Looking to buy my first mech mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amielzzz

May 1, 2018
Hi guys ive been vaping for the past 5monrhs and ive been using rda with a box mod, and it starts to feel a little bit clumsy and uncomfortable to use it daily, for instance going out it to places, thats a bit annoying
So i figured i might start using mech mod ive been looking on those since i start vaping and i want to get my hands on the first one
So what there is in the market in terms of safety that costs more or less 30$ (i can only use fasttech) btw i read tons of information about building battery safety and how to treaylt in general a mech mod.
Thanks!

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well, there are two issues. One is pretty easy. If you're going to use a mech, get one with a 510 connector rather than a faux hybrid. Make sure you are using genuine Samsung /Sony/ LG batteries with a CDR appropriate to your builds. Always double check your calculations to assure your build is within the range of your battery, and always double check the actual resistance of the build yourself with either an ohm meter or mod that will display the resistance before use.

The second question is what feels awkward and clumsy with the current box mod? Is the mod too big to carry in your pocket or is it all the dripping in public? If you want to avoid an rda in public, a mech won't solve your problems. If you just want something smaller there are plenty of inexpensive regulated mods you can find that are within your price range as well.

Amielzzz

May 1, 2018
Well, there are two issues. One is pretty easy. If you're going to use a mech, get one with a 510 connector rather than a faux hybrid. Make sure you are using genuine Samsung /Sony/ LG batteries with a CDR appropriate to your builds. Always double check your calculations to assure your build is within the range of your battery, and always double check the actual resistance of the build yourself with either an ohm meter or mod that will display the resistance before use.

The second question is what feels awkward and clumsy with the current box mod? Is the mod too big to carry in your pocket or is it all the dripping in public? If you want to avoid an rda in public, a mech won't solve your problems. If you just want something smaller there are plenty of inexpensive regulated mods you can find that are within your price range as well.
The box itself starts to be annoying... Not the juice

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Then there are endless mechs you can find in that price range. For me looking at an inexpensive mech such as a quality Nemesis clone (I like the EHPro clones) are tough to beat and are very affordable. I'm not a big mech user but there are lots of folks around here who are and can weigh in with suggestions for specific mechs to look at.

Amielzzz

May 1, 2018
Then there are endless mechs you can find in that price range. For me looking at an inexpensive mech such as a quality Nemesis clone (I like the EHPro clones) are tough to beat and are very affordable. I'm not a big mech user but there are lots of folks around here who are and can weigh in with suggestions for specific mechs to look at.
I saw authentic at 20$ (armor ehpro) that one you meant? And basically i can pick any mech as long as it got battery vents?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Is that the armor ehpro on Fasttech for $21.75? Looks nice. 20700 option for a battery is also nice. Obviously I don't have it so I can't speak to build quality etc., but it looks nice and something I'd consider for myself.

I think your best bet is to head over to the mech mod subforum here. There you can get individual opinions on specific models. It's under the APV and mods forum

Reactions: stols001

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Single battery mechs have some ergonomic benefits over a regulated box, but they certainly are not more convenient. They require a higher level of maintenance, are less flexible and require a much higher level of knowledge to run effectively and safely.

I can recommend a Stingray X if you do decide to get one, they can be picked from Fasttech for under $
$30

I strongly recommend you have a read through the links below, no matter how much you think you know.

(8) A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod | E-Cigarette Forum

(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum

(16) Explain it for the dumb noob: Ohm's Law calculations for a Mechanical Mod. | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The box itself starts to be annoying.
Curious, how does the box itself become annoying? Can you be more specific? Would it be the form factor (box), and you think a tube would be more comfortable to use? If that is the case, there are several regulated "box" mods that are more slim and shaped nearly like a tube.
JAC Vapor series B DNA75W

images

Amielzzz

May 1, 2018
Curious, how does the box itself become annoying? Can you be more specific? Would it be the form factor (box), and you think a tube would be more comfortable to use? If that is the case, there are several regulated "box" mods that are more slim and shaped nearly like a tube.
JAC Vapor series B DNA75W

images
The form itself annoying and i tried one luke this it feels a little bit weird

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The form itself annoying and i tried one like this it feels a little bit weird
Fair enough. Personally, I find most mech mods annoying because most of them have the fire button at the bottom end of the tube. That's always been awkward to me. I mean, all regulated mods have the fire button on the side and upper end of the mod (box or tube), that's more natural.

The tube mech I most used (when I used one) had a recessed side fire button on the upper end of the tube that was very easy and comfortable to use.

full

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have an Armor Ephro and I like it, kind of a mech with training wheels. There are certainly mods out there you can get that are tube style although it may or may not meet your expectations for wattage, but some of them are fairly high wattage. I mean, if you are doing it for the form factor alone.

Yes, you will need to research a fair amount and understand ohm's law and etc. if you want to use a mech. For me that was the easier part of the "hard part" TBH. I'm not sure your first mech should really be for out and about use because I'm fairly certain that if I did something dumb with a mech, it would be forgetting to make sure it was "in safe position" in my handbag and having it auto fire and whatnot. With mechs you need PRECISION (in your builds and calculations) and also consistency (in how you use it an care for it.) I did not buy a mech expecting it to be my ADV. That would probably be a disaster for me at some point and depending on your vaping style and battery you may need to carry more than one battery. IDK..

If you want to try a mech, try one. But don't expect it to be your ADV probably, at least not at first. I mean, I wouldn't.

If you don't like boxy shapes, you could get a slim one battery mod that may not be an EXACT tube but close enough to not split hairs over it, and you can always carry another battery if you need more wattage in a day than one battery can supply (in silicone case, away from anything like keys or coins or anything that could cause a short (battery cases CAN open when carried around, although it's rare.) Something like the Jaq B would possibly make a good choice, again depending on wattage needs, but it is well liked and has a slim form factor.

And, to explore all options there are always manpurses and satchels. I must say, the times I'm really glad to be female are when dudes are talking about their pockets and the pocket limitation.

I mean, get a mech if you want.... I just don't know that I would consider it the safest thing to use as an all day, carry around in pocket mod and etc.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread