Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
@Diver9543
FC9DD090-9BB5-46B3-A154-298BD98F03A0.jpeg

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, all.

Apparently the rain that was supposed to taper off overnight didn't watch the forecast. But temps (barely) over freezing, heading back to the high 40s.

How did they jaunt go yesterday, Mike? Hope you avoided all the crazies!!

Well, you had me up until the part about peroxide. That sounds just awful! I guess it would be better than rotten gums, but it still may take me a little while to get the nerve to try it! :confused: Sounds like it works well, so at least that’s encouraging.

Yeah, hence my 50/50 mix. The peroxide gets pretty faint tasting :)

2219472.gif

Dang supply chain issues!!

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Freezing down here like @FranC I used to say half the fun of getting cold is getting warm again. Right now, I'm not sure when I'll be warm again, maybe August? February is usually a tough month, but fortunately it's short! @Janet H How many days until spring? LOL.

I signed up for Medicare online and, to my surprise, it was approved in 48 hrs. Now to wait for the official card so I can file the paperwork for the supplemental and part d plans I've picked. Spring will bring doctor visits that I've put off so they didn't hit my current health insurance deductible. I'll also get a little more in my pocket. Medicare, supplemental, and part d combined will cost less than my current health insurance. Work pays 75% so my 25% contribution $ will go down. Adding to that - one medication that now costs $140 for a 3-month supply will cost $44/year! Crazy.

I've been lurking, not up to chatting. Work is busy (year end and tax prep) and it will get worse until the end of June (new software implementation, it will be great when it's done, but I'm expecting the process to be challenging). TGIF and best to all!

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
None of my docs know I vape. They know I quit smoking. I don’t want to hear their lectures and without telling them I vape there is no way to know if they are truly informed.
I'd recommend putting up with the lectures. Fully informed caregivers are a great asset. Besides, it helps us all when members of the medical profession can see with their own eyes how their patients thrive while vaping instead of smoking.
I keep my caregivers apprised of a great many things that are embarrassing and/or informative, like how much I drink, the strength of my ejuice (65 mg/ml) and the like.
I also keep very close track of my medical records, and have found some really inaccurate things where they misinterpreted something I said or maybe just didn't listen as carefully as they should have.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
I also have a filling with a bit of a jagged edge that tends to shred floss, and I’m always a little worried I’ll accidentally yank it out.
Your dentist can file that jagged edge down (and should). It's pretty easy; he (she?) just slips a bit of very thin sandpaper between the problem teeth and pulls it back and forth a few times until the floss will move smoothly through the gap.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, all.

Same wrong forecast, maybe the clouds are getting the weather from a different station....

Yep, get those records, they're yours! One of the "nice" things about how so many are now doing all that online, we have access to pretty much all of it from the comfort of our computer.

2216314.jpg

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Hola .. :)

Medical records .. ?? I get a check up every six months .. it's pretty comprehensive .. my DR tells me what condition I'm in at that point as well as whatever he may think I need to do or change .. it's pretty much the same drill each and every time, knock on wood .. the VA keeps all that stuff on line, so I suppose, if I wanted to examine it, I could .. I just am not interested in examining it .. I live by the creed 'Leave well enough alone ..' .. I carry enough paranoia around on a daily basis without adding another layer of 'What does this test mean .. ??' .. etc ..

Does he know I vape .. ?? Well sure, from the time I quit the smokes he knows, and it's been a good long time .. 10 - 11+ years anyway .. he shrugs it off, has no opinion and does not give me a lecture .. at my age, I'm going to do what I'm going to do ..

His nurse, Patty, vapes and has for some years .. we talk about it when she checks me in and does the pre-screen before I see my DR ..

The fact is, I'm proud of getting off the smokes after so, so many years of sucking down Marlboro Reds .. so, yeah, I'm going to tell them ..

Last edited:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
As an addendum ::

I never much paid attention to the negative stuff that comes down on the vape .. I breath better, I feel better, I don't smell like an ashtray and I'm saving a crap ton of money .. that sounds like a win to me any way you want to slice it ..

Is it better for you .. ?? .. I have no idea .. logic would say it is, but I think the jury may still be out on the long term ..

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull has claimed for a long time that his COPD was caused by on stage fog machines .. in my own work on the road, I used these machines for years on a weekly basis or more .. I don't have COPD ..

Health, in my opinion, is a crap shoot .. the luck of the draw .. genetic composition, etc .. you can be the cleanest living, most exercise driven person on the Planet, eat like a health nut and all that, but, if the Reaper comes a knockin', sayonara .. Can you improve your odds .. ?? Well, I suppose so .. I just decided a long time ago I would never live like a monk .. you only get one go round ..

And, when I face the end, all I ask is let it be fast and painless ..

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Is it better for you .. ?? .. I have no idea .. logic would say it is, but I think the jury may still be out on the long term ..

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull has claimed for a long time that his COPD was caused by on stage fog machines .. in my own work on the road, I used these machines for years on a weekly basis or more .. I don't have COPD ..

True, it's not been around long enough for any long term studies, even if they were objective.

True, too, that my chest "rattle" from smoking went away about a month after I switched, that my dentist is happy with the non-progress of deterioration (see prior post), which I chalk up to no more tar (and other stuff in combust tobacco.)

IIRC the fog machines use mostly VG, but one would have to be a really competitive cloud chaser to inhale that much, compared to what he got over the course of a concert!

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
It was a crunchy 14 degrees when I got up this morning. It's going up to 35 with a snow shower tonight. Looks like I'll miss seeing the snow fall again. 56 days till Spring!!

As an addendum ::

I never much paid attention to the negative stuff that comes down on the vape .. I breath better, I feel better, I don't smell like an ashtray and I'm saving a crap ton of money .. that sounds like a win to me any way you want to slice it ..

Health, in my opinion, is a crap shoot .. the luck of the draw .. genetic composition, etc .. you can be the cleanest living, most exercise driven person on the Planet, eat like a health nut and all that, but, if the Reaper comes a knockin', sayonara .. Can you improve your odds .. ?? Well, I suppose so .. I just decided a long time ago I would never live like a monk .. you only get one go round ..

And, when I face the end, all I ask is let it be fast and painless ..

Totally agree with you. I can't help but believe that not breathing in all the burned smoke from cigarettes has to be better for you, but most people against vaping only think of the nic as being lethal. I've exhausted myself trying to explain it and I refuse to argue with someone who is practically militant about it. Just don't want the hassle anymore. I feel better and I enjoy vaping and that's enough. Do you know if Ian Anderson smoked?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, misfits.

A balmy 32, heading for 45ish, and, gasp, a dry day! Makes two in a row ;)

Yeah, it seems most people don't understand what "harm reduction" means. Uh, most places have seat belt laws. Do they prevent car crashes? Nope. But if you're in one, they reduce the risk of severe harm. But, well, no, they don't prevent crashes, so why use 'em????

2216554.jpg

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Yeah, it seems most people don't understand what "harm reduction" means. Uh, most places have seat belt laws. Do they prevent car crashes? Nope. But if you're in one, they reduce the risk of severe harm. But, well, no, they don't prevent crashes, so why use 'em????

Hola .. :)

Kind of like getting a vaccine .. o_O

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Ugh! I'm officially tired of being cold. Mike is right, there's something about getting up from a nap that makes the whole house feel so much colder. Maybe we need a bigger fireplace. We could put one of those big Viking logs in it and just let it burn till Spring. By-the-way, 55 days to go.

Users who are viewing this thread