The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Looking to retrofit DNA go chip from the Orion into a custom pod mod. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by Aladdin92, Aug 5, 2019.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Aladdin92

Aladdin92 New Member

Aug 5, 2019
    So I love my Orion, but hate the pods and thus have been using the caliburn as my daily for over a month. I started the process on making a custom adapter 'pod' that you can stick the caliburn pod into. However, it's going to take time and lots of 3d prints. It wouldn't be hard, it's just that I've had a better idea! Totally new setup. My questions though are:

• Can I desolder the button and led light to relocate them?? If so is there a way to combine the two?? I'd like the smd to illuminate the button.
    • If I can relocate the two, is there any fear of throwing off the chip and causing issues assuming I've soldered everything correctly?? What gauge wire should I use?! I'm going with 22g left over from a led project.
    • If I can relocate the SMD how difficult would it be to replace it with a larger/brighter one. The smd used changes colors depending on the settings and you can set custom colors via the escribe software on PC.
    • In regards to the microUSB charging port. Can I relocate that with wire as well?
    • Can I replace the lipo battery with something larger/different dimensions assuming the voltage is the same??

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Mordacai

Mordacai Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Hello @Aladdin92, it's something that's not easy to find out and answer. But I like the idea.

There's no Technical Documents on the Evolv website relating to the DNA Go chipset, and there doesn't really seem to be a mod making community using them.

But I wish you well in your endeavour, good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    No idea that is WAY above my paygrade. I bet you CAN how you will do it is the burning bush.

Anna

4. Aladdin92

Aladdin92 New Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Yeah, I guess it's going to be trial and error. This weekend I'll tear the device down and see what works and what doesnt. Worse comes to worse I can just move things around so that everything lines up with the board.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mordacai

Mordacai Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Might well be worth creating a thread and uploading pictures of the disassembly @Aladdin92, as not many folks will have done it intentionally and without using a hammer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikepetro

mikepetro Vape Geek Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I have several of these boards.
    IMHO, moving components around on this board would be very difficult.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mikepetro

Supporting member
    upload_2019-8-23_17-41-15.png

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mikepetro

Supporting member
    You could probably use a light pipe to redirect the LED under a clear actuator.
    You could remove the USB connector and add a new remote one via wires.

But you better have a SMD station, and you better be good at it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikepetro

Supporting member
    You can also hook up an external Fire Button, and route a light pipe to it.

upload_2019-8-23_17-53-44.png

upload_2019-8-23_17-55-42.png

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1