Status
Not open for further replies.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Micro USB plugs can vary by manufacturer.... as long as it is making connection it should be fine... I have some that have shorter connection point (metal part) which allows the rubber insulation to come closer to the device. The rubber insulation part is further away from the device with other USB plugs I have.... No problem...

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks, just seemed odd that the conect usb came from Lost Vape and should (imo) have fitted flush. It works but still a risk on a fairly expensive mod. Cheers

TBH, any micro usb cable will work. No magic to them, and no need to only use the LV one.

Here's an example of how a usb plug looks on mine.
Therion usb.jpg

There is that small gap, but it's making contact for both eScribe and charging.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
hum..... just one more comment about USB cables....

Not all cables are created equal in terms of operability....
I only use the best cables I can find, whether it be a data/charge cable or just a charge cable. They are not cheap but resolve many issues one can have with charge rates and data flow...

I have the cables that may come with the device but they mostly just gather dust.... :)

Reactions: SLM

{Sean}

Feb 26, 2016
TBH, any micro usb cable will work. No magic to them, and no need to only use the LV one.

Here's an example of how a usb plug looks on mine.
View attachment 627693

There is that small gap, but it's making contact for both eScribe and charging.

Thanks again Eskie and others, looks about the same to mine. Will post photo later but you have resolved my issue on if it was a faulty unit as it seems standard. Cheers

Reactions: SLM and Eskie

bigTRAV710

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2016
Fort Worth Tx
New to Lost Vape - Therion DNA 166 usb socket.

Hi picked up the Therion DNA 166 two days ago as I wanted a change from my other mods (Provari's) after 13 months of not smoking I was getting a bit bored so thought a change was needed.

Hard learning curve, but seem to be doing ok in the watt setting, still struggling with temp setting but a fantastic looking mod.

I have some questions that I hope someone can help me with.

The USB cable that plugs into the Therion works but only plugs in halfway which seems odd and not that secure. Is this normal or a fault.

On my Provari mods the coil ohm readings are pretty much spot on with only a slight variation. On the Therion it seems to jump around. For example ive been using Triton mini coil 0.15 ohm but reads on the Therion 0.22 but jumps up to 0.37/8 etc. I understand that individual coils can be slightly off the supposed ohm rating but again is this a normal?

I'm using variable wattage settings at the moment and trying to get my head around Escribe. Any help would be most welcomed. All the best.
The cable that came with mine does the same rhing in anything i plug it into , its just a long connection, try a diff cable and it will plug in flusher. I dont use temp controll so i cant really give any pointers on that. Get an external battery charger , your batteries will have a longer life.

nexus3

Aug 29, 2014
Bulgaria
Hi Guys, what Atty shall i put on that beautiful Therion, once it arrives finally, so it matches the looks of the mod.
Can you post a pic of the therion with Kayfun v5 on it. Thanks.

Edit: I received the requested pics from our local forum.

I read that there are quite a few problems with the "gunmetal" colored part of the metal body. Can you confirm that its a common problem, or it may be a result of not very careful handling of the mod?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Well, After over 5 months of waiting, I finally got my Therion DNA75 yesterday... I'll never use the leaking boat and blind donkey with a broken leg shipment option agin.

Impressions: as I already seen it in stores and such, I've always found it looked great, clean quality finish.

As this is my first DNA device I expected this thing to work great from the box.. NOT SO....

I spent the whole night searching to why all my tanks with SS 316L that are working flawlessly in my several other (non-DNA) mods were giving me absolutely nothing good.

Got the software, hooked it up to my computer and started to test things out.

The TC would work for a moment then I'd get the dreaded OFF, I tried back and forth, resetted it a hundred times, tried multiple settings and either absolutely way under-powered or instant burn. The settings were awkward and had to explore every bit of that software and still it was painful....

So at 1a.m. I gave up.... until 7a.m. and just had to figure out if I had been doing something wrong or I was going to have to consider that I just got a defective unit....

In all these hours, I had found many mention similar issues and "work-arounds" to get the TC to work again, and so on, but still nothing that worked for me or seemed right.

THEN I FOUND IT.. ONE SITE, ONE @#&^%@#&% SITE HAD THE INFO: The TCR values for 316L that they loaded the Therion with are WRONG....I went to Steam Engine and obtained the correct one, loaded it up (once I figured that part out), and it finally started working correctly.

I do find that it appears to be still off as on all my other mods, I can set my mod at 45W and at around 460F with this tank and built, and with this one, I have to be about 100F higher (so about 560F) to have the same experience. But at least it's operating in a way that it's actually usable.

Worst part is that the 316L are almost identical to the 316 values so I could have used the 316 setting all along but if they're going to have a 316L setting, you'd think that it's the one that one should use.

The odd thing I find is the approach it takes to the wattage in TC mode, it seems to struggle knowing what to do with the wattage while reaching and maintaining the TC. (set at 45W and according to the monitor, it never reaches over 20-25W aside for split-second pre-heat)

Anyways, for a first experience with DNA (aside the monitoring and all the customization that's the best part), I'm seriously disappointed.

I just hope that when I get back home and use it again, it'll be working correctly still... But I do want to see what I can do about having the TC setting so high, I'll have to see if I can balance it a bit better.

Last edited:

bigTRAV710

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2016
Fort Worth Tx
Well, After over 5 months of waiting, I finally got my Therion DNA75 yesterday... I'll never use the leaking boat and blind donkey with a broken leg shipment option agin.

Impressions: as I already seen it in stores and such, I've always found it looked great, clean quality finish.

As this is my first DNA device I expected this thing to work great from the box.. NOT SO....

I spent the whole night searching to why all my tanks with SS 316L that are working flawlessly in my several other (non-DNA) mods were giving me absolutely nothing good.

Got the software, hooked it up to my computer and started to test things out.

The TC would work for a moment then I'd get the dreaded OFF, I tried back and forth, resetted it a hundred times, tried multiple settings and either absolutely way under-powered or instant burn. The settings were awkward and had to explore every bit of that software and still it was painful....

So at 1a.m. I gave up.... until 7a.m. and just had to figure out if I had been doing something wrong or I was going to have to consider that I just got a defective unit....

In all these hours, I had found many mention similar issues and "work-arounds" to get the TC to work again, and so on, but still nothing that worked for me or seemed right.

THEN I FOUND IT.. ONE SITE, ONE @#&^%@#&% SITE HAD THE INFO: The TCR values for 316L that they loaded the Therion with are WRONG....I went to Steam Engine and obtained the correct one, loaded it up (once I figured that part out), and it finally started working correctly.

I do find that it appears to be still off as on all my other mods, I can set my mod at 45W and at around 460F with this tank and built, and with this one, I have to be about 100F higher (so about 560F) to have the same experience. But at least it's operating in a way that it's actually usable.

Worst part is that the 316L are almost identical to the 316 values so I could have used the 316 setting all along but if they're going to have a 316L setting, you'd think that it's the one that one should use.

The odd thing I find is the approach it takes to the wattage in TC mode, it seems to struggle knowing what to do with the wattage while reaching and maintaining the TC. (set at 45W and according to the monitor, it never reaches over 20-25W aside for split-second pre-heat)

Anyways, for a first experience with DNA (aside the monitoring and all the customization that's the best part), I'm seriously disappointed.

I just hope that when I get back home and use it again, it'll be working correctly still... But I do want to see what I can do about having the TC setting so high, I'll have to see if I can balance it a bit better.
I hate tc period, its weaksauce , way too cool of a vape. The internal resistance of the mod itself might be throwing it off. I tried a 316L build on my LBC dna200 squonker and it was ok, still to wispy for my style of vaping so i put my bf goon24 on my therion and it burnt the .... out of the cotton. Worked fine on my dna200 , thats why i think Lost Vape messed up when setting the value of the actual mod .

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I hate tc period, its weaksauce , way too cool of a vape. The internal resistance of the mod itself might be throwing it off. I tried a 316L build on my LBC dna200 squonker and it was ok, still to wispy for my style of vaping so i put my bf goon24 on my therion and it burnt the .... out of the cotton. Worked fine on my dna200 , thats why i think Lost Vape messed up when setting the value of the actual mod .

If all you've had was experience with DNA mods, I would understand your feelings as I am quite disappointed with it with this mod, BUT as I stated, I've switched to TC over a year ago with my "cheap" chinese mods (Eleaf, SMOK, Joytech) and it's been absolutely great, and I hate to use wattage mode now.

Taking the tank I have on my Therion and putting it on one of my Eleaf, I go from a 580F, 45W setting that taste harsh, to a 280F 45W that's smooth.

I wanted to see what a DNA mod could do, and between the fact that I had to fix it (something that someone that wouldn't do the software/computer thing wouldn't be able to do) which took me hours to find an answer, the price being triple at least, and I still think that I should be able to tweak it somehow, I completely do not get the fanboy-ism that DNA mods get.

Thanks to this experience, I don't believe that I'd ever want to ever bother with another DNA mod ever again.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
ok, more 2 hours of adjustments and I think I got it. (probably taken me a total of about 6 hours of research and tweaking and such in total)

I've constructed a profile where I have: 316L

In materials (in Escribe)

I used the 316L temperature coefficient of resistance of 0.00150

Which gave me a pretty close setting to my goal vape experience was, but I tweaked it a bit and adjusted with:

I have my curve set at
68F = 1.0
800F = 1.37

And with four tanks, comparing it to my other mods for the temp I fell I now am getting the correct experience and warmth between these two tanks.

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
ok, more 2 hours of adjustments and I think I got it. (probably taken me a total of about 6 hours of research and tweaking and such in total)

I've constructed a profile where I have: 316L

In materials (in Escribe)

I used the 316L temperature coefficient of resistance of 0.00150

Which gave me a pretty close setting to my goal vape experience was, but I tweaked it a bit and adjusted with:

I have my curve set at
68F = 1.0
800F = 1.37

And with four tanks, comparing it to my other mods for the temp I fell I now am getting the correct experience and warmth between these two tanks.
The TCR for SS316L isn't anywhere near .0015. It's .00092. I've seen some go slightly higher, like .00095, but not anywhere near where your at. I use the curves from Steam Engine and get good results with Lightning Vapes 316L ClaptonWire. Temco always has good SS316L. It seems like SS316L, since it's an alloy, a slight variance in formula will change the TCR. What I'm trying to say is not all SS316L is created equal. The quality seems to vary from company to company.

I tend to use Unkamen SS430 because the TCR is about 50% greater than SS316L. I get great results using it.

If you are having TC being inconsistent, I'd check the Atomizer Analyzer in Escribe (General Tab) while the coils are cool (to make sure the resistance isn't jumping all over the place. I'd also check to see if anything has been entered in the Mods Resistance (Mod Tab of Escribe). If you have no way to check .004-.007 is a good ballpark.

qDpbMVR.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Reactions: Eskie

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
The TCR for SS316L isn't anywhere near .0015. It's .00092. I've seen some go slightly higher, like .00095, but not anywhere near where your at. I use the curves from Steam Engine and get good results with Lightning Vapes 316L ClaptonWire. Temco always has good SS316L. It seems like SS316L, since it's an alloy, a slight variance in formula will change the TCR. What I'm trying to say is not all SS316L is created equal. The quality seems to vary from company to company.

I tend to use Unkamen SS430 because the TCR is about 50% greater than SS316L. I get great results using it.

If you are having TC being inconsistent, I'd check the Atomizer Analyzer in Escribe (General Tab) while the coils are cool (to make sure the resistance isn't jumping all over the place. I'd also check to see if anything has been entered in the Mods Resistance (Mod Tab of Escribe). If you have no way to check .004-.007 is a good ballpark.

qDpbMVR.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks.. I've been playing with it a lot in the last hour...

OK, I've reset my mod to default, and back to bad TC... so adjusted 316L to 0.0013 (that gives 1.529 @ 800F), it's "Temperature dominant", 45W, 55W preheat at soft (1) and it's working fairly normal again....

I wonder how long this will last.

I've locked my OHM at 0.28 which the Atomizer Analyser confirmed...

Coils are a dual RTA built, wires are simple generic.

The thing is.. on ALL my "cheap" chinese mods, I have absolutely no issues at all, I can flip the tank from one to another mod (Eleaf, SMOK, Joytech) and put in the exact same settings and get the exact same experience (warmth, and TC cut-off, etc,).

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
I gave up on using temp control on my Therion 75. I am a computer expert by trade so I was ok with using escribe but after days of effort it never worked right with 316L wire. I used every profile I could download and nothing came close to my other mods with tc. I was disappointed in the Therion as it looks beautiful and works great in standard wattage mode. I will never buy another DNA mod after this experience. I don't need the grief.

All my cheap mods work great in temp mode with 316L without all the grief. I just use the Therion in wattage mode for the past several months and life goes on. Lesson learned. Is it possible to get it to work? Maybe but I don't want to work that hard to get a good vape. All my other mods are plug and play.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I gave up on using temp control on my Therion 75. I am a computer expert by trade so I was ok with using escribe but after days of effort it never worked right with 316L wire. I used every profile I could download and nothing came close to my other mods with tc. I was disappointed in the Therion as it looks beautiful and works great in standard wattage mode. I will never buy another DNA mod after this experience. I don't need the grief.

All my cheap mods work great in temp mode with 316L without all the grief. I just use the Therion in wattage mode for the past several months and life goes on. Lesson learned. Is it possible to get it to work? Maybe but I don't want to work that hard to get a good vape. All my other mods are plug and play.

Thanks... it's nice to know that I'm not crazy here.... or alone in this...

Worst part is I'm also a very advance computer person, among several other technical fields, and while I did get it working reasonably "fine", it's still not even close to what I'm getting from any of my other mods...

I'll keep plugging away, and as per the settings I've been describing here, maybe it might help you get some usage out of it... but like you, I feel that I'll end up with my most expensive mod being used for my at-home RDAs for testing and sampling.

I stopped at my local store which are the main experts place, and the owner offered to have a look and see what he can do to assist...

I just think it's crazy that the DNA mods have such a following that claim so heartily about how great DNA mods are, but only after you "tweaked" them right right... how so much better they are, how much more accurate, etc. and yet, a 30$ cheap chinese one works right out of the box just fine with any build I've put on them...

Belushi

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2009
The Colony, TX
..He explained to me that the Therion reverse polarity protection is manual...

I'm a-bit confused on that comment, pbusardo also made that comment in one of his videos, showing a sticker in the battery compartment about inserting the batteries in reverse may void warranty, he goes on and says "apparently, it does not have electrical reverse parity protection, but does have mechanical reverse parity protection" (see 17:20 mark in video below).

However, evolv specifications does say reverse polarity protection is provided by the dna75 and dna75c chip. So is the chip protected, but the other electrical components not protected, or is this just some mis-understandings being circulated due to Lost Vape including the sticker in the battery compartment?

Edit: Or, could it have something to do with the dual 18650's running in parallel?

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/dna75color.pdf
https://downloads.evolvapor.com/dna75.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread