Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I absolutely love my 24 mm Goon RDA, and I haven't seen a single review where someone did not like it. Most give it high praise, and it is by far the best RDA of those near its price point of $60. I only use RDA's at the moment, and despite having several awesome RDA's, my Goon gets used probably 90% of the time. It's that good.

Here is my review of the 24 mm Goon (since a 22 mm version was just released, I now have to say "24 mm Goon" when talking about it). Because of the extra width compared to my other RDA's, I've settled on 3.5 mm coils when using the 24 mm Goon, not the 3 mm coils I described in my review. The larger diameter coil means you need to use a larger (thicker) wick, which is able to deliver juice to the coils more quickly compared to smaller diameter coils.

______________________________________________________________________​

The build quality, fit, and finish of the Goon RDA are all excellent, with sharp engraving and clean machining. It arrived absolutely spotless without even a hint of machine oil.

The deck is just stupidly easy to build on, since you don't have to worry about your coils being the right width to fit into post holes. Wire thickness doesn't matter either -- the clamps will solidly hold anything that will fit between them. I tried feeding through a single strand of 30 gauge wire to simulate a thin gauge single coil and two strands of twisted 22 gauge wire to simulate a thick dual coil, and both were held quite securely. The posts have a beveled edge, so you don't even have to lift up the loosened clamps to mount your coils, just shove the wire in and the clamps will raise themselves. Little touches like this show that a lot of thought went into the design of this RDA.

My standard go-to build is a 9 or 10 wrap, 3 mm diameter, 24 gauge dual coil which metered out at around 0.4 ohms. It's nothing fancy, but it works great at 75 watts. The Goon was my first 24 mm RDA (all my others are 22 mm), and I was concerned that flavor would be diminished by the larger diameter chamber, but I am glad that those concerns were unwarranted. Even with the airflow wide open, which is a looser draw than I prefer, flavor is still quite good. Two holes open on each side is where I like it, and flavor there is excellent. Vapor production is also excellent -- even with my simple and plain 24 gauge build, I'm getting copious and dense clouds.

The juice well is the perfect depth for me at around 5 mm. I don't like super deep decks, and get better results with a relatively shallow well which doesn't need long wick tails to reach the bottom. For example, the drip well on my Wotofo Lush is too deep in my opinion, and while overall it is still a good RDA, I always found myself gravitating towards my CLT V3 Mini and my Bambino, since they have shallower wells (but are still able to hold enough juice that I'm not re-dripping every 5 pulls).

And despite not having a super deep well, the extra 2 mm diameter on the Goon means it can hold quite a large amount of juice -- I just re-dripped and even though the wick was still mostly saturated, it took more than 40 drops to fill. That is twice what most of my 22 mm RDA's will hold. Even my Lush, with its much deeper well, can only hold around 25 drops with an already saturated wick. And the fit on the o-rings holding the airflow control / top cap are just a bit looser than the o-rings holding the barrel to the deck (and the drip tip to the top cap), so when you go to re-drip, you can just grab the drip tip and pull, and the top cap will come off without pulling the barrel up along with it. That's another one of those little touches that make me smile, like the beveled edges on the posts.

Overall, I am seriously impressed with this RDA. It is super easy to build on. You can use pretty much any build you want, from single coils with very thin wire, all the way to exotic dual and quad coil builds with ridiculously thick wire, and the Goon will clamp it down solid. Vapor production and flavor are both excellent. And it can hold a very large amount of juice. After several weeks of nearly constant use, I honestly cannot find any fault, flaw, or issue with this thing. At $60 the Goon is an incredible value, and I highly recommend this RDA. I also love that it is made by a company right here in my home state of New Jersey. It really is a game-changer, something that right now makes me both very happy and very sad, since if we can't defeat the new FDA regulations, innovations like this will no longer be possible.

Reactions: gotch23

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm a big fan of my Velocity clone by Velocity RDA Clone by Tobeco $17
An inexpensive first RDA with two posts for single, dual, or quad coils. Huge deep drip well, spacey build deck, large holes in posts to fit wires in, excellent airflow options.

IMG_3223_91700_1__90779.1439941053.1280.1280.png

IMG_3225__13238.1434076749.1280.1280.png

sSwlPf9.jpg

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I'm a big fan of my Velocity clone by Velocity RDA Clone by Tobeco $17
An inexpensive first RDA with two posts for single, dual, or quad coils. Huge deep drip well, spacey build deck, large holes in posts to fit wires in, excellent airflow options.

The Velocity is definitely a great RDA, and Tobeco makes a great clone of it, but in my opinion it isn't the best choice for a beginner because of how deep the drip well is. When you have wick tails that need to reach a far way to touch the bottom of the well, your wicking technique must be spot on, because the juice needs to travel a long way before even getting to the coil.

It's been a while since I saw a Velocity up close -- how deep is that drip well? I remember it looking around 8 mm deep, but maybe I'm a bit off on my estimate.

For a beginner, I think a moderately deep juice well (5 mm or thereabouts) is the best bet. My Wotofo Lush has about an 8 mm well, and while it is definitely fairly high on my list of favorite RDA's, it is much more sensitive to wicking that my drippers with shallower wells. And the same goes with the other RDA's I own which have a really deep well. Obviously, you don't want a super shallow well or else you'll be re-dripping every three pulls, but anything with at least a ~4 mm well should last a decent number of pulls before you need to add more juice.

And if you go for a 24 mm RDA (which will fit without any overhang on the RX200 the original poster is using), what seems like a fairly shallow well can hold a surprising amount of juice. As I mentioned in my 24 mm Goon review that I copied and pasted above, despite having a relatively shallow 5 mm drip well, it holds far more juice than my Lush or Holmes V2, both of which have much deeper wells. That extra 2 mm diameter really makes a big difference when it comes to juice capacity, which makes sense when you think about it -- the area of a 24 mm circle is quite a bit more than a 22 mm circle, because you are adding a 2 mm "donut" all the way around the outside edge.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Really? From what I remember about it, and checking out photos, it sure looks to be a lot deeper than 6 mm. But if it is 6 mm, then I retract my opinion on it not being a good choice for a beginner.
I don't know about the authentic version, but Tobecco's clone is 6mm. Check the link that I posted in my first post. It's listed in the spec sheet.

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've been running an avocado 24 lately when I'm going to be driving around for awhile.

20160918_113339_zpsa1kon5wp.jpg

Yes, my rx200 is a beater mod and has the battle scars to prove it. Eventually, it'll be all grey if it doesn't die first. Haha
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Steven070

Steven070

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2015
I've been running an avocado 24 lately when I'm going to be driving around for awhile.

20160918_113339_zpsa1kon5wp.jpg

Yes, my rx200 is a beater mod and has the battle scars to prove it. Eventually, it'll be all grey if it doesn't die first. Haha
Your RX looks nice this way :D

For less than 8 bucks you can buy new panels from Chin to make it look fresh and new

Reactions: Brandon David

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Your RX looks nice this way :D

For less than 8 bucks you can buy new panels from Chin to make it look fresh and new
I don't mind it a bit. Frankly, I'm surprised it still works as many times as it's hit the tarmac at work. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread