Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

phill_nz

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2018
Fly fishing and fly tying have been a life long pastime for me, about 40 years ago when I was working too hard and too long my wife thought I needed a hobby. I had no clue what fly fishing or tying was all about at the time, she bought me a basic starter kit for fly tying one Christmas. I opened the package of fur and feathers and thought she gave me some craftsy kit actually meant for our daughter. Little did she know at the time what 'she started'.

i watched my grandfather for hours and hours tying flys when i was a kid .. always amazed me .. my father only made perfect copies from instructions
my endeavors are more towards what i have onhand and what i want it to look like so only use instructions as a guideline ( my specialty seems to be a maggot on size 18's - 22's )
sadly not much trout fishing in my area so my loomis 1088 gets almost no use at all ( shameless brag )
wait till you start collecting cane rods .. i inherited a few

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Good afternoon everyone! I hope everyone has a good day today! I posting reruns now. Sorry lol
2472e09260c1dff6717f202e14e8d8bd.jpg

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
wait till you start collecting cane rods .. i inherited a few

A series cane rod person I'm not. I never caught that fever, thankfully. That said, I do have a couple of cane rods just because. One is an old Orvis the other is a South Bend - Black Beauty. The Orivs I picked up a long time ago just to have a cane rod. The Black Beauty I bought because I liked the name. Duh! The South Bend was just a production rod back in the 40's and probably sold for around $12 back then. I paid quite a bit more because they are a low end collectors rod here in the good ol' USofA.

Tying vises were my weakness. At one time I had close to 20 of them. Most were vintage collectables. I've since sold them off and just have 4 now that I actually use. Well 2 of them I use for tying ... and 2 have a fly in the jaws and sit atop my roll top tying desk just because they look good there.

phill_nz

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2018
i started with cane rods when i was 8 or 9 and used them till my father had a fibreglass custom built for himself and didnt like it
my cane rods now are mostly sealey but there is a really nice custom about 10' 9-10 weight as well
i was often in trouble for breaking the tips ...kids what can you do

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
i started with cane rods when i was 8 or 9 and used them till my father had a fibreglass custom built for himself and didnt like it
my cane rods now are mostly sealey but there is a really nice custom about 10' 9-10 weight as well
i was often in trouble for breaking the tips ...kids what can you do

Not just kids ... I've a friend (adult size) who has broken 2 tips on very expensive custom cane rods on the same day! I told him, maybe take up bowling. :D

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Good morning,Gracie and Janet:) 9 here.

That's why I don't live farther north than eastern Pennsylvania! Funny, I have a friend from Massachusetts who lived around the corner for several years before returning home. While visiting her once I was saying how nice it was there and it was a shame that their winters were so hard. She said they didn't get much more snow than we had in PA. A few years later we had a pretty snowy winter and she was telling me they had to hire someone to get the 2' of snow off their roof so it wouldn't cave in and then got several more feet of before winter finally ended!! The last time I remember getting 2' of snow here was 35 years ago!

I love a good snow storm, we just snuggle in for the duration. It's the aftermath that I really don't like. Dirty snow everywhere!! Interestingly enough, people in Denver don't know about dirty snow. Their storms move through and within hours, or at least a day or 2, it's all gone.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
@leftyandsparky @clnire has one of the best behaved dogs I know. I'm sure she can guide through pretty much anything dog related!

You make me blush :?::facepalm: But thank you! I am no expert but do have hands on experience with both my own dogs and other's. And I listen to customers.

ranjen617

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2014
Somewhere in mid - AL, USA
I won't quote all the Cat posts, however, any Pet that gets their own Anthem must have earned it somewhere along the line ::

Welcome Wagon called back .. :eek:

4bdaf980b96591e6736bb033f9a34445.jpg

There's so much truth to this. All the alcohol inn there is exactly what we need to keep our cool after they get into stuff aft times. Lol

Funny thing is, one of mine slid right into the end table to the sofa and lost her braking skills. Went straight into the small garbage can that I have set up for my sewing. In she went and looked up after jumping out as to why "I" did that to her. Oh my, still laughing!
You're right about their own anthem....who else but cats?

ranjen617

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2014
Somewhere in mid - AL, USA
Your bike sure is pretty!
Thank you and thank you!
It's been sitting outside for about a month. I actually vape and ride. Funny but true. Still have a lighter on it but that has a charger as well. Much easier to vape vs the analog use. Trust me!!!!

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Good morning everyone
2782a6fcfed49833636714b1c1fe5995.jpg

I don't think I told you about the 6 Monarch caterpillars we found on our milkweed 2 days ago? As you know we raise lots of butterflies every year…30/40 Fritillaries, 5-10 black swallowtails, 10-20 giant swallowtails and 30-40 monarchs. So I grow all the plants these cats eat. Normally we're done by November. But for whatever reason we had late laying monarchs this year.

These 6 are about a week from pupating then a couple weeks from becoming butterflies. Really late. I'm glad I found them because the last two nights we've been in the low thirties and they would have died. And monarch numbers are down because of all the habitat destruction so they need all the help they can get.

But I won't be able to release them here because it will be too cold. So we'll drive them south to Orlando for release. Hopefully their hatching will coincide with the dog show where we get to visit with Cathy :)wub:). If not we'll make a second trip which is not too bad because it means we get to eat at one of our two favorite restaurants, Sweet Tomatoes, twice :banana:

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Good morning everyone
    View attachment 785541

I don't think I told you about the 6 Monarch caterpillars we found on our milkweed 2 days ago? As you know we raise lots of butterflies every year…30/40 Fritillaries, 5-10 black swallowtails, 10-20 giant swallowtails and 30-40 monarchs. So I grow all the plants these cats eat. Normally we're done by November. But for whatever reason we had late laying monarchs this year.

These 6 are about a week from pupating then a couple weeks from becoming butterflies. Really late. I'm glad I found them because the last two nights we've been in the low thirties and they would have died. And monarch numbers are down because of all the habitat destruction so they need all the help they can get.

But I won't be able to release them here because it will be too cold. So we'll drive them south to Orlando for release. Hopefully their hatching will coincide with the dog show where we get to visit with Cathy :)wub:). If not we'll make a second trip which is not too bad because it means we get to eat at one of our two favorite restaurants, Sweet Tomatoes, twice :banana:
    We haven't seen a Monarch up here in years. We used to have lots of them in summer.

Users who are viewing this thread