the Tobeco, and feels sturdier. Airflow adjustment ring, and even juice flow control, feel a bit smoother to adjust.

As far as vaping it goes, I find the draw to be somewhat tighter- even on the widest airflow option, I think it's still a tad too tight, but I can live with that I suppose. I'm still having to vape my 1.8 ohm coils at about 12-14 watts. For now I've settled on 13.5 watts. No point in using my old mouthpiece, as it would only restrict the airflow even more. However, the SvoëMesto, Tobeco, and SXK Kayfun5 all have this odd mouthpiece which is stainless steel on the lower part, but has a white plastic part with threads, screwed into the top of the stainless portion. This white plastic part is the actual part that contacts the mouth. Personally, I don't like this, and I'd prefer having a solid stainless mouthpiece, so I went ahead and added a Kayfun3 mouthpiece to my order from Origin Vapes when I ordered the O-rings.

Anyways, I do find the vape to be somewhat smoother than the Tobeco. The flavor is also somewhat improved... not profoundly so, but noticeably. Honestly, my only real complaint is that the airflow is a bit too restrictive.

Also, the Tobeco clone produces somewhat larger, thicker clouds. Personally, I can do without those... I like my vape to be sufficient for throat hit and such, but otherwise discreet. I try not to attract too much attention when vaping in public. So I'm happy to have the smaller clouds, given that I find the hit is satisfying. However, to an extent, cloud size and density can be adjusted with the juice flow control ring.

I ordered two sets of the O-rings, so once those arrive, I'll be able to give my final opinion as to which clone I prefer.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot... on the Tobeco clone, after I refill it and I go to re-attach the top piece, I have to push the top down onto the tank in order for the threads to catch. This isn't the case on the SXK, I just place it gently onto the top of the tank and twist, and the threads catch easily. That's a nice, convenient little improvement!

Attachments

• 20191017_202232.jpg
    20191017_202232.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20191017_202324.jpg
    20191017_202324.jpg
    715.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20191017_202423.jpg
    20191017_202423.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 20191017_203347.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
  • Informative
If looking for a V5 clone I would try to hunt down the SMJY. By far the best. You might have to scour the classies. I got mine from 3FVape.

If anybody knows anywhere else to buy the SMJY Kayfun5 clone, if you wouldn't mind posting a link here, I'd appreciate it. I couldn't find it on 3FVape. Given that I'm no longer in a rush to get a tank that works for my needs, I'd be happy to wait for slow shipping. I've heard that the SMJY is the best clone out there, but it's hard to find.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it on 3FVape. It's out of stock, but I signed up for email notifications.

Last edited:
Reactions: muth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread