Looking to quit cigs but so many choices and configs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralJabroni

Jul 17, 2018
Hello, everyone. I'm trying to quit smoking cigarettes and I think buying an e-cig would help. I just wanted to ask for any of your suggestions that would somewhat meet the criteria I'm looking for.
  1. The purpose of this purchase is to help me quit cigarettes so the most important aspect is that the e-cig pulls like a cigarette (so probably an MTL). People seem to swear by the juul. I've also heard good things about some more economical juul-alikes (like Suorina and Phix) and the V2 brand as well.
  2. I'd simply buy the Juul but it seems it can get pretty expensive buying new cartridges for it. I'd prefer to buy my own juice and nicotine salts and manually refill a tank (or atomizer? I'm not sure of the terminology).
  3. Speaking of tanks, I'd really like it if I could easily switch between a tank with nicotine juice to another type of pre-filled tank (the ones I'm thinking of usually come in 510 thread). A detachable tank is a big plus.
  4. Lastly, I don't mind the size so the larger the battery, the better.
Thanks, all. I've been googling around for almost a week and can't seem to come to a good decision. I think I'm leaning towards a mod with E-go threading (which I think would work with tanks that have 510 threading) but don't know much about tanks and how they'd work with nicotine salts (which seems to be the best juice for former cig smokers).
I look forward to your suggestions.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It appears that you have done a fair amount of research prior to making a purchase. Good for you! That will certainly increase your odds for success. However, realize that many of us (including those who did a lot of prior research) went through a few different types of gear to find what worked best for us. It's just the nature of the beast; sometimes you don't know if it "fits" your style of vaping unless you try it first. :)

1 & 2. I'm not well informed on the "pod mod" genre in general. I do know that they can be very convenient to use, though quite expensive for the long term.
3 & 4. An eGo battery setup is one of the beginner setups that I recommend. I also highly recommend a smaller "mod" setup with a clearomizer.
I've not used nic salts, so someone else can assist you should you decide to go that route.

Last edited:

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

A lot depends on how much you smoke. Heavy smokers might do better with something more powerful than an Ego style mod.

Personally, I would skip the Ego and go straight to something with variable watts. They are more flexible in that they can grow with you.

The Aspire Zelos kit comes with a MTL tank. The tank can be removed and replaced with most 510 threaded tanks.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
You can use nicotine salts in ANY setup that you might get. Just remember, if you are going to use a coil setup that has less than one ohm of resistance, you will need to use a lower amount of nicotine, regardless if its salt or freebase. Heres a handy rule of thumb....high resistance-higher nic level- lower wattage...low resistance-lower nic level-higher wattage. This is not a hard fast rule but it's a good general starting point. And it applies to both nicotine salts as well as freebase. The main advantage of using nicotine salts is that you can use very high levels, i.e. 30-50mg/ml without experiencing excessive harshness that you would by using freebase nicotine at those levels. If you want to go with a tank, I would recommend using juice with nicotine level in the 18-24mg/ml range. This will get you the nicotine similar to what you were getting from smoking.

GeneralJabroni

Jul 17, 2018
went through a few different types of gear to find what worked best for us.
I figure I'll go through a good few changes until I find the perfect setup. Hopefully, by asking here, I'll be able to make a more informed decision and won't have to go through as many changes.
I'd prefer to not do pods since that involves having to buy cartridges, which means it'll get expensive in the long-term.
Yeah a clearomizer sounds like the most convenient option (as long as I find a good one that doesn't leak).
I'm having a hard time of weighing the pros and cons of an e-go battery vs a regular mod with 510 threading, though. At first I thought E-go was the way to go but the commenter below you (gandymarsh) suggests otherwise.

something more powerful than an Ego style mod.
Hold on.... so E-go provides less power than a regular 510 thread battery? I thought it was the other way around, I thought E-go was newer and had the potential to deliver more power to the tank.

high resistance-hiher nic level- lower wattage...low resistance-lower nic level-higher wattage
Great, thank you for this, I'll definitely keep this in mind when it's time to start buying the juices.

Really appreciate the suggestions, everyone. There's so many damn options and it's so daunting (little bit of analysis paralysis going on here) but this is definitely helping.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Ignore all reviews on V2. Don't go anywhere near them.

Same goes for Vaporfi. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

If the US has fake news, it also has fake internet reviews for overpriced products.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a Pod system unless it is 100% refillable. Many aren't or require a 'hack'.

As for 'eGo' threading.. no.. don't even consider that for one moment. It is redundant.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm having a hard time of weighing the pros and cons of an e-go battery vs a regular mod with 510 threading, though. At first I thought E-go was the way to go but the commenter below you (gandymarsh) suggests otherwise.
Hold on.... so E-go provides less power than a regular 510 thread battery? I thought it was the other way around, I thought E-go was newer and had the potential to deliver more power to the tank...
Ego batteries have a limited top power output. Their main selling point is that they are slim and lightweight, but they are rather brittle with moderate use and have a limited battery capacity. There are fixed output and variable power output models.

"Mods" offer the widest range of features and power options. They are available with an internal LiPo battery charged via micoUSB or with external IMR batteries charged with a dedicated IMR external charger. Both types have their pro's and con's, but in general external battery mods are generally favored. Mods offer variable wattage, which allows you to manually adjust your vape experience "on the fly". They also usually offer a battery voltage reader and an ohm reader to measure your coils resistance rating.

Where an eGo battery's top wattage is probably around 10 watts, mods are available with over 200 watts.

"Mods" can also be "mechanical" (bare bones, no electronics) or "regulated" (electronic chip with variable power).

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

Just to give you an idea of what I personally use on a daily basis for perspective:

Last edited:

GeneralJabroni

Jul 17, 2018
Ignore all reviews on V2. Don't go anywhere near them.
Huh.... someone actually suggested me the Series 3X Vaporizer (by V2) in another forum, even mentioning that it's the "gold standard" for 3 in 1's. I'm guessing you wouldn't like this one. What is your opinion on 3 in 1's in general?

[comment above]
Oh man, a lot of good info, here. Thanks so much for that, it clarified a lot.
It seems to me like I could get almost any (fairly decent) mod as long as it has 510 threading and power regulation. What I'm still not clear on is the different tank types. I get the difference between clearomizer, atomizer, and cartomizer (and it seems clearomizer is the most convenient option for me) but, between clearomizers, I can't really tell them apart other than by looks.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What I'm still not clear on is the different tank types. I get the difference between clearomizer, atomizer, and cartomizer (and it seems clearomizer is the most convenient option for me) but, between clearomizers, I can't really tell them apart other than by looks.
It can be quite confusing. Basically, you have MTL tanks (usually use coils above 1.0 ohm) and DTL tanks (usually sub ohm, or less than 1 ohm).

MTL tanks mostly simulate the experience of smoking a cigarette, a tighter more restricted draw. Usually uses a smaller heating coil. The drip tip (mouthpiece) usually has a more narrow bore. A typical example would be the Aspire Nautilus.

nautilus3.jpg

DTL (sub-ohm) tanks produce more vapor, consume more e-liquid, often require more power and drain a battery slightly faster. The drip tip usually has a wider inner bore. The heating coil is larger. The Uwell Crown is a typical example.

Uwell-Crown-Mini-Tank.jpg

Last edited:

GeneralJabroni

Jul 17, 2018
It can be quite confusing. Basically, you have MTL tanks (usually use coils above 1.0 ohm) and DTL tanks (usually sub ohm, or less than 1 ohm).

That's right, I remember reading about this. So, let me specify further: between MTL clearomizer tanks, I can't really tell differences (aside from size and I see that with some you can select how much outside air you want to draw). What are the main differences between these tanks? What should I be looking out for?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So, let me specify further: between MTL clearomizer tanks, I can't really tell differences (aside from size and I see that with some you can select how much outside air you want to draw). What are the main differences between these tanks? What should I be looking out for?
Generally speaking, a top fill clearomizer is more convenient to use than a bottom fill tank. You have to remove the tank from the battery device to refill a bottom fill tank. With a top fill tank you can simply add more e-liquid by removing the top cap while the tank is still on the battery device.

Reputation of the replacement coils. Some brands have a better reputation for quality replacement coils than do others. From what I've read here on the forum, SMOK coil replacements are "iffy" at best. Some tanks allow the use of other brand coils; for example, the Aspire Nautilus replacement coils are compatible in a number of other brand tanks (ie. Kabuki).

Can the coil be replaced without dumping out all the tank's e-liquid? Not a big deal for me, but could be for others.

Capacity: Some tanks only hold 2 ml of e-liquid, which may require you to refill the tank more often than once a day.

Airflow options: Some tanks have better airflow control than others.

Can the stock drip tip be replaced with another one of your choosing? I personally dislike metal drip tips, and usually replace the stock mouthpiece with a delrin plastic tip.

Availability of different coil resistances? The Nautilus only has 1.6 and 1.8 ohm coils. The original Crown tank has a wide selection of coil resistances to fit nearly any vaper's needs:

• 1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
  • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
  • 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
  • 0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (temp control)
Favourite Tank Discussion!
where are the MTL tanks at??

Watching a couple of You Tube reviews of the specific tanks you're interested in can be helpful in making your decision. Reviewer PBusardo is a MTL vaper who does in depth reviews and tutorials. As a matter of fact, Phil had his own tank designed by Innokin -
Innokin Zenith MTL tank--Phil Busardo

Last edited:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Many so called pod devices allow you to refill with your own liquid and change coils. A Joyetech Dolphin for instance which is a cheap very MTL device.

I usually recommend new vapers to Keep it Simple when they begin. A simple Kanger Evod or Dolphin or some such until you settle on a liquid flavor and get to know your own personal vaping style. The afore mentioned nautilus is a good setup if you want to go up in price. These devices will also provide you with a backup when you move on to more advanced mods and tanks. Remember your biggest expense may likely be finding the right liquid.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Go for an Evod Twist or a Spinner battery or two and a stash of 1.8 Evod coils and a couple Evod tanks .. I use them to this day .. reliable / cheap / simple .. add some Liquid and you're good to go ..

Just get into the Game, tweak your gear from there .. or not .. head spinning confusion is, er, head spinning confusion ..

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Huh.... someone actually suggested me the Series 3X Vaporizer (by V2) in another forum, even mentioning that it's the "gold standard" for 3 in 1's. I'm guessing you wouldn't like this one. What is your opinion on 3 in 1's in general?

We all know how V2 operate. They are not the gold standard of anything, only their profit margins. That kit in the UK is the best part of $100. I bet I could find it (on a manufacturer listing) for under $20 from China in under 5 minutes.

Either you do or don't want the 3rd option (I have no opinion).... if I did, I certainly would be doubly careful shopping around. That's an even more 'make up the prices and abuse the consumer' sort of business model.

When you have businesses selling $28 hardware for $199.99 it helps to understand how a lot of the market works - with only one aim - absurd profit. There is no USA R&D... even if some companies pretend to have a 'facility' in Reno or Area 51 :eek:.... It's all done for UK/US/EU companies by email (or in person occasionally) from China.

GeneralJabroni

Jul 17, 2018
As a matter of fact, Phil had his own tank designed by Innokin - Innokin Zenith MTL tank--Phil Busardo
Someone had recommended me that one on another forum. I see by the linked thread that you posted that people really like the Nautilus Mini. There's also mention of a Subtank Nano. Gunna look into those.
Man that's a lot of useful info. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to lay it out for me so clearly.

Many so called pod devices allow you to refill with your own liquid and change coils. A Joyetech Dolphin for instance which is a cheap very MTL device.
It doesn't look to have the standard threading, though. I don't mind paying a bit more for an e-cig, I imagine I'll be using it for quite some time. That Nautilus seems like a very viable option. Thanks for your suggestion!

Go for an Evod Twist or a Spinner battery...
I think I want to stay away from e-Go's. I think I'll prefer the power variation that mods offer. I don't mind that it might be less simple, I prefer the customize-ability. Thanks for the recommendation!

We all know how V2 operate. They are not the gold standard of anything, only their profit margins. That kit in the UK is the best part of $100. I bet I could find it (on a manufacturer listing) for under $20 from China in under 5 minutes.
Huh, didn't know that. Thanks!

GeneralJabroni

Jul 17, 2018

Ok, I think I'm ready to make a decision, just wanted to ask for your input one last time.

I've decided I should go with a TC mod (sounds like it's best for consistency and "ramp up") as opposed to VW/VV. It seems to me that the most important part to a TC mod is the chip. From what I've read, the best bang-for-your-buck seems to belong to:
Vaporesso Polar
Vaporesso Switcher
Smoant Charon Mini
Smoant Cylon
VooPoo Drag
VooPoo Too
Innokin Proton

Do you have any experience with these or are you familiar with them? I know they might seem like overkill for a newbie to vaping, but, again, I plan to use this frequently and for a long time.

• Useful

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Ok, I think I'm ready to make a decision, just wanted to ask for your input one last time.

I've decided I should go with a TC mod (sounds like it's best for consistency and "ramp up") as opposed to VW/VV. It seems to me that the most important part to a TC mod is the chip. From what I've read, the best bang-for-your-buck seems to belong to:
Vaporesso Polar
Vaporesso Switcher
Smoant Charon Mini
Smoant Cylon
VooPoo Drag
VooPoo Too
Innokin Proton

Do you have any experience with these or are you familiar with them? I know they might seem like overkill for a newbie to vaping, but, again, I plan to use this frequently and for a long time.

I have not had experience with any of those, but I just caught up on this thread... I do know the VooPoo Drag is highly respected at every vape shop I've been to. I just have a problem with the word DRAG over the entire side of the mod... but other than that, I've heard nothing but good about it.

As far as your choice... I don't want to shy you away from trying vaping, or confuse you. Go ahead with this purchase... but keep in mind, what you're buying is more intended for people who've been vaping for a while. There will be some frustrations along the way. If something doesn't click for you, then try a pod system like you were first thinking. The difference between something like a JUUL and a Drag, is vapor quantity. Even MTL, the JUUL doesn't come near the quantity of vapor as most 510 atomizers.... Even the MTL. If you notice, JUUL eliquid is around the 50mg/ml range, but most MTL users say 18mg/ml is considered high nicotine content. That is because of the designs. A Juul or those cigalikes are designed to not put out huge clouds, have a high draw to emulate cigarettes, and still provide enough nicotine by having a high nicotine ratio.

MTL atomizers, like the Zenith or Nautilus produce a more flavorful vapor, and will output more vapor compared to a JUUL. Because of that, your ejuice will have a lower nicotine content. So you really shouldn't use JUUL ejuice in a MTL. I've heard of people using 24mg/ml in a Nautilus, but I usually recommend 12-18mg/ml to start off with for Ex smokers.

As far as TC.. those cater mostly to the ones who like a decent cloud quantity. TC was designed to heat up the wire without burning the cotton. Usually, that pushes it to the max vapor setting for that coil, and thus max vapor from that coil. When I started vaping, I was put off by a huge vapor production I wanted something more similar to a cigarette. So, to me, something like the EGO was a perfect starter, and is what got me to quit. I did end up getting a more powerful mod later on, but I wouldn't have if I didn't start with an EGO style to begin with. Others, I've heard, can quit by going straight to mods. So, just keep that at the back of your mind through your vaping journey.

Good luck

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I have the voopoo drag. I really like it a lot, and use it every day. Dont worry about thinking it is overkill for a newbie. Its not at all difficult to use. Just keep it in vw mode for starters. Worry about whether or not to explore tc mode later, no biggie. Ive been vaping about a year and still havent checked out temperature control and im not sure that im missing anything. The only negative thing i can say about this mod is i got a black one with the resin side. The black finish is coming off pretty much after a few months. I dont mind this too bad as it has zero effect on how it vapes. In fact, i like this mod so much, im gonna be getting a second one for a spare.i used a smok tpriv and also a sigelei fuchai. Both of these mods are ok too. But the drag is a really hard working, enjoyabe box.

jj_9

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2013
FR
Hi GeneralJabroni ,

A point I didn't see in all the previous posts is the e-liquid you will start with.

It's (imo) the major point for the transition (more than the hardware).
You have to find a taste that you'll prefer over the cigarette.
So when you get back to an occasional cigarette your mind say "what's this awful taste" ;-)

As long as you don't find "your" juice you may have more difficulties.

(sorry for words imprecision)
-JJ-

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi all good questions and I am a MTL vaper that owns many dual battery setups and I just greatly enjoy the battery life. If you don't know yet what TYPE of vaper you will be, having a larger mod does allow you to try DL without much difficulty.

The Crown Uwell original may be for you as it's got 1.2 coils and would allow you to try a wide variety of resistances but I'm not sure on the draw, frankly as it is set up more as a DL tank. You'd have to close down the airflow and possibly get a smaller driptip to even approach a true MTL tank, although full disclosure I don't own one but I am a very FIRM MTL vaper.

A word on MTL tanks, MANY of them don't offer a TC option (not sure why other than TC mode doesn't always work that well with small, drop in coils. I can only think of a handful and some are not so user friendly.

I have the cylon (love it) and a few Vapresso mods I think they're decent for the price but from all you listed I might go with the Cylon honestly, although a lot of it is personal preference but TBH most users seem to like them.

You can still buy a TC capable mod and just reserve the temperature function for once you start rebuildable tanks or if you want to try a DL topper (many of them DO offer Tc capable drop in coils) but I wouldn't know where to point you, honestly, as I'm not a DL vaper. If it helps there are a lot of TC capable MTL rebuildables ALTHOUGH that opens a whole other can of worms.

I did not vape in TC for some time to start, as it took me a while to get building down, but once I did, it's been great. And, here I am still alive and kicking, don't think that would have necessarily happened if I were to have continued smoking. Etc.

What I'm saying is TC is certainly a worthy goal, but you may not and really do not NECESSARILY have to do that from day one, etc. It's great to SHOOT for that goal, but vapers were vaping NON Tc mode LONG before TC was even invented. It's a good thing and all, don't get me wrong, I'm also saying don't limit your MTL options if that is truly the draw you want. I still vape coils that are drop in, not TC, but I follow OTHER best practices in vaping and my relative temperatures stay low (rotating setups, using some DW to lower boiling point, etc. There are many ways to make your vape safer is what I'm saying.

In any case, the Nautilus 2 is a great vape. I've moved on to other tanks that take that coil but I will never knock it, etc.

The zenith is fantastic, flavorful coils last forever there are RUMORS at stainless steel coil may become available which would be awesome. 4 ml tank without a cage, so nothing to act like a heat sink and whatnot and etc. It's really a great option for new MTL vapers.

Best of luck, and yes, next on the agenda should be hunting down flavors. A lot of online vendors will offer sample packs so you can try their offerings at little financial risk and if your state/municipality allows flavor testing, traveling to a brick and mortar can sometimes be useful and etc. It's a great way to find out what your palate will like..

Best of luck, keep asking questions as you go and etc!

Anba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread