Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

LovesButtercups

Feb 26, 2015
TN, USA
As usual, the weather in TN has no idea what it wants to do. I woke up to see a couple inches of snow, but as I was fixing my first cup of coffee, it turned to rain. I stepped out on the deck just a minute ago when I went to the kitchen for cup #2 - rain getting bit heavier. The snow that we had on the ground is now a translucent slush. I wish it would all dry up and go away, but I don’t think Mother Nature takes requests. :confused:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, all.

Yep, on that note, our 39 is a heat wave! And, hard to believe, a third day in a row without rain! Some light rain in the 'cast for midweek, but not like we've been getting.

2217345.jpg

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
A couple of weeks ago I 'remembered' something from when I was little...
So I went down the Google rabbit hole and found what I was looking for (and bought one).
Catalytic Lamp
https://maison-berger.com/pages/our-history

Maison Berger : https://maison-berger.com/
Ashley & Burwood : Ashleigh & Burwood | English Home Fragrance

Googling brings up some interesting reads googling stuff like "catalytic lamps and covid"
https://www.cleantheair.co.uk/blogs/news/fragrance-lamps-help-remove-airbourne-coronavirus
Catalytic inactivation of SARS coronavirus, Escherichia coli and yeast on solid surface

Google also offers DIY stuff for the fuel uses 91% isopropyl alcohol and fragrance.
This one is easy :

I wonder if anyone has an antique one stashed that they wondered what the heck it was ?
Anyhoo...maybe I'll get a new trend started :lol:

Never heard of these, but I'm intrigued! You don't have to plug it in! I've spent the last hour looking at the all! They're everywhere!

Hola .. :)

Yeah, but the original box would always likely be worth more than a custom wood box .. folks are always willing to pay extra if you've got the box it came in ..

Yeah, well, in my opinion one that you made would be WAY more valuable!

As usual, the weather in TN has no idea what it wants to do. I woke up to see a couple inches of snow, but as I was fixing my first cup of coffee, it turned to rain. I stepped out on the deck just a minute ago when I went to the kitchen for cup #2 - rain getting bit heavier. The snow that we had on the ground is now a translucent slush. I wish it would all dry up and go away, but I don’t think Mother Nature takes requests. :confused:

63 days until Spring!!

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
Good freezing morning. Yes, I was out there at sun up this morning. I had a sleep-over sleep study at a sleep lab last night. It was damn cold when I left there this morning.
<snip>
I wanted to do one of those sleep studies but ran into a serious snag. I can't sleep with any kind of clothing. It pulls and drags when I move and it instantly wakes me up. We never came to any useful agreement about how or whether a scientifically trained medical person could (or would) deal with the sight of my (generally obese and unattractive) body. The upshot was that they couldn't allow me to sleep in the only way I can sleep.
And we didn't even get into whether I would be able to semi-wake and take a couple of puffs off my vaping rig every few hours. (It's absolutely forbidden anywhere on hospital property.)

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan

Yeah, but the original box would always likely be worth more than a custom wood box .. folks are always willing to pay extra if you've got the box it came in ..
When we built our fancy house, I specified that there would be special storage under each of the sixteen built-in display cabinets to preserve the original boxes for each of the objects on display. That way the original box would never be far from its original content.
EDIT: Of course, when we had to sell that house and move, the moving company packed the objects and the boxes separately and put them in different moving cartons, so I don't know where either of them are located anymore.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I wanted to do one of those sleep studies but ran into a serious snag. I can't sleep with any kind of clothing. It pulls and drags when I move and it instantly wakes me up. We never came to any useful agreement about how or whether a scientifically trained medical person could (or would) deal with the sight of my (generally obese and unattractive) body. The upshot was that they couldn't allow me to sleep in the only way I can sleep.
And we didn't even get into whether I would be able to semi-wake and take a couple of puffs off my vaping rig every few hours. (It's absolutely forbidden anywhere on hospital property.)

My room had it' own bathroom, so when I'd wake for a 'pee' call, the tech would come and unhook me , and while in the bathroom I'd take a few vapes, then go back to the 'bedroom'.

Not me, just a stock picture, but they surely do wire you up.

IMG_1138.JPG

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA

Hmmm, I can see where that would pose some problems. They do video you sleeping. There are home sleep studies which would be better for you, not sure if they want that videoed, but might be something to look into.

Mike's apnea definitely improved when he lost 30 lbs. His O2 goes down considerably when he sleeps on his back and the snoring is awful too. Maybe I need to tape a tennis ball on his back to keep him on his side?

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Hmmm, I can see where that would pose some problems. They do video you sleeping. There are home sleep studies which would be better for you, not sure if they want that videoed, but might be something to look into.

Mike's apnea definitely improved when he lost 30 lbs. His O2 goes down considerably when he sleeps on his back and the snoring is awful too. Maybe I need to tape a tennis ball on his back to keep him on his side?

Pre-Vape, I was once crowned King of the Snore .. Breathe Rights were an essential gear .. for a time, I was addicted to nasal spray, which ended up making it even worse ..

Post-Vape, after a time, things began to tamper down .. I think most folks snore to a degree, so it did not go away but it became substantially less .. and, to boot, my waking breathing is pretty good now as well ..

Long ago Spousal commentary would include, but not limited to ::

Hey, you just blew the door off in the other room ..
I thought a freight train was going thru the bedroom ..
Did you hear that tornado last night .. ??
I can no longer sleep in the same room as you ..
The living room is not even close to the bedroom, but I can't hear the TV
Get help or I'm outa here ..

I thought Mike was on one of them thar breathing mask machines .. ??

LovesButtercups

Feb 26, 2015
TN, USA
Hello, Lizards!

I worked from home today, and actually got a lot of stuff done in spite of the worse-than-normal lag on my VPN connection. It felt good to cross several items off my task list! Some days I end up adding more items than crossing off…those are usually the days my boss is working on HIS task list :-x

It was in the mid-30’s and overcast today, so not a lot of snow melted. We ended getting about 3” on Sunday. I cleaned off my car a little while ago so I wouldn’t have to worry with it in the morning. I guess my “inner child” is alive and well because it was thoroughly delighted to push a big, solid sheet of ice/snow off the roof of the car and watch it hit the ground lol.

I hope you all are staying warm and having a good evening! :wub:

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA

Pre-Vape, I was once crowned King of the Snore .. Breathe Rights were an essential gear .. for a time, I was addicted to nasal spray, which ended up making it even worse ..

Post-Vape, after a time, things began to tamper down .. I think most folks snore to a degree, so it did not go away but it became substantially less .. and, to boot, my waking breathing is pretty good now as well ..

Long ago Spousal commentary would include, but not limited to ::

Hey, you just blew the door off in the other room ..
I thought a freight train was going thru the bedroom ..
Did you hear that tornado last night .. ??
I can no longer sleep in the same room as you ..
The living room is not even close to the bedroom, but I can't hear the TV
Get help or I'm outa here ..

I thought Mike was on one of them thar breathing mask machines .. ??

Yep, he does use one of those breathing mask machines. I was doing the happy dance from the day he started using it because there is NO snoring!! Don't know if it works that way for everyone. We had a friend who snored so loud I was sure his neighbors could hear him when he slept. His wife had to sleep with ear plugs.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
There are home sleep studies which would be better for you
I eventually did exactly that: got wired up and tried to sleep. They were particularly looking for sleep apnea (which I used to have). I have always known that I would stop breathing periodically, and resume with a gasp. I have had chronic sinus congestion since I was a teen and have to breathe through my mouth. This dries my mouth and I periodically have to stop breathing to remoisten my mouth and lips. Awake OR asleep.
My solution was to wipe a little Vaseline® on the inside of my lower lip. This keeps my lower lip from splitting and waking me up. I can then breathe through my mouth by flaring my tongue out between my molars (which also solves an unrelated teeth-grinding issue). Now the only thing that dries out is the roof of my mouth and a strip down the center of my tongue. I can sleep through that. I keep trying to explain this, and my medical record is peppered with things like, "Patient claims he can cure sleep apnea with vaseline," or "Patient claims vaseline on lip prevents sleep apnea." (You can hear the sneer.) My wife reports otherwise; I no longer wake her up because I'm not breathing, or when I gasp.

Back to the home sleep study. It turns out that I do still have episodes of sleep apnea, but they're rare, they don't last long, and my blood-O₂ never drops dangerously.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Been binge watching a Netflix series (4 seasons, 24 episodes) that is a lot of fun. Last tango in Halifax. It has everything in it. Adultery, a nymphomaniac, murder, a gay couple, divorce, beautiful countryside and a geriatric couple who reunite after 60 years and marry.

Reminds me of a soap opera and quite entertaining.

LovesButtercups

Feb 26, 2015
TN, USA
Been binge watching a Netflix series (4 seasons, 24 episodes) that is a lot of fun. Last tango in Halifax. It has everything in it. Adultery, a nymphomaniac, murder, a gay couple, divorce, beautiful countryside and a geriatric couple who reunite after 60 years and marry.

Reminds me of a soap opera and quite entertaining.

That does sound interesting! I think we cancelled our Netflix several months ago, but Hubs is considering renewing it. I’ll have to keep that show in mind.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Netflix went up in price, again .. :(

I always figured streaming would make it cheaper to get content .. at this point, I'm spending more .. my Spectrum package runs $161.00 a month, then there is Netflix, HBO MAX, HULU (which is the best deal since I bagged .99 cents a month during Black Friday), Disney+ .. maybe another one or two I can't remember ..

Cancelled Showtime this morning since I'd pretty well milked that one .. only got it so I could watch the 'Dexter' new series .. put Amazon on hiatus until the new 'Lord of the Rings' series comes out ..

LovesButtercups

Feb 26, 2015
TN, USA
Hi, Lizards -

I hope everyone is having a good day!

I had a dentist appointment this morning, which wasn’t the most fun way to start the day. I had a cleaning and x-rays, luckily no issues were found with my teeth. While the lady was doing my cleaning, she mentioned that my gums weren’t looking so hot. She asked me if I had changed anything in my dental care routine or had any new health issues or medications since my last visit. I told her everything was the same except that I had quit smoking (I didn’t mention vaping). She told me that sometimes you can’t tell there’s issues with a smoker’s gums until they stop smoking, because the nicotine and other chemicals can shrink the gum tissue and make the capillaries smaller, which leads to less bleeding than normal from problem areas. :eek: Then I got a short lecture about flossing, which I completely deserve. I hate flossing, unless something is stuck in my teeth lol. Hopefully I can get my gums into better shape before my next visit.

There’s more rain/sleet/snow in the forecast for tomorrow night, but the worst of it should be far enough north to avoid any accumulation. I hope the forecasters are right…guess I’ll find out soon enough!

Users who are viewing this thread