i have tried
atomizers
cartos
Carto tanks.
kanger t3, kanger t4,
vision ce4 v2
vivi nova

Want to go for my first RBA
looking at the zap.. Do not want carto tanks and hate dripping.
just want one device where I do not have to buy replacements for ( except for wicks)
i want one that has a clear tank so ican see how much liquid is left.

Is zap the best? Is there anything comparable that is a little cheaper but still high quality and easy to wick ?

Beretta

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
Mars
ZAP is the best for the ProVari. The Z-Atty-Pro is specifically built for the ProVari, and sits very nicely on top as a result. Once you buy the unit, you will have a learning curve to get through BEFORE you can use it properly. Watch the video on the ZAP page on provape.com BEFORE you purchase it. If it's something you think you can do, then buy it. If not, it's a waste of money.

The only consumables for the ZAP, to my knowledge, is the metal mesh preoxidized wick and wire. I have yet to find where these can be purchased, but Provape.com SHOULD have these consumables.

I am in the same boat and mindset as you. I'm looking for the end of purchasing, and the ProVari and ZAP is it.

There are other good tanks out there, but they either use disposable cartomizers, or are cheap chinese knock offs of the ZAP. Some others use standard silica rope wicks, which is a cheaper alternative to the ZAP. I have no experience with any of these yet, including the ZAP. I've only watched Zen's instructional video on Provapes product page of the ZAP, plus Pbusardo's review of the ZAP.

Get the ZAP!

Bob57

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Indiana
For the money the AGA t + is pretty nice ,all stainless with glass tank even has extra parts.
I like it better then my Did clone with glass except for the weight.

Magikhat,,
It's all about the wick and wrapping the wire, all Ginny type RBA's pretty much work the same.
There is a learning curve, you see everyone say try the cheaper one first to see if RBA's are for you, then get the top shelf if you still want it. It's better to try an RBA in the $20-$30 range then if you dont like it your not out $150+
You will still use the AGA or dUd or what ever even if you get a high $ RBA.

:2c:

;)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
the zap is just a genesis RBA that looks pretty with the provari. it is not the end all, be all of genesis styles. there are several cheap ones that work fine and there is quite a list of top shelf ones as well. they all do the same thing it all comes down to quality of build and craftsmanship.
i wanted i zap for a long time but started buying others while i waited and waited, and now except for the hybrid look i think the zap is a bit outdated. as they now have the provari hippo and just about any geni will look nice with a PV and several are now being made at 20mm to fit the topcap and look clean fitting.

JazzyTech

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
California
I started out rebuilding my Novas, minis, CE3-5s and eventually came to the same desire: find a good, reliable, not to difficult RBA. I stepped up to the 'Hyper SRT II" which turned out to be a mostly renamed version of the Smoktech "R" tank. Both the SRT and the R were pretty easy to rebuild; easier than the Novas. There was a slight learning curve involved; nothing much though. The SRT II fell apart after 14 days of use. My "R" is still working great after 3 months.

Thinking I wanted something more reliable, and a so-called "true" RBA, I moved on the a slightly more expensive AGA-Tiamat and AGA-Hydra. They both performed well; took some time to find the best postioning of the coil and wraps to get a good vape. But one thing I didn't think of ruined it for me; the vape temp. The AGAs have the air intake on the cap which makes for a colder vape compared to the vivis, SRTs and R tanks. They vape great, but not for me.

After my experiences with the AGAs, I felt I had enough know-how to attempt a more advanced RBA. I knew I wanted a build that had the air intake at the bottom of the RBA to get that warmer air flow. I settled on an Odysseus. Little did I know at the time that the "Ody" was no longer being manufactured. I eventually found a Chinese clone called the Terminator. It has all the quirks of the original Odyseus, but at a 3rd of the cost. It's the best vape I've experienced to date. But.. I have to deal with non-resistance wire and it takes longer to rewick and coil than most other RBAs.

Now that I look back to when I had considered buying a ZattyPro, I'm so happy I didn't. I would have wasted a lot more money than I have so far. I'm not knocking the ZAP; I'm just saying research is definitely a must :)

Last edited:

Magikhat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
www.flavorplace.com
It sounds like you spent around or more than the zap costs.. When you could have just bought the zap.. Obviously you found 1 or more flaws in each one you bought and that caused you to buy another one? I think I am holding out on the zap cause it fits on the provari so well. It will be nice to have a seamless look.

JazzyTech

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
California
yeah, close. about 185. But the Zap is employs a cap air intake like an AGA, correct? And yes, none of them fit the Provari like a zap! that's for sure! Looks are not a factor. I don't care how it looks, just how it performs :) Hence the research comment. "Different strokes for different folks" :)

All my vivis still get use, as well as the "R". The Terminator's a tank. I can vape it upside down, laying on the couch, however... something I can't do so easily with the AGAs. They all have their pros and cons.

Last edited:

JazzyTech

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
California
Since you already got the prov. you might as well get a zap.That way you'll have 2 overpriced outdated devices.The good news is you shouldn't ever have to buy anything again except juice and batts.I only say this because I've been there and done that but at least I've learned.

By all means, educate me. Which device would you recommend that I haven't tried that isn't outdated?

Nevermind, I see you're answering the original poster. ;) ProVape envy all around! :) When everyone stops using the Provari as the unit that all other PVs are measured against, then it will be outdated. imo

Last edited:

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
I don't mind being out $150 for the best vape ever..which is what the zap is offering.

True - BUT only if you've set it up correctly. Just getting the zap would not automatically give you the best vape ever.

Everybody is different and depending on what your expectations are, the zap is just a part of the equation.

There are many variables when setting one up. You can tell by the hundreds of tweaks and tips people here post to help people with problems finding their sweet spot.

- insulator/ no insulator (not recommmended by zen)
- wicks - size, tight/loose, hole/no hole, oxidize/non oxidize, ceramic, etc
- ss mesh - 400/500/625/etc
- wire - 32,28,etc, twisted
- juice (some say that genesis' are not so good with certain juices)

I think it boils down to the amount of effort you want to put in to find your perfect vape. The zap is capable of doing that - some people try maybe 3-4 times and just give up.

I could always try it and if I don't like it I could sell it and get most of my money back.
Buzz saw do you love your zap?

With the zap becoming more available, take a look at the classies and see how much they are going for. If you are going to loose around $20-$30 when selling, you might consider getting the AGA-T2 which people here recommended.

I have a zap for 3 weeks now and I'm still tweaking my set up. Before that, I got a really, really cheap ($11) did clone to play with. That is now in the garbage (threads stripped, delrin insulator mangled) - you do get what you pay for but the AGA-T looks to be a good compromise and I'm getting one soon.

Lastly, keep your drip set up. Use it as a baseline in for comparing flavour.

Buzzsaw46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
SE MN United States
I would say I like the ZAP, the flavor seems a bit muted. My DUD has much more intense flavor with the same juices. I also like that the DUD top cap threads on so I don't worry about it falling off. I really do question weather or not the ZAP was worth the price. I'm now tempted by the AGA T+ and the Terminator.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i think when it was introduced it was worth it because now you could have the famous Zen Atty hybrid with VV. in the meantime and all the delays many more players have hit the field.
i think the zap or z atty would be back on top with a few upgrades - 2 orings to keep the top on, i know my cobra top needs a freaking channel lock to get it off when the rings are dry. change the hex bolts to thumbscrews and add more holes in the deck for more options.
but even then with a provari hippo or one of the other mod tops you can have the one piece look with the other atty's

i wanted a zap for so long but for all the waiting i got a cobra and a DID now im only looking at the foggatti an the somnium. and each generation keeps getting more and more refined. leaving the zap to just be a show piece.

Last edited:

Magikhat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
www.flavorplace.com
The zap is beautiful but now you got me thinking more clearly. The aga-t2 looks similar to the ZAP and it is $130 less.
Does not have the seamless fit on the provari but now I'm thinking it is not worth the extra costs.
Are there any know issues with the aga-t2? Is it as easy as the zap to setup?

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
If you like the seamless look, you could get the 'transform' pack or something similar. (Haven't really kept up but I think there's a similar ring offered by ukvapes)

As for the AGA-T2, I don't have one yet. But from what I've heard, they fixed most of the problems of the original one - option for glass tank, wick closer to centre post, all stainless steel, o-ring instead of thread, ?? Just make sure you get the new version (no knurling).

show_image_in_imgtag.php

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
yea thats the hippo in that picture, im waiting for stock to come in now. makes just about anything look good on a provari and has air control.
while i still say if you like geni's get a nice one down the road it is worth the investment, but i would def start with a cheaper one to see if its something you like first.

i dont know squat about the aga, all i got are DID's and cobra's but there are several threads about them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread