Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
FDA Plans to Sharply Restrict Sales of Flavored E-Cigarettes

The Food and Drug Administration plans to sharply restrict the sale of most flavored pod-style e-cigarettes, effectively pulling them from most convenience stores and gas stations and requiring strict age verification controls for online sales, according to senior FDA officials.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...55347f48762_story.html?utm_term=.70323a7ff07d

The Food and Drug Administration, alarmed by a huge increase in vaping among minors, is expected to impose severe restrictions on the sale of e-cigarette products throughout the United States — actions that will probably have a significant impact on an industry that has grown exponentially in recent years with little government oversight.

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I heard that story on the radio driving in this morning. I also heard, for the time being, the FDA is not too concerned about the b&m vape shops. Kids don't usually frequent those stores.
I believe most vape shops are more stringent to check for age verifications with a photo ID than convenience stores or gas stations. I know the shop that I worked in did.

However, teens can be very resourceful in their ability to obtain a vape.

As sales people in our store, if we had any inkling that an adult might be purchasing a vape or e-liquid for an underaged person, we were forbidden to sell it to them or we risked being fired on the spot. Our store manager took this situation very seriously. He would rather have an unhappy customer than be charged for selling to a minor or his accomplice.

Last edited:

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Ok so where I live I won't be able to buy flavored pods at a gas station but I can buy cigarettes, beer and hard liquor. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Imagine an FDA official saying exactly that one day in a meeting.

It was probably sarcasm, taken out of context, which got the ball rolling in the first place.
:lol:

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I thought I was hip to teen slang. What is "spice"?
My daughter was into it back in high school-6-7 years ago. That stuff is scary! She got very paranoid. Back then it was kind of new and people didn't know how bad it was, especially teenagers. How bad can it be if it's being sold at a regular store? I am sure that's what the teenagers thought.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I thought I was hip to teen slang. What is "spice"?

Spice is a form of poupori (spelling?) that kids smoke and gas stations sell along with their line of alternative tobacco products. It's pretty much banned anymore but those same places don't have a qualm about kids buying vape stuff along with their other alternative tobacco products.

I noticed I didn't have to keep replacing the screens in my faucet when a local Shell station began selling that stuff. I had already begun using plastic screens just to thwart the kids from taking them.
(Yes my kids tried those things, but luckily they figured out real quick they were not good at being criminals and moved to stuff they were good at.)

If this post is dis-allowed, oops my bad.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Spice is a form of poupori (spelling?) that kids smoke and gas stations sell along with their line of alternative tobacco products. It's pretty much banned anymore but those same places don't have a qualm about kids buying vape stuff along with their other alternative tobacco products.
From the description, it sounds like bath salts.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Ok so where I live I won't be able to buy flavored pods at a gas station but I can buy cigarettes, beer and hard liquor. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.
Especially the pomegranate, cherry,vanilla, strawberry, and whipped cream vodkas. Funny they didn't mention how many percent high school start-up smoking has gone down too...

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Could be bat-itude. Or in the same family of stupidity....

I just know when I raided one of the kids rooms the containers had the word spice on them. The boy was taking weekly tests and was trying to skirt the rules. Mr. Judge was not impressed to say the least.

Once he figured out he could get the same affect by banging head against the wall he chose to stop becoming self intoxicated and chose a path of sobriety.

Oh, and he vapes now too. He's 23 now and doing very well in life.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Especially the pomegranate, cherry,vanilla, strawberry, and whipped cream vodkas. Funny they didn't mention how many percent high school start-up smoking has gone down too...
HulaMoon, have you seen the flyers at all thr schools, health clinics etc this fall in our home? I posted under (aloha) United Way in News, Media, Or I can PM you, Ill be rounding up ppl in HI. Aloha.ip

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
FDA Plans to Sharply Restrict Sales of Flavored E-Cigarettes

The Food and Drug Administration plans to sharply restrict the sale of most flavored pod-style e-cigarettes, effectively pulling them from most convenience stores and gas stations and requiring strict age verification controls for online sales, according to senior FDA officials.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...55347f48762_story.html?utm_term=.70323a7ff07d

The Food and Drug Administration, alarmed by a huge increase in vaping among minors, is expected to impose severe restrictions on the sale of e-cigarette products throughout the United States — actions that will probably have a significant impact on an industry that has grown exponentially in recent years with little government oversight.

So today, Nov 13 Juul left Social media and restricted most popular flavours.
Bloomberg - Juul

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
To be honest, and it may or may not be a popular opinion on here, but I'm glad Juul have come off social media and think they should have done so the moment they became synonymous with non-smoking teens getting into them. Sure I know teens are going to be teens and will always find a way to get their hands on stuff they shouldn't, but instead they've come across as being like big tobacco back in the day setting out to appeal to the young to make big bucks.

I don't believe that was their intention, but that's been the public perception and allowing it to continue for so long has just given people intent on demonising vaping an easy target. Claiming not to be trying to appeal to teens and maintaining a savvy social media profile on networks most popular with teens was naive PR at best.

It seems to largely be a fad in the US though, I don't think Juul are anywhere near as popular here in the UK with teens or with adults

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
To be honest, and it may or may not be a popular opinion on here, but I'm glad Juul have come off social media and think they should have done so the moment they became synonymous with non-smoking teens getting into them. Sure I know teens are going to be teens and will always find a way to get their hands on stuff they shouldn't, but instead they've come across as being like big tobacco back in the day setting out to appeal to the young to make big bucks.

I don't believe that was their intention, but that's been the public perception and allowing it to continue for so long has just given people intent on demonising vaping an easy target. Claiming not to be trying to appeal to teens and maintaining a savvy social media profile on networks most popular with teens was naive PR at best.

It seems to largely be a fad in the US though, I don't think Juul are anywhere near as popular here in the UK with teens or with adults

Unfortunately, it's quite popular for vapers to throw Juul and other pod vapes under the bus. For example --> Try and change my mind...

As I said in that topic... I think the hate for Juul and pods is not helpful. Not only does it drive people away from vaping but the hostility weakens the community at a time when we need to be strong together... supporting each others efforts to quit smoking... and supporting vaping, in general, while it is under scrutiny from the government.

I'm not surprised that Juul isn't popular in the UK since it just started selling in the UK this summer. It's been available for a long time in the US. Also, in the UK it is only 1.7% whereas it is 5% in the USA (they've also recently added 3% but it is not commonly available except online).

I don't particularly care about Juul. You can think whatever you want. But if you think Juul is the only thing at risk, then think again. They are just getting the most attention because they are the most successful. But warnings have been given to lots of companies.

Here's the Juul packaging.

juul-ad.jpg

Pretty plain.

Here's some packaging that has gotten the attention of the FDA.

Link to FDA -->E-Liquids Misleadingly Labeled or Advertised as Food Products

ad-1.jpeg
ad-2.jpeg
ad-3.jpeg
ad-4.jpeg
ad-5.jpeg

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Unfortunately, it's quite popular for vapers to throw Juul and other pod vapes under the bus. For example --> Try and change my mind...

As I said in that topic... I think the hate for Juul and pods is not helpful. Not only does it drive people away from vaping but the hostility weakens the community at a time when we need to be strong together... supporting each others efforts to quit smoking... and supporting vaping, in general, while it is under scrutiny from the government.

I'm not surprised that Juul isn't popular in the UK since it just started selling in the UK this summer. It's been available for a long time in the US. Also, in the UK it is only 1.7% whereas it is 5% in the USA (they've also recently added 3% but it is not commonly available except online).

I don't particularly care about Juul. You can think whatever you want. But if you think Juul is the only thing at risk, then think again. They are just getting the most attention because they are the most successful. But warnings have been given to lots of companies.

Here's the Juul packaging.

View attachment 779911

Pretty plain.

Here's some packaging that has gotten the attention of the FDA.

Link to FDA -->E-Liquids Misleadingly Labeled or Advertised as Food Products

View attachment 779913 View attachment 779915 View attachment 779917 View attachment 779919 View attachment 779921

Yeah I mean I don't have hate for Juul as a product, or an opinion on it at all really, haven't tried it so can't comment on that. I started with the equivalant of a pod system back in the day and it did the job.

What I'm getting at is by being slow to act about the reputation they've managed to acquire as being a new teenage fad they've opened up the vape industry to the traditional 'won't somebody please think of the children' attacks. They really should have changed their social media strategy ages ago in my opinion, as things like the images you've posted are under more scrutiny from vape hostile organisations. Even now it just looks like they're doing it because the FDA have strong armed them.

As the biggest name in vaping in the states (by the sounds of it anyway) I feel like they had the responsibility to represent vaping and the community in a more constructive light. Instead it looks like they've been at best naive at how they've contributed to the perception of vaping and now indpendant juice-makers like the ones you've posted pictures of are potentially going to suffer the consequences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread