Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
My Aunt lives in a townhouse .. the bedrooms are upstairs .. although there is a railing, it is obvious that she has a struggle going up and down .. she's 90, after all ..

Her sons are trying to get her to consider a chair lift .. they indicate they want to see what financial help may be out there thru SS, etc ..

Anita vehemently resists the idea .. although she has brought it up to me, I have somewhat resisted weighing in on the idea ..

This woman is still quite independent in her ways, yet it is apparent the years have substantially slowed her down, rightfully so ..

When I took her out to dinner, she insisted on driving .. and, was playing a disk of oldies at a fairly loud volume, singing along as she went .. she decided to take the scenic route as well .. I believe by the time we got to the eatery, my hands had imprinted themselves into the arm rest and console .. when we left, I offered to drive and she relinquished the keys to me ..

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My Aunt lives in a townhouse .. the bedrooms are upstairs .. although there is a railing, it is obvious that she has a struggle going up and down .. she's 90, after all ..

Her sons are trying to get her to consider a chair lift .. they indicate they want to see what financial help may be out there thru SS, etc ..

Anita vehemently resists the idea .. although she has brought it up to me, I have somewhat resisted weighing in on the idea ..

This woman is still quite independent in her ways, yet it is apparent the years have substantially slowed her down, rightfully so ..

When I took her out to dinner, she insisted on driving .. and, was playing a disk of oldies at a fairly loud volume, singing along as she went .. she decided to take the scenic route as well .. I believe by the time we got to the eatery, my hands had imprinted themselves into the arm rest and console .. when we left, I offered to drive and she relinquished the keys to me ..
    I love the pics and the story. Anita will not be happy when she has to give up her license.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2011
    I love the pics and the story. Anita will not be happy when she has to give up her license.

I don't know what the DMV rules are in South Carolina .. I suspect they may be somewhat liberal .. in Illinois, it's

'Specifically, Illinois: requires drivers age 75 and older to renew their licenses in person. requires both a vision test and road test for drivers ages 75 and older renewing in person. requires drivers ages 81 through 86 to renew their license every two years, and those 87 and older to renew annually' ..

pwmeek

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2011
    SE Michigan
    At 78, in Michigan, I've been expecting to see some closer attention for renewing my drivers license, but as recently as last year it was still renew by mail or online. We shall see when it needs renewing in 2024 when I will be turning 81. I don't feel ready to give up driving, but I expect that we are going to be poor judges of our own capabilities.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Not sure of the exact regs here, but was totally surprised last summer when I was able to renew mine online, at age 72, then. Figured I'd at least need to go in for the minimal vision check... but maybe covid did the job for me.

Dad gave up his when he was around 90, when he realized his attention wasn't as good as it should be. MIL about the same age, but only after her second (very minor!) accident. :facepalm: Thankfully she realized she couldn't safely drive any more before anything serious.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Been away from the computer all week, so a belated thank you for the birthday wishes.

Willie ... great pictures. So glad you got to meet her and are staying in contact.

Happy Birthday, Mike.

PW ... glad you found the lounge and joined us here. I agree too bad the Porches fell in to disrepair and the Front Porch has been closed due to lack of activity. Not even sure if the Back Porch is still 'open'. Janet was trying to make the occasional post there to keep it from being boarded up like the Front Porch.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 5, 2009
    Lower Mich.
    Good rainy morning!

funny-coffee-quotes2.jpg

I swear that it's springtime....rain..rain..rain...and a few thunderstorms! The weather here has been wacky!!!

And so has my pc!

Hope everyone has a good day!

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2013
    MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
    @DavidOck Perfect timing on that cartoon! I was just talking to my DH this morning about cutting the salt. He's been very bad lately and, as a result, me too. Somehow chips keep jumping into his shopping cart !! :shock:

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it today. TGIF!!

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2011
    Hola .. :)

Spent some time yesterday on some on-site work installing an old vintage multi-channel mixer .. I'll take $300 clams for 2 hours work any day .. :)

If you HULU .. there is a New York Times investigational piece on the debacle of JUUL .. it's a bit fluffy but only about an hour long ..

Users who are viewing this thread