Looking for the ECig that best meets these requirments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a friend who came to me wanting advice on which ECig system he should purchase. A short while back he purchased a cheap ECig at a local tobacco shop and decided that he was fond enough of it too want a higher quality model. The reason he came to me was because he knew that sometime back I had considered buying an ECig and had done a fair amount of research on the subject; the issue is that a lot seems to have changed since the last time I investigated this topic and, furthermore, I have forgotten a lot of the information that I had acquired.

I have spent some time reviewing ECigs and reading the forum, however the subject is not a simple one and I would value some opinions from those more versed in the subject than myself. Too that end I am including some details and preferences supplied by my friend and asking for feedback.

My friend is willing to spend $150 initially and is willing to spend up too $75 a month for parts and fluid, however he would like to minimize the monthly cost if possible. He is a professional truck driver so he would like an ECig that can be used heavily while on a USB pass through. As far as form factor goes he would like an ECig with sealed, manual, batteries that does not look exactly like an analog but is not garish in appearance; furthermore, it has to be available in the color red. He would like to use a tank instead of cartridges and it is very important that the tank hold a large quantity of fluid, so that he does not have to frequently refill it while driving. Throat hit is not overly important to him, however it is important to him that the ECig produce a high volume of vapor and that it is easy to draw off of. It is also extremely important to him that the ECig be highly durable, reliable, and compatible with common replacement parts.

Are there other variables that we need to consider and most importantly which models do you feel will best meet his needs?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

HK-47

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Arizona
Hmm, as far as passthroughs go here's a cheap option to get him started. The eGo style batteries are relatively inexpensive, as are some of the accessories that work with them (which is almost everything.) Not sure if this one is available in red, but certainly other eGo batteries are red. Or there are slip covers that are all kinds of styles that work with them.

Rawr Vapor: Ego Basics Kit - eGos & Accessories - Hardware.

Advantages = easily replaceable, very customizable, can use pretty much any array of delivery device (cartomizer, tank or clearomizer), cheap. Relatively small-ish, the battery for a 900mAh is perhaps the size of a cigar.

Disadvantages = when the batteries die they have to be chucked (usually good for 250+ cycles though normally), a bit fragile perhaps so if he's a dropper he might want something sturdier.

I'm not aware of other passthrough compatible devices that don't look like cigarette style, but the beefier mods use replaceable batteries.

Some of those mods that use the 18650 batteries boast a significant battery life (24+ hours in some cases) and you can just change out the batteries when it's getting low. Some of them are built like tanks, especially the mechanical ones such as the Silver Bullet or the Omega or the Bolt. They're simple, sturdy, but require a bit of homework to set up properly.

Variable Voltage Gripper Rawr Vapor: The VV Gripper - Mods - Hardware

Silver Bullet AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | Silver Bullet - Silver Bullet - Starter Kits

Omega AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | Omega v1.1 - OmeGa - Starter Kits

These are just suggestions, I HIGHLY recommend shopping around some for a better price. Altsmoke is a reputable dealer recommended by many long time members of ECF. These are just links to give you an idea what some of these things look like.

Advantages of Mechanical APV (advanced personal vaporizers): MUCH more customization of your vape. They're often built rather solidly and quite resistant to dropping or other abuse, battery life is quite long and batteries are interchangeable so you don't have to buy new units, just new batteries. Most are 510 threaded which makes them work with a large majority of gear but not all. Things they are not compatible with often work with an adapter piece, which are usually cheap.

Adv/Disadvantage: Size is usually larger. This can be a plus or minus depending on preference. Most are tube-style basically around the thickness of a medium sized flashlight in girth.

Disadvantages: Require a bit more homework to learn what works well with them, they do weigh more and that has a consideration while driving. May not be able to find a charger for the batteries that works with the car adapter. I dont know without looking.

Variable Voltage/Variable Wattage Mods:
Advantages: You can control your vape to a pretty high degree, adjusting to juice and delivery system used. Has an interface system of some type, ranging from one button to 3 or more to change settings. Often allows you to see your battery charge remaining on most mods. Most are built pretty solidly like the mechanical mods (often out of aircraft aluminum or other higher quality metals).

Disadvantages: Trying to change settings while driving could be...problematic. Many of them require multiple button presses to access different menus to change settings, and that would be eye time off the road. The screens are small (usually) so seeing them while trying to keep one eye on the road might be an issue. Slightly more fragile than mechanicals, due to the extra electronics. Units at the top end such as the ProVari are quite durable, though.

Examples of VV/VW mods:

ProVari ProVari Variable Voltage Ecig: Best Variable Voltage E Cig Available!. The ProVari is generally considered one of the best mods on the market. It would exceed your friend's initial starter budget but does have a passthrough option. I believe it's one of the only VV/VW mods out there that has pass-through.

The Sigelei ZMax Sigelei ZMax Variable Watts Ecig Mod

The VAMO Stainless Steel Vamo

The Tesla tesla
He will want to have spares of several things no matter the system used.

As for the delivery system, tanks would probably be the best way to go since they 1) hold more liquid 2) are often position independent. Clearomizers in some cases can leak if left tilted down for a while, this is less of a problem with tanks if they have good seals and such.

If he decides on tanks (which is a good choice, for sure) there is a bit of information he'll need to learn about how to use them properly and maintain them. Easily found on this forum several people have guides in their sigs. Baditude will probably chip in with his own suggestions and he has WAY more knowledge than I do. Highly recommend following Bad's advice.

Last edited:

HK-47

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Arizona
I forgot to mention that the eGo style of batteries are relatively slim so if he got a big tank (like 6mL) then it would look significantly thicker on that battery than it would on a larger unit such as the other ones I gave you links of. There are smaller tanks that hold 1.5mL to 3mL that should look just fine for the most part on an eGo battery.

This is only if aesthetics are a consideration. Almost any tank with 510 threading should work on an eGo if I'm not mistaken. Some tanks will require an adapter to work with mods, if the tank is threaded for eGo batteries.

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
I think an eGo with a few 2 or 3 ml vivi tanks are exactly what he is looking for. You can bypass the passthrough by having 2 batteries and have one charge on the cig lighter while he vapes on the other. Switch as they die. If he bought 1100's they would last for hours anyway.

3 nova tanks and 2 Ego 1100's would last more then a day on the road if he charged one and used the other while driving.

Edit: This is all assuming he vapes constantly and never sets it down.

I'm not sure if it comes in red, but I've been using an eGo VV or Super eGo. It vapes quite nicely and a charge lasts about 200 fairly heavy puffs. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but it does have a USB passthrough with micro USB adapter which makes it perfect for vaping and driving while charging! It was super cheap too, 40 bucks for the battery at Vapor Labs, 10 bucks for a 3.5ml tank and 10 bucks for cartos and a drip tip. I've seen larger tanks used on the same model too, but make sure to get the proper cone spacer for the tank. 20130315_233037.jpg

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Wow - are you in for a lot of opinions coming.

I can see why he wants to use a passthrough. My concerns there are the cable connection to these types of setups isn't exactly known for being robust. It's one thing to be using a passthrough at a work desk and just set it down. It might be another if it keeps getting tossed on a seat, falls on the floor etc. Jostling the passthrough connector a lot... not good. That comes down to how he deals with stuff in general, the truck cab setup, if there is a consistent and safe place he can park this thing while in use. Stuff like that he needs to consider.

But if it comes down to keeping it simple, then either an eGo passthrough - or non passthrough - is a good starting place. As long as he can plug in a USB charger in the truck cab he can either do passthrough, or just keep a second battery on the charger while one is in use. (Passthrough or not he needs 2 batteries minimum.) The higher capacity eGo's should give him 8+ hours run time. The Twist versions of eGo's will give him basic variable voltage. Since that's available in eGo now, it's better to just skip straight to the Twist models and have the flexibility that vv offers.

And yes- you can get them in red.

Again - tanks - lot of opinions. I like the bottom coil clearomizers - the Tabac BCC aka Kanger T3. They work far better than any clearo with a top mounted coil. He won't have to think about tipping it up or rotating it around to get liquid to the coil while driving. They come in 3.6 ml capacity and that amount should easily get him through an entire day before it needs a refill. Futz factor? If it stops vaping great all he has to do is unscrew the old base (coil), screw on a new one... that's it. You can almost do it with one hand. I'm into week 3 on a Tabac BCC clearo and it's still working.

And entire setup - 2 eGo Twists or passthroughs, charger if needed, and 5 pack of clearos... about 80 bucks there. Liquids? Entirely up to him on how much he wants to spend for openers. But for those first liquids stick to small sample sizes in 3 different nic levels to sort out flavor likes and dislikes and to find out what nic level he needs. After that start buying larger size liquids.

:2c:

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
Wow - are you in for a lot of opinions coming.

I can see why he wants to use a passthrough. My concerns there are the cable connection to these types of setups isn't exactly known for being robust. It's one thing to be using a passthrough at a work desk and just set it down. It might be another if it keeps getting tossed on a seat, falls on the floor etc. Jostling the passthrough connector a lot... not good. That comes down to how he deals with stuff in general, the truck cab setup, if there is a consistent and safe place he can park this thing while in use. Stuff like that he needs to consider.

But if it comes down to keeping it simple, then either an eGo passthrough - or non passthrough - is a good starting place. As long as he can plug in a USB charger in the truck cab he can either do passthrough, or just keep a second battery on the charger while one is in use. (Passthrough or not he needs 2 batteries minimum.) The higher capacity eGo's should give him 8+ hours run time. The Twist versions of eGo's will give him basic variable voltage. Since that's available in eGo now, it's better to just skip straight to the Twist models and have the flexibility that vv offers.

And yes- you can get them in red.

Again - tanks - lot of opinions. I like the bottom coil clearomizers - the Tabac BCC aka Kanger T3. They work far better than any clearo with a top mounted coil. He won't have to think about tipping it up or rotating it around to get liquid to the coil while driving. They come in 3.6 ml capacity and that amount should easily get him through an entire day before it needs a refill. Futz factor? If it stops vaping great all he has to do is unscrew the old base (coil), screw on a new one... that's it. You can almost do it with one hand. I'm into week 3 on a Tabac BCC clearo and it's still working.

And entire setup - 2 eGo Twists or passthroughs, charger if needed, and 5 pack of clearos... about 80 bucks there. Liquids? Entirely up to him on how much he wants to spend for openers. But for those first liquids stick to small sample sizes in 3 different nic levels to sort out flavor likes and dislikes and to find out what nic level he needs. After that start buying larger size liquids.

:2c:

All of those options for him come in for way less then the initial budget that was presented (unless he goes crazy on the juice) and fill every requirement he had. If this doesn't work nothing will. It seems simple to me now, but 6 weeks ago it was very overwhelming to me also.

So it's up to him at this point I think.

All of those options for him come in for way less then the initial budget that was presented (unless he goes crazy on the juice) and fill every requirement he had. If this doesn't work nothing will. It seems simple to me now, but 6 weeks ago it was very overwhelming to me also.

So it's up to him at this point I think.

I would also agree with this. The kit I got came with 2 ego twists, charger and 7 different clearomizers. I'm pretty consistently using the Kanger t3 because it's so easy (no tilting... don't even have to think about it). I've tried some of the other ones but they are all top coil, and I hate having to remember to tip them when they start to get low (usually it's the burnt taste/no vapor that reminds me). The other thing is once your juice gets low enough... tipping is a slow process for the thick juice so to switch flavors I'm always emptying juice out. With the t3 you can get it down to the very last drop without even thinking about it. I also like the look of the t3 better and have found them in several colors. I'll be ordering more of them! The ego twists (1000mAh) are lasting me a full day of vaping and the batteries charge pretty quickly with the "rapid charger". So absolutely no down time, I just switch out the batteries on the charger as they die (once a day). I'm very new to this though! :)

Last edited:

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Red Reo Grand + power converter in truck + charger + 3-5 batteries + standard 510 low resistance cartomizers = win.

It might not be his style but it's worth looking into. It's going to get really cheap after the initial investment and it is less likely to die mid haul and leave him stranded.

Sent from my Nexus 4

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Innokin MVP if he's interested in a boxy shape. Pass thru capable. 2600 mAh rating. Comes in red. All metal, solid build, VV.

Add a 5 ml carto tank - I'd suggest a locking style to prevent spills while driving.

Of course, a large carto tank will go on just about anything other than a 510! (Well, it will go on a 510, but the small battery won't have enough power to run it...)

singu

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
Croatia-Zagreb
I would suggest a bottom feeder...VMOD XL or Reo Grand...if he is ok with box shape. The reason i would suggest that is that he gets a 6ml bottle that would last him a day or two (if he is heavy smoker/vaper) and battery that comes with the two units is 18650 ( also 1 or 2 days of use )... I personally own a VMOD XL and i'm very happy with it...no leaks, great flavor and basically a great set-and-forget system.

Good luck to you and your friend. Vape on! :vapor:

charmschool

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
North Georgia
So true...............+1 Provari
+2 on the Provari, but it doesn't come in red....oh wait, there's a wrap for that! (snicker, I made a pun) However, adding a passthrough is gonna take dude up to $300 or more (he'll also want regular batteries & a charger) just for power, so I'd recommend it as his first & only upgrade. For his intial budget, go with 3 or 4 1000 to 1300mah eGo twists or vision spinners (both come in red), the car charger & spend the rest on juice delivery & sample juices. Once he gets settled in with the delivery system & juice flavor, keeping monthly expense below $75 will be easy. It' the learning curve that can get expensive....

KLongoria89

Mar 9, 2013
SA,Tx
I would also agree with this. The kit I got came with 2 ego twists, charger and 7 different clearomizers. I'm pretty consistently using the Kanger t3 because it's so easy (no tilting... don't even have to think about it). I've tried some of the other ones but they are all top coil, and I hate having to remember to tip them when they start to get low (usually it's the burnt taste/no vapor that reminds me). The other thing is once your juice gets low enough... tipping is a slow process for the thick juice so to switch flavors I'm always emptying juice out. With the t3 you can get it down to the very last drop without even thinking about it. I also like the look of the t3 better and have found them in several colors. I'll be ordering more of them! The ego twists (1000mAh) are lasting me a full day of vaping and the batteries charge pretty quickly with the "rapid charger". So absolutely no down time, I just switch out the batteries on the charger as they die (once a day). I'm very new to this though! :)

Where did you purchase this kit if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking everywhere for the past week or so, and everything is sold out :(

Thanks!

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Where did you purchase this kit if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking everywhere for the past week or so, and everything is sold out :(

Thanks!

CanVape has the kit but I think they only ship in Canada. Here is a link so you can see what a complete beginners kit should contain.

Ultimate Genuine Joyetech eGo-C Twist Starter Kit & 3X10ml bottles of e-liquid.

As Roni_M mentioned, the t3 is her favorite. She knows this because she was able to try 6 others without making repeated orders to try something that someone else claims works Great. They all work Great, for someone! Lol We each have to find what works best for us.

Relax, Enjoy!

POPADAWG

Feb 24, 2013
Poland,Ohio
He should look at smokeless image. My best starter kit was the Volt because it was inexpensive and a quality product. In addition to the basic starter kits they offer a complete line of tanks and liquids. Most recently i have aquired an x2 Volt battery this will give you six hours when fully charged and can be used as a pass thu and charge while you are vaping. I have been happy with their products and get quick shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread