Looking for the illusive Clove recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
So.. I love clove flavor. I'm not looking to replicate Dijarum or anything, but just want that great clove kick with the slight or moderate numbing sensation. I've ordered from PinkSpot a few times, and love their clove, but I'm a DIY guy, and frankly PS is just too expensive to do an ADV. I think P.S. lists it under their tobacco flavors, but I honestly don't taste any tobacco in theirs.. it may just be very suttle, and I'm ok with that, although most of my DIY tobaccos have tasted like chemical soup with weeds mixed in.

So, I'm putting in an order from LA for the clove oil and anise.. I've read to use clove and anise at a 75/25 ratio, but wanted to get feedback, input, and suggestions with how to make a successful batch without too much experimenting and waste.

Thanks!

james chapman

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Kerrville Texas
I smoked clove cigs,in the 80s,so this is a favorite of mine. I also like to chew on the clove pegs,you stick in ham. I DIY the clove from Mt.Baker and am very satisfied with it. I have thought of doing clove/cinnamon and clove/USA blend. The MBV is not a sweet clove,but a few drops of sweetener could remedy that. The anise and clove sounds good. I love Anise and Absinthe,there were Absinthe bars in Barcelona,during the 80s. On the clove I make,at 50/50,18m nic,I use 5 ml of 50/50 and 1.25ml of flavoring,as I like it strong.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
I smoked clove cigs,in the 80s,so this is a favorite of mine. I also like to chew on the clove pegs,you stick in ham. I DIY the clove from Mt.Baker and am very satisfied with it. I have thought of doing clove/cinnamon and clove/USA blend. The MBV is not a sweet clove,but a few drops of sweetener could remedy that. The anise and clove sounds good. I love Anise and Absinthe,there were Absinthe bars in Barcelona,during the 80s. On the clove I make,at 50/50,18m nic,I use 5 ml of 50/50 and 1.25ml of flavoring,as I like it strong.

Whoa, that's over 20% flavoring! Seems strong for clove (or not strong enough concentrate?) Does the MBV give the numbing effect?

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
I believe Mt Baker uses Flavor West flavorings, which are relatively weak, which is why you use so much. However, they seem to be rather good. I've tried only a handful of Mt Baker flavors but both me and my dad like them, which says a lot because he doesn't like anything and the ones I tried had NIC in it (which I dont use) and I still liked them.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
Well so far my only experience is with Pink Spot and The "signature" clove concentrate from ecigexpress.

The pink spot is so strong, I actually dilute it with base by half, but even then, it's still super-expensive, but very tasty and has a great numbing effect on the tongue.. It's not perfect though, it's got a good strong clove flavor, but no smoky tobacco tones at all, even though it's categorized under their tobacco section. All in all, I'd love to know where they buy their concentrates from, but I doubt they would reveal that openly.

The ecigexpress clove is ... mediocre, if not "meh".. It's not very strong, and lacks robustness.. but I'm vaping it.. until my next order arrives from Lor Ann.. I'm really excited to try their clove, and also looking forward to playing with the anise.

I'm surprised there's not more DIY'ers chiming in here, I thought clove was like the holy grail in DIY flavors :)

I'd love to hear from anyone about their clove mixes, especially reviews on concentrates from various vendors/manufacturers

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
To us:

--TFA's Pumpkin Pie Spice is primarily clove (the Holiday Spice is primarily nutmeg)
--FA's Clove? ARGGGH - we ruined a perfectly good 30ml of juice by using it in something before testing it (duh us for assuming FA could get clove right)...I wouldn't have known it had clove in it by smelling or tasting it (and the chemical overtones were STRONG).
--TFA's Clove - haven't tried it yet, but it smells just like our jar of cloves for cooking

Go easy on the oils! 'Looking forward to seeing your recipes!

Last edited:

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
To us:

--TFA's Pumpkin Pie Spice is primarily clove (the Holiday Spice is primarily nutmeg)
--FA's Clove? ARGGGH - we ruined a perfectly good 30ml of juice by using it in something before testing it (duh us for assuming FA could get clove right)...I wouldn't have known it had clove in it by smelling or tasting it (and the chemical overtones were STRONG).
--TFA's Clove - haven't tried it yet, but it smells just like our jar of cloves for cooking

Someone forewarned me about the FA Clove, I almost got some. So who has the best Clove Flavor?

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
To us:

The pumpkin spice flavoring from MtBaker is also primarily clove. I personally find it strong but I've never smoked clove cigarettes. I tried the pumpkin spice at 5% (.5mL in 9.5mL base) and found it way too strong. Added .5mL cheesecake - still strong. Added .5mL sweet cream - not bad at all. YMMV.

Dave Kzoo

Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I see this is an older thread, but I just wanted to add that I tried TFA's Eugenol at 4% mixed with a small amount of my own tobacco mix and I got a numbing effect. I believe that It may actually be too much flavor. I am going to try my next batch with about 1% Eugenol and work my way up if needed. Eugenol is definitely the trick for clove...how much is the question.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Am currently vaping what I estimate to be 5-10% TFA clove and 2-4% TFA cinn. spice in all-VG nic-free mix. (Sorry the estimates are a bit fuzzy, YMMV). Using a vivi nova w/ a 2.4 ohm (commercial) coil on a vision spinner (obviously an EGO battery) set to 3.7v.

Lots of clove and cinnamon flavor, plus I'm noticing some mild psychoactive effects due to the eugenol. In fact, I thought I was vaping my unflavored 1% nic, but then I looked at my PV and suddenly noticed that it was my glass vivi.

Once the VG gets nicely steeped in there, the vapor production is incredible, as is the flavor. If I ever had to give up vaping nic (I don't smoke), this might be the way to to it. That said, I'm not sure I want to inhale eugenol too deeply.

Might be nice with some TFA mandarin orange - although it does burn hot, and the orange wouldn't "like" that much. Maybe lime would be interesting. All sorts of possiblities here, really. This is my "first time" with both the clove and the cinnamon, so my mind is wandering. (What would koolada be like??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread