Lost Vape Drone 250C - EScribe Temperature Control (Preheat confusion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello folks, hopefully someone can help resolve the issues that a novice is having with EScribe.

Under Preheat you have Watts, Punch and Temperature. And Evolv in their infinite wisdom have not updated the EScribe manual to include a description of Punch and Temperature.

As I cannot set Preheat Temperature above 149°C or 300°F, and as for Punch I left that at 5 the default value due to having no explanation or idea what it really does.

What I'm trying to do is set TC for 250°C, I was using a 0.83 ohm coil in my rda and had limited max Watts at 16 and main temperature at 250°C. But device Monitor states that I'm topping out at around 220°C. And it takes a fair while to get there as well, approx 4 seconds.

Any help clearing up the confusion that Evolv have caused would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: charlie1465

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Escribe totally needs a manual update. They overreached a couple times in a row trying to get improved documentation systems to work and never finished either of them. They took too long and cost too much and got abandoned and now they have nothing. It’s annoying.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
What I'm trying to do is set TC for 250°C, I was using a 0.83 ohm coil in my rda and had limited max Watts at 16 and main temperature at 250°C. But Device Monitor states that I'm topping out at around 220°C. And it takes a fair while to get there as well, approx 4 seconds.

IMO your temp is too High & your watts are too low. Evolv did some studies on the Boiling point of E-Juice & found that starting at 450 F 232c the toxin levels started to rise substantially! So ideally you would want to stay under 450F. The watts & boost are just going to regulate how fast you get there. In Temp Control if you set at 450f it will not exceed that temp, so watts, boost, even ohms are less relevant. Lower your temp, increase your watts & boost, let the chip do it's job regulating the temp :)

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Steamer861, that's part of my issue. Due to limited information I'm having this issue.

Just need to understand these convoluted options to configure it to what I know that I like, and that is 250°C.

I can of course tell that TC on the Evolv chipset is superior to my other mods, but at least they comply when I set them to the target temperature.

On the positive side, I'm learning EScribe and have managed to sort out the default temperature step setting from 5° to 1°.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlie1465

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Difficult to gauge a DNA to other devices for we have no means with other devices to see how they are operating. We set, vape and assume they are achieving our prescribed temperature with a level of accuracy.

For a regulated device, prescribed power is based on the mass of the coil and not it’s resistance. Low mass coils may not be able to achieve high temperatures for they can be greatly influenced by air flow and juice saturation. Higher mass coils will require more power to achieve said temperature.

As mentioned, 250°C is quite high, if that is what you have set your TC at with other devices I would not use that as a benchmark. Going to assume you are using a SS coil, if so omitting your 250°C goal, how does the coil vape in wattage mode? Can you achieve a satisfying vape in wattage mode? If you can, plot the live resistance and that should tell you your preferred temperature. Example: if 30 watts increased the resistance to 0.98 ohms (from 0.83 as read at room temp), and you felt this was a satisfying vape, this equation “(live ohms – cold ohms)/(TCR value *cold ohms) + room temp” will tell you that you achieved 230°C from a room temp of 25°C. You can now use this information to dial in your TC.

I do not use the preheat. I find setting a higher than usual wattage to be much more effective. If 30 watts allows you to achieve your desired temp, you can slightly increase that to mitigate ramp up and account for any ambient temp changes if needed. The device will scale back the power once you reach your temp. Giving the device some headroom to work with, in terms of power delivery, can allow it to make the necessary changes should it be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread