Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Hi, Lizards -

I hope everyone is having a good day!

I had a dentist appointment this morning, which wasn’t the most fun way to start the day. I had a cleaning and x-rays, luckily no issues were found with my teeth. While the lady was doing my cleaning, she mentioned that my gums weren’t looking so hot. She asked me if I had changed anything in my dental care routine or had any new health issues or medications since my last visit. I told her everything was the same except that I had quit smoking (I didn’t mention vaping). She told me that sometimes you can’t tell there’s issues with a smoker’s gums until they stop smoking, because the nicotine and other chemicals can shrink the gum tissue and make the capillaries smaller, which leads to less bleeding than normal from problem areas. :eek: Then I got a short lecture about flossing, which I completely deserve. I hate flossing, unless something is stuck in my teeth lol. Hopefully I can get my gums into better shape before my next visit.

There’s more rain/sleet/snow in the forecast for tomorrow night, but the worst of it should be far enough north to avoid any accumulation. I hope the forecasters are right…guess I’ll find out soon enough!
    If you are interested, Paradontax toothpaste and Listerine Gum Therapy Anti Gingivitis Mouthwash, glacier mint are great along with water flosser (there are several brands, some not very expensive). For me, easier than regular flossing. I put warm water with a bit of the mouthwash in the flosser.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2011
    SE Michigan
    40˚ here in SE Michigan, but expected to drop to 14˚ over the next 24 hrs.

<snip> I told her everything was the same except that I had quit smoking (I didn’t mention vaping). She told me that sometimes you can’t tell there’s issues with a smoker’s gums until they stop smoking, because the nicotine and other chemicals can shrink the gum tissue and make the capillaries smaller, which leads to less bleeding than normal from problem areas. <snip>

Well, keep up the vaping, and do tell your dentist about your vaping. We want every medical professional to know that vaping works, and that vaping does not harm their own patients (no matter what the media says).

In my own case, my dentist had warned me that my mouth was full of leukoplakias (little white spots that frequently turn into mouth cancer). I had many other dental problems including gum problems. About that time (ten years ago) I quit smoking and began vaping (which I still do). After five years, he told me that I had the "mouth of a never-smoker".

The surgeon that removed my lung cancer (developed 10 years after I quit smoking) was very critical of my vaping, but at one point he confessed that he didn't really know very much about vaping - he just didn't like it because of things he had seen in non-medical media. I'm hoping his opinion is beginning to change.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Morning, misfits.

Light rain in the guess, temps still a liveable mid 40s. :)

Cabin fever affecting the spouse, so a bookstore run is in the cards. Uh, yeah, cabin fever, so get more books? :lol:

I had a dentist appointment this morning, which wasn’t the most fun way to start the day. I

So a mix of good and bad news ;)

I use a mix of Listerine and hydrogen peroxide, about half and half, with a generous dose of salt. And a toothpaste with Stannous Flouride, which has some anti-bacterial qualities that the other flourides don't have. And, yes, diligent flossing! Been confounding my dentist for 20+ years :) (And yes, they know I vape, and are happy I quit smoking.)

2218767.gif

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    Netflix went up in price, again .. :(

I always figured streaming would make it cheaper to get content .. at this point, I'm spending more .. my Spectrum package runs $161.00 a month, then there is Netflix, HBO MAX, HULU (which is the best deal since I bagged .99 cents a month during Black Friday), Disney+ .. maybe another one or two I can't remember ..

Cancelled Showtime this morning since I'd pretty well milked that one .. only got it so I could watch the 'Dexter' new series .. put Amazon on hiatus until the new 'Lord of the Rings' series comes out ..
    When we cancelled cable we only got Netflix (the cheapest one) and Britbox (those british shows are overall much classier than US ones). Between those two and some many free older movies on youtube, pluto and tubi we never run out of stuff to watch. We considered amazon but they charge extra for so many of the new movies and series and I object to that.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    @DavidOck why salt?

Edit: I googled your mix and all vetted websites say to use 1 part 3% peroxide to 2 parts distilled water. What’s the reason you use 1 to 1?

Is It Safe to Gargle With Hydrogen Peroxide?

Uh, it's easy? One of my daughters has used only peroxide for years, no issues. Me, well, that's not a flavor I can really adjust to, undiluted! Figure the combination of the alcohol in the Listerine and the peroxide (yes, household type!) will combat most any bug that wants to live. The salt? Well, for years my dentist has recommended warm salt rinses after major procedures. Antiseptic as well. Yes, my dentist and hygenist know my "mix", and both are ok with it. They've been working on my mouth for 20 + years, are always surprised that despite fighting gum disease for that long, I still have teeth. And that I've drastically slowed the progress.

The mouthwash mix? The stannous flouride toothpaste? Diligent brushing and flossing? All three? Who knows, but whichever (or all), it seems to be keeping the deterioration to a minimum.

Yeah, not scientific. :lol:

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 26, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA
    Hola .. :)

Todays FYI ::

The Free Covid Test ordering is live, if you want them .. me, I don't get what all the frenzy is over testing ..

COVIDtests.gov - Free at-home COVID-19 tests
    I ordered the test. The ones I had in the house that my daughter had ordered were inconclusive. So now I will see if it is still in my system. That is if the test is any better.

I'm still depressed and can't sleep. I've given up going to bed, so I just sit in my recliner and doze with a book on my lap and the cat on my chest.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Morning, all.

Rain. Again. Warmish. Maybe a sign of a break for those to the east... in a few days!

so I just sit in my recliner and doze with a book on my lap and the cat on my chest.

Well, at least you have a nice heated and vibrating blanket ;)

2219224.gif

• Love
    Reactions: clnire

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    It's snowing ... I don't want snow. I have to go to a Dr. appointment later today and don't relish putting up with yucky roads. Its supposed to stop by 11am this morning and the temp is 34o so I should be OK by late afternoon.

LovesButtercups

Feb 26, 2015
    TN, USA
    If you are interested, Paradontax toothpaste and Listerine Gum Therapy Anti Gingivitis Mouthwash, glacier mint are great along with water flosser (there are several brands, some not very expensive). For me, easier than regular flossing. I put warm water with a bit of the mouthwash in the flosser.

Actually, I had been wondering about those water flossers! My teeth are super close together, and flossing is kind of hard. I also have a filling with a bit of a jagged edge that tends to shred floss, and I’m always a little worried I’ll accidentally yank it out. I have a coworker who swears by his water flosser. He says it’s a bit messy until you get the hang of it, but totally worth it.

Thanks for the mouthwash/toothpaste ideas…I’ve not tried either one before, so maybe I’ll give them a shot!

LovesButtercups

Feb 26, 2015
    TN, USA
    40˚ here in SE Michigan, but expected to drop to 14˚ over the next 24 hrs.

Well, keep up the vaping, and do tell your dentist about your vaping. We want every medical professional to know that vaping works, and that vaping does not harm their own patients (no matter what the media says).

In my own case, my dentist had warned me that my mouth was full of leukoplakias (little white spots that frequently turn into mouth cancer). I had many other dental problems including gum problems. About that time (ten years ago) I quit smoking and began vaping (which I still do). After five years, he told me that I had the "mouth of a never-smoker".

The surgeon that removed my lung cancer (developed 10 years after I quit smoking) was very critical of my vaping, but at one point he confessed that he didn't really know very much about vaping - he just didn't like it because of things he had seen in non-medical media. I'm hoping his opinion is beginning to change.

I may ‘fess up to my vaping next time…probably should have this time, but I thought he might blame the vape for my suddenly crappy gums. Some medical professionals are so open to vaping, but some act like it’s just as bad as smoking. I have a cousin that is a specialized organ transplant nurse (or something to that effect)…she swears that vaping is much worse than smoking. She was giving my mom a lecture for vaping at a reunion a couple years ago. My mom was rather amused (at her age, she couldn’t care less lol). Luckily, this cousin lives several states away and we don’t see her very often!

Stories like yours are reason enough for me to believe that vaping is far better than smoking. I’m sure it would be healthier to not vape at all, but there’s just no way it can be worse than cigarettes (as long as you’re being responsible and not vaping anything crazy, anyway).

LovesButtercups

Feb 26, 2015
    TN, USA
    I use a mix of Listerine and hydrogen peroxide, about half and half, with a generous dose of salt. And a toothpaste with Stannous Flouride, which has some anti-bacterial qualities that the other flourides don't have. And, yes, diligent flossing! Been confounding my dentist for 20+ years :) (And yes, they know I vape, and are happy I quit smoking.

Well, you had me up until the part about peroxide. That sounds just awful! I guess it would be better than rotten gums, but it still may take me a little while to get the nerve to try it! :confused: Sounds like it works well, so at least that’s encouraging.

I forgot to floss before I left the house this morning but had some floss in my desk drawer at work. I flossed first thing when I got there so I wouldn’t get busy and forget again lol. Supposedly it takes 30 days to create a new habit, so I’m slogging through it.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Actually, I had been wondering about those water flossers! My teeth are super close together, and flossing is kind of hard. I also have a filling with a bit of a jagged edge that tends to shred floss, and I’m always a little worried I’ll accidentally yank it out. I have a coworker who swears by his water flosser. He says it’s a bit messy until you get the hang of it, but totally worth it.

Thanks for the mouthwash/toothpaste ideas…I’ve not tried either one before, so maybe I’ll give them a shot!
    There are lots of models and price points. I owned a waterpick before but it died after a year so I decided to go with this one:
    Robot or human?

Users who are viewing this thread