Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
And, don't even get me started on the "Text, Fix Hair, Eat Lunch Concurrently Crowd" ..
Hmm...I wonder... if vehicles weren't all 'push button' and they had to all go back to a manual transmission....if it would alleviate some of that?...:blink:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Until last year, I drove a manual exclusively. I liked it, and felt I had either better control - or at least more alertness. Still, over the years, I've had several injuries that would have prevented me from driving for several weeks if they had occurred on the right side of my body. I now drive an automatic. I do notice that when I approach a stop, my right hand still drifts to the gear shift lever.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I do notice that when I approach a stop, my right hand still drifts to the gear shift lever.

Wife's car is automatic, and I do that as well.

Worse is that after driving it for a while and then getting back into mine, I'll approach the stop and forget! :facepalm:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Hmm...I wonder... if vehicles weren't all 'push button' and they had to all go back to a manual transmission....if it would alleviate some of that?...:blink:

Doubtful .. the Vehicle has become, apparently, the New Personal Space (NPS) .. (not that is was not a Personal Space in years gone by, but that was a different Personal Space ..) .. these folks are salivating over the Future Prospect of a Self Driving Car .. where you can just kick back and Let the Car Do The Driving .. (I have to admit, for many of todays Motorists, that could be an improvement in the safety area) ..

The first vehicle I ever drove was an old Chevy truck of my Grandpa's .. I was around 14 or so, spending the Summer with them .. 3 on the column stick .. now that I think about it, I can still recall the gear grinding and the "look" on his face, although, he was a patient man and still encouraged me .. I got pretty smooth with a stick, owned a 1970 Dodge Challenger along the way with the pistol grip floor shift Torqueflite 4 speed 426 Hemi during my Gearhead time .. that was one car I wished I still had .. along with the 1958 Les Paul I sold for dirt money to support my long ago "Bad Habits" ..

Brief Story :: I had a girlfriend along with my good buddy and his woman in the Challenger tooling down a twisting road from Cripple Creek, CO that led to Manitou Springs .. we were baked on more than one "substance" .. I think my Brain just shut off for a second and I shifted the Challenger into reverse while doing about 60 outside of a curve .. within a micro-second, I realized what I had done and shifted back into 4th gear .. the car didn't blink an eye, drove it for at least another couple years ..

Oh, the Good Old Days ..

dodge_challenger_1970_1970_dodge_challenger_5610003507135793851.jpg

Last edited:

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
Ah, you were teasing me out of my lurkdom! :sneaky:
:lol:...It worked...:) I do remember when you would post from time to time...;)
Doubtful .. the Vehicle has become, apparently, the New Personal Space (NPS) .. (not that is was not a Personal Space in years gone by, but that was a different Personal Space ..) .. these folks are salivating over the Future Prospect of a Self Driving Car .. where you can just kick back and Let the Car Do The Driving .. (I have to admit, for many of todays Motorists, that could be an improvement in the safety area) ..

The first vehicle I ever drove was an old Chevy truck of my Grandpa's .. I was around 14 or so, spending the Summer with them .. 3 on the column stick .. now that I think about it, I can still recall the gear grinding and the "look" on his face, although, he was a patient man and still encouraged me .. I got pretty smooth with a stick, owned a 1970 Dodge Challenger along the way with the pistol grip floor shift Torqueflite 4 speed 426 Hemi during my Gearhead time .. that was one car I wished I still had .. along with the 1958 Les Paul I sold for dirt money to support my long ago "Bad Habits" ..

Brief Story :: I had a girlfriend along with my good buddy and his woman in the Challenger tooling down a twisting road from Cripple Creek, CO that led to Manitou Springs .. we were baked on more than one "substance" .. I think my Brain just shut off for a second and I shifted the Challenger into reverse while doing about 60 outside of a curve .. within a micro-second, I realized what I had done and shifted back into 4th gear .. the car didn't blink an eye, drove it for at least another couple years ..

Oh, the Good Old Days ..

dodge_challenger_1970_1970_dodge_challenger_5610003507135793851.jpg
Sigh...you're right about them wanting a self driving car ...:( I always preferred to be in control of my vehicle...started with 4 on the floor and never looked back.

So...the Challenger didn't blink...did your passengers? :D

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Well, I've made it three years without a cigarette, and, truth be told, without even a strong desire for one.

Last year on this date I wrote a fairly extensive message thanking all the people on this website for not only helping educate me in the ways of vaping, but also for adding a great deal of joy to the journey. This year, I'll just say that still holds true.

I just never thought I could quit smoking after more than 45 years. I did, though. I quit. :banana:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Well, I've made it three years without a cigarette, and, truth be told, without even a strong desire for one.

Last year on this date I wrote a fairly extensive message thanking all the people on this website for not only helping educate me in the ways of vaping, but also for adding a great deal of joy to the journey. This year, I'll just say that still holds true.

I just never thought I could quit smoking after more than 45 years. I did, though. I quit. :banana:

Your presence has been fun for us, too!

bounce014.gif
Congarats.jpg
bounce014.gif

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Until last year, I drove a manual exclusively. I liked it, and felt I had either better control - or at least more alertness.
It also can help you stay awake. I used to drive on city streets instead of the highway when I needed a little help staying awake on my way home. It really helped.
I do notice that when I approach a stop, my right hand still drifts to the gear shift lever.
Mine too.

congrats balloons c.jpg

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
And, don't even get me started on the "Text, Fix Hair, Eat Lunch Concurrently Crowd" ..

Future Prospect of a Self Driving Car

Ah, but the future is here! I'm still getting used to the high tech that came with this car, a Honda Pilot.

I can text, fix my hair, eat my lunch while my car is 'driving me' down the highway at 70 mph. I just set the adaptive speed control, which automagically slows me down and keeps a safe following distance from the car in front of me if it's going slower than my 'set speed'. And if I roll out into the passing lane, it will increase again to my set speed.

Then I turn on my LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System) for autopilot and the car steers itself. Somewhat unnerving going around turns at 70 mph and having the steering wheel turn all by itself while I keep thinking ... I hope the dang computer controlling all this doesn't have a bug and I go shooting off the road.

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
Good morning, Loungers!

b6d8a20743a804777dde4cdb1086f620.jpg

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

pp%2C185x205-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u1.jpg

And we thank you too :toast:for your contributions around here.

Users who are viewing this thread